Which bank?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lugy

Car
W140 S320
I'm looking to escape from the delightful banking establishment that is HBOS, the current favourite replacement is Clydesdale bank.

Any recommendations? It'd be nice to have someone that gives a hoot instead of making as much money as possible from me! It's just a basic current account and a savings account I'll be having.

:)

Forget Clydesdale if you're thinking of any on-line transactions. Clunky old website drives me mad. :wallbash: Slow, uninformative and crap back-up.

I've been with NatWest for 20 years and had very few issues. For ~£20/month I get a personal manager and other benefits (other banks are cheaper). Overall I can't say whether they are the best, but they're good enough for me.

Forget Clydesdale if you're thinking of any on-line transactions. Clunky old website drives me mad. :wallbash: Slow, uninformative and crap back-up.

I only ever use online banking to check my balance :eek:, is it good enough for that?

i've had my co-op a/c since i was 16 & a smile joint account for about 10 years. very rarely any problems & quickly sorted if anything does go wrong.

I'm looking to escape from the delightful banking establishment that is HBOS, the current favourite replacement is Clydesdale bank.

Any recommendations? It'd be nice to have someone that gives a hoot instead of making as much money as possible from me! It's just a basic current account and a savings account I'll be having.

:)

I thought all banks did that:D

So many variables and so many differing stories for the same product/service. I predict that this discussion will go the same way as "which tyres?" and especially "which insurance?" type threads!

For service, you cannot beat First Direct. Iwas with Abbey for 10 years and switched to FD a year ago, what a revalation.

If you need to pay in cheques etc, you can always pop in to your local HSBC.

i've had my co-op a/c since i was 16 & a smile joint account for about 10 years. very rarely any problems & quickly sorted if anything does go wrong.

+1

I have been with smile since not long after their inception and have never had any complaints. E-mail's are dealt with promptly and telephone calls are always met with courtesy and efficiency (and British call centres to boot).

Also have an Egg Savings and Credit Card - another company on par with smile for their customer services

I only ever use online banking to check my balance :eek:, is it good enough for that?

Yes if you just want the total. They don't show a running balance though which is crap for checking daily transactions that you may have thought were in error or that you don't understand. You may not like HBOS but their online banking is much much better. (I've got accounts with both banks BTW)

Co-Op would be good if you don't want money grabbers (being a mutual). Clydesdale aren't the sharpest when it comes to customer service i've found!

m.

If you are in the fortunate position of being able to keep a minimum £5k balance on your current account, I would recommend Cater Allen Private Bank (which was part of Abbey so is now part of Santander). I've been with them about 6 years now - it's great having a freephone number open until 11pm 7 days a week, a real person answering the phone quickly - prepaid envelopes to post stuff off to them (or pay in at NatWest).

If you are in the fortunate position of being able to keep a minimum £5k balance on your current account, I would recommend Cater Allen Private Bank (which was part of Abbey so is now part of Santander). I've been with them about 6 years now - it's great having a freephone number open until 11pm 7 days a week, a real person answering the phone quickly - prepaid envelopes to post stuff off to them (or pay in at NatWest).

IIRC Cater Allen will allow lower balances if recommended via some accountants. I use CA for my business banking and remember a similar requirement, but my account had negotiated a block agreement for all its customers for no minimum balance.

IIRC Cater Allen will allow lower balances if recommended via some accountants.

I don't know how I achieved it, but I have minimum balance exemption on both my sterling and my Euro account with CA! Theoretically I can run both down to zero without incurring charges! It might be because there were "teething problems" when I first opened the accounts (they screwed up royally but sorted it and paid "we're sorry" money without being asked!). I've also had a NatWest account since the late 1960's - CA leave them for dead!

I've been with NatWest for 20 years and had very few issues. For ~£20/month I get a personal manager and other benefits (other banks are cheaper). Overall I can't say whether they are the best, but they're good enough for me.

Nat West is one of the banks I have cash in but not for long I am in the process of moving it, saving rates are poor.

For service, you cannot beat First Direct. Iwas with Abbey for 10 years and switched to FD a year ago, what a revalation.

If you need to pay in cheques etc, you can always pop in to your local HSBC.

+1 (+2 if you include my dear old mum!!)

I have been with First Direct since more or less day one. Overall they are very good, and sort issues out quickly too. I like their Online Banking Plus package too, easily link all your finances (including supermarket loyalty points etc) in one spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom