Which? Big Switch plan to cut energy bills. Can this work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
FAQ

What is the Which? Big Switch?

Which? and 38 Degrees are calling on consumers to join together to cut energy bills. Using a completely new way for people to buy energy, we’ll be using the combined switching power of thousands of consumers. We’ll negotiate with energy suppliers and seek to secure a market leading deal. The more people who sign up, the stronger our bargaining power.

continues................

FAQ

What is the Which? Big Switch?

Ah yes. Which the consumer organisation that introduced its own credit card some years back.

And see question 15 in the FAQ.

Tainted.

Why tainted?

Are we Communists now? Is making money a crime or sin? Doesn't Which?, a charity, have all the bills & costs associated with a for-profit business & employ people who require paying? On the whole I'd say they do far more good than harm.

I can't see any down side for people signing up, it's a win win situation with nothing risked & nothing lost if Which? do not succeed. If they can do this & earn something while lowering my utility bills & / or scaring the big utility companies into reducing their tariffs then good for them.

Why tainted?

Are we Communists now? Is making money a crime or sin? Doesn't Which?, a charity, have all the bills & costs associated with a for-profit business & employ people who require paying? On the whole I'd say they do far more good than harm.

I can't see any down side for people signing up, it's a win win situation with nothing risked & nothing lost if Which? do not succeed. If they can do this & earn something while lowering my utility bills & / or scaring the big utility companies into reducing their tariffs then good for them.

The problem is Which.

As with its cack-handed entry into the credit card market it should learn to
maintain a barrier between the business it *recommends* and the business it *conducts*.

If it can't see that fundamental then as an organisation it is flawed - or as I put it - 'tainted'.

The problem is the government and OFGEN who should be far more pro active in protecting consumers rights from the small cartel of profiteering energy companies who motto seems to be ---oil and gas prices up = rapid increase to the consumer ------prices go down = we are seriously thinking about lowering the prices ------sometime soon. :rolleyes:

Europe's Energy Portal » Fuel Prices, Rates for Power & Natural Gas

Our gas prices are at the lower end of the European table. Our electricity prices aren't too bad either. I imagine the electricity prices could be cheaper if we had more nuclear power stations, but that debate is a can of worms.

But where's Norway- the other country with North Sea oil and gas reserves seems to be missing ?? :confused: The dependency table makes interesting reading with the gross energy consumption figures showing the UK second only to Germany and France in annual consumption--- then look at the net imports and dependency figures for these countries --- would you not expect our domestic energy costs as a Nation to be at the lower end anyway before profit is taken into account ?:dk:

p.s. On the nuclear front we took another step down the nuclear path on Friday of course.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17069455

Last edited:
The Big Six utility companies operate an unspoken cartel on the electricity & gas markets.

They're quick to raise and, at best, slow to lower retail prices to reflect changes in the wholesale market. My gas cost is 25% higher for the last 6 mths than the corresponding period a year ago, and that is with comparison shopping & changing suppliers. Increases of 18, 19, 20% p.a. & more are now the norm.

I hope Which? or some other organisation can break their stranglehold on the market & am supporting their campaign in the hope they can either succeed in offering a lower priced alternative or produce enough consumer agitation to light a fire under the Government or regulator to effect some change. In any event I figure I have nothing to lose by backing them.

Wholesale vs retail electricty and gas prices - YouTube

Last edited:
I hope Which? or some other organisation can break their stranglehold on the market & am supporting their campaign in the hope they can either succeed in offering a lower priced alternative or produce enough consumer agitation to light a fire under the Government or regulator to effect some change. In any event I figure I have nothing to lose by backing them.

Which? won't break the market stranglehold of the big six energy providers. That's the job of Ofgen and they have continually failed to do so despite their constant huffing and puffing.

A great idea it's about time the consumers exercised their power. I would join on the basis it would cost me nothing and might save on energy bills, unfortunately not being on the National Grid makes it a non starter for me.

If this scheme got off the ground and was a success, imagine what could be done with Banks etc.

I imagine the electricity prices could be cheaper if we had more nuclear power stations, but that debate is a can of worms.

I doubt that, nuclear electricity is heavily subsidised in most countries, including the UK.

My local council is doing exactly the same thing but on a more local level

South Holland | Latest News | Deal Offered for Cut-Price Fuel

In this case the only motive is to drive down prices as my council is not in this for the money. It's also a pretty small council at that.

I have expressed my interest as anything that drives down my energy bills has to be a good thing.

Will it work?

I have no idea but the thought is there.

I doubt that, nuclear electricity is heavily subsidised in most countries, including the UK.

One of the great things about nuclear energy is that it is subsidised by future generations. They are the ones that will end up paying for the decommissioning and cleanup.

Perhaps not tainted... but will it work? Some five years ago I joined Welcome to Pipeline Card! who tried to do the same for fuel prices... some five years later, they are still trying.

Perhaps not tainted... but will it work?

I don't know but I figure there's absolutely nothing to lose by signing up.

If anyone uses any other forums of any kind please post about this to spread the word & then if enough people sign up we'll see if it works.

Interestingly I had a survey from E.On recently asking for views on energy companies allowing groups of people to buy their energy supplies - groups being local communities, families, etc.

Interestingly I had a survey from E.On recently asking for views on energy companies allowing groups of people to buy their energy supplies - groups being local communities, families, etc.

I don't trust the energy companies not to do something that appears to save us money whilst making more profit out of us when they suggest proactive support for schemes like this.

Having yet to see them do anything other than find ways to make more money out of us (including some really devious manipulation of the press) I can't see them changing now.

As neilrr said, the cost of gas is at 2002 levels. My bill isn't

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom