Which boiler from these two?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harrythedog

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GLC 250 Sport Premium+
I'm looking to get a new boiler and I've narrowed it down to these two so any advice from the experts on here will be greatly appreciated.

1) Intergas Combi 36/30
or
2) Valiant Ecotec Exclusive 838 Combi

Internet reviews are the usual minefield with some loving and some hating the same boiler so I'm wondering if anyone has any specific experience of these two.
many thanks in advance

Just (last week) we had a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837 installed in our bungalow we are renovating.

Boiler was recommended and installed by my Brother's good friend.

Can't comment on reliability yet (!) but he swears by them, and if fitted by a Vaillant accredited installer they have a 5 year guarantee.

Which magazine also rates Vaillant as a best buy for reliability.

Cannot offer any advice on the other make though.

HTH

Vaillant-- been in the business of condensing boilers longer than most so most problems ironed out. Parent company on the continent was making them for years before any British manufacturer. Used to often be the manufacturer of choice when local authorities were upgrading their housing stock a few years back. A bit like modern cars boilers are quite complex bits of kit now so more likely to have faults-- but some more than others!

Last edited:
We really need a boiler & household and household appliance section on this forum.

I have a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 837 Combi which was fitted in April and has now had its first real cold spell. Hot water is close to instantaneous and good pressure (I had the mains connection upgraded) and heating is excellent. Seems to be very energy efficient. I made the mistake though of having two thermostats installed that have five different temperature possibilities per day as well as different ones on the weekend. Far too much hard work to sort out but I am getting the fine tuning right!

I have never used the intergas boiler so can't comment.

I would only ever fit a vaillant if I could, and always recomened them. These boilers are particularly easy to fix and diagnose (with in reason) when things go wrong.

I think the 5 year gaurente on the vaillant boiler expires in December.

I always fit vaillant... fitted one for my neighbour as I know it won't cause us to fallout. 'nuff said!

The Vaillant, fairly ordinary customer service but they rarely need it.

how do Valliant compare with the Worcester Bosch boilers please ?

being as all on here love and know our Bosch automotive products for
reliability, wondered if that also applied to their boilers.

how do Valliant compare with the Worcester Bosch boilers please ?

being as all on here love and know our Bosch automotive products for
reliability, wondered if that also applied to their boilers.

I understand it does.

Worcester been good for us over the last 4 years (once the bleed key that the numpty fitter had left in place was removed).

Of the 2, I'd go for Vaillant. Worth looking at Veismann and Bosch too though.

Harrythedog said:
I'm looking to get a new boiler and I've narrowed it down to these two so any advice from the experts on here will be greatly appreciated.

1) Intergas Combi 36/30
or
2) Valiant Ecotec Exclusive 838 Combi

Internet reviews are the usual minefield with some loving and some hating the same boiler so I'm wondering if anyone has any specific experience of these two.
many thanks in advance

Don't put gas boiler have air to water heat pump instead.

A few years ago I was in my pantry and the Vaillant started to spew out fierce flames. A bit of a scare.

I asked my gas guy what he thought the best replacement was and he recommended Glow Worm which is made by Vaillant. His opinion was that they were as good and considerably cheaper.

So far it hasn't tried to set the house on fire!

Last edited:
Worcester been good for us over the last 4 years (once the bleed key that the numpty fitter had left in place was removed).

What happened when the bleed key was left in?

I'm no expert and am planning to change out our boiler next year so will be consulting this efficiency database in due course: Sedbuk

At first glance I didn't spot the Valiant 838 (maybe I missed it). The Valiant 837 scores very well and slightly better than the Intergas 36/30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom