Which automatic 4 seat convertible for £10k-20k?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
Ah, wives. Bless them.

Have a 4 or 5 page thread going about our fleet changearound.
All change in Mrs JB's head now - to more or less what I had suggested was the sensible setup long before I started that thread :wallbash:
Won't bore you with the details, here is the question:

Including all makes, except BMW (she refuses to even touch the door handle on one, wonder if her first b/f had one? lol), we will need a 4 seat automatic convertible. It will be a daily driver, generally for her, I will have a 4x4 of some description which she will reluctantly borrow when she needs to do a big shop/take her parents out etc. I'd like it to not be too much of a sluggard, but cost effective to run. Back seats need to be suitable for adults (local journeys, longer will be in the 4x4).

We currently have an '06 Saab 9-3 convertible which we quite like, but this will be a big step up.

Thoughts? Observations?

Thanks

J

Budget? I saw an E class convertible not long after they came out a year or more back, looked lovely and had 4 adults in it! CLK of some description? Washing mouth out with soap and water, there's a 4 seat Audi convertible that looks quite acceptable.

Definitely a CLK - prettier than a E-class Cabrio

CLK63 AMG

I actually moved up from a SAAB Aero convertible to a CLK500 convertible, and didn't look back.

The CLK looks quite dainty really, and it does have a really plush ride. My old CLK500, which cost me £30,000 as a four year old car, can now be picked up for well under £10,000. It was a 54 plate vehicle.

If you are going for a CLK, try to get one with as many extras as possible. Memory seats. Heated and chilled seats. Harman Kardon. Et al.

I'd be buying a DCT M3 convertible

I looked at a 3 series before buying the CLK and the BM is NOT for 4 adult's...
I cranked the driver seat back to where i would be comfortable driving and an adult was never going to sit behind me...Not with a full compliment of leg's anyway!
My vote is CLK or E class as said above by SPX (he has probably had 1 of each going by his track record with car's:thumb:)

Tony.

Well it comes down to do you want to run a older car then without doubt the CLK is the car and at the bottom of what you are willing to pay,but I suspect you want a newer car so if you keep to Mercedes it has to be the E class but the ones with all the toys are right at the top of your £20,000,if you want a bigger engine best of the bunch is the E250,plenty of go nice one on autotrader in white but over your £20,000

I drove a SAAB 93 Aero convertible up until August last year, and having driven SAAB's for 20 years was somewhat saddened by the fact I'd have to change. I went for an E Class Convertible (ok it was new), but there's quite a number of E220/E250's on Auto Trader for your budget, some with very low mileage.
Remarkably, It's slightly narrower but slightly longer than the 93, and actually has a totally different feel to it, as there's very little roll which there was in the SAAB (Mine was MY06), but overall I'm extremely happy with the Merc so go for a test drive in one of them and suss it out for yourself.
As to your wife not touching BMW's, I would like to congratulate her on her exquisite taste :)

I drove a SAAB 93 Aero convertible up until August last year, and having driven SAAB's for 20 years was somewhat saddened by the fact I'd have to change. I went for an E Class Convertible (ok it was new), but there's quite a number of E220/E250's on Auto Trader for your budget, some with very low mileage.
Remarkably, It's slightly narrower but slightly longer than the 93, and actually has a totally different feel to it, as there's very little roll which there was in the SAAB (Mine was MY06), but overall I'm extremely happy with the Merc so go for a test drive in one of them and suss it out for yourself.
As to your wife not touching BMW's, I would like to congratulate her on her exquisite taste :)

Interesting to hear, our 9-3 is an '06 too.
Looked at the runout 9-3's which are at the bottom of our budget, but are just not "modern" enough for what we want in terms of telematics etc

So.
Seems like there is an uber short short-list.
C70 lovely from the outside but not keen on dash so that's out.
Lexus IS250 sounds underpowered and too small, that's out.
Vauxhall Cascada is...a Vauxhall. Out
Saab 9-3 just too old in terms of design we think.
BMW - nooooo

So Audi A5 and E Class convertible seem the only serious contenders.
On paper the Audi seems younger for the money, probably quicker depreciation I guess.
Pre-facelift E Class is within budget, facelift isn't. I half-think the pre-facelift is the nicer looking actually, when it comes to the cabrio. Not ont he estate/saloon though, where I prefer the look of the facelift. Odd aren't I ? lol
Going to try and view a couple locally back to back tomorrow. Wish us luck...

Last edited:
Curveball....Vauxhall Cascada, probably get a nearly new one for 20k if you're not too fussed about the badge...borrowed a fleet demo and, bar the horrible dash, it wasn't too bad and looked well with the 20s on it.

James

CLK350 petrol, happy medium really.

I too moved into a CLK from a Saab 9-3 convertible (57 reg) - is there a theme or a right of passage here.....

I miss the (remapped) 3rd Gear of the Saab, but the CLK is a step up in ride, quality and most other departments.

I did look at the Cascada, but the dash was a deal breaker for me as you have look at it all the time and its baaaaad (and the badge for the missus).

The A5 is a good cabrio IF the CLK or E class isn't for you. The new A3 with the 1.4ACT looks good on paper - but not with the back breaking sports suspension - which is a pity as Audi's look *carp* in SE trim imho.

CLK would be my number 1 choice (and was :bannana:)

The new A3 with the 1.4ACT looks good on paper - but not with the back breaking sports suspension - which is a pity as Audi's look *carp* in SE trim imho.

CLK would be my number 1 choice (and was :bannana:)

You can get the S Line with comfort suspension - indeed suspect the majority are ordered as cruisers with looks that way.

Agree the Cascada dash is a mess...shame she won't consider a BMW, I'm not normally a BMW fan but Do like the 6 Series cab...

I agree about the looks of the 6 series but the rear seating is a total joke.
Cascada will never happen.

Drove an a5 today, it drove well, but I will be honest and say I was a bit underwhelmed by the 2.0 diesel - it almost seemed "strangled" to me. I, and madam, are probably more drawn to the E Class - saw one, sat in, no time for test drive yet. Plus it was a banned colour (black) but had a gorgeous two tone interior. Which may stop black being banned...

IS 250C V6 Auto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom