Which brakes to go for s212 e63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S212e63m157

Car
2014 e63 estate, 2018 bmw f30 m performance
Hi guys,

Hope you all are well in these difficult times, this is my first post so I’ll introduce myself a bit first. I’m 32 from Newcastle I’ve got a couple of businesses doing damp proofing and kitchen/bathrooms, also am a property investor and have a portfolio in Newcastle. I was a mechanic for 10 years before moving onto property. Currently got a white 2014 S212 e63 estate, had it a few weeks (previous car history w212 e63 saloon, m3, f type v6, evo’s)

I’m looking to keep this car for a couple of years at least, my previous e63 saloon I got to stage 2 (Gad tuning) and around 700bhp but the brakes weren’t the best at all and suffered from brake fade even though the pads were in good nick and discs not bad also.

I’m thinking of getting the tte900 package by msl to take to over 900bhp but first ( I’ll talk about this on another post after) I want to get some new front discs and pads. I know the brakes obviously aren’t cheap and believe me I’m not going for the cheapest option I want the best so can you guys give me some feedback on these discs and pads or if you have any better options to go for. When I say the best brakes I want a bite from the brake pedal at high speed, I won’t be going on track but will be doing a lot of high speed runs having to brake suddenly:-

This is the cheapest option with the 2 piece brembo discs and platinum pads (I’m a bit sceptical of the pads having never heard of them but could do this option without the pads and just go for oem pad option)

08E710BF-4D6F-45A1-9D10-8AF91FD1044E.jpeg

The second option is genuine discs and pads from Mercedes, you guys probably know this but it’s a lot cheaper getting these on eBay than it is going into Mercedes yourselfs. I rang up for this package from merc newcastle and was going to be over £1200 just for discs! I would prefer to go with the brembo or tarox 2 piece discs though so it helps dissipate the heat more plus looks better imo

9FF41234-D68C-44C1-9C8D-8C3B14FD1912.jpeg

lastly here me have the tarox discs, these are specially made to order from tarox in Italy themselves. One question tho guys are the s212 e63 discs the same as w212 e63 discs as tarox weren’t sure and these are made to order? For pads with these I was thinking ebc yellow stuff pads? I used these years ago on my 600bhp evo and they were good not sure on a car about 600kg more tho.

2B51CCFD-0572-47AB-9222-5C016BE92A07.jpeg

that’s it guys any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

I went with your top option without the pads and fitted TRW Low Dust GDB1734DTE pads. They work great and hardly any dust. You are making a lot more power than me as my car is standard so you will probably need some better pads.
I will say that the discs are great but expensive.

IMG_20191024_144019.jpg

Perhaps a bit more detail might help others advise.

Will you be tracking the car?

Is it a daily driver in all (wet, salty) weather or dry sunday car?

How many miles pa do you expect to do?

my previous e63 saloon I got to stage 2 (Gad tuning) and around 700bhp but the brakes weren’t the best at all and suffered from brake fade even though the pads were in good nick and discs not bad also.
Not wishing to appear rude, but unless you're running the car on a track (and an E63, despite it's multitude of talents, isn't a natural track weapon) I'd respectfully suggest that if you're regularly suffering from brake fade with the standard brake system you're running closer to the ragged edge than is entirely wise on public roads. And that comment is based on 70k+ miles driving E63 bi-turbo's.

If you are running it on a track, maybe the (very expensive) OEM CF option is worth looking into?

I went with your top option without the pads and fitted TRW Low Dust GDB1734DTE pads. They work great and hardly any dust. You are making a lot more power than me as my car is standard so you will probably need some better pads.
I will say that the discs are great but expensive.

View attachment 94723

I’m at standard power for now I might go stage 2 at msl or might just go straight for tte900 package in the not so distant future. Then brembo discs look awesome did you notice a good difference between the standard disc and pads?

Hi as mentioned in post it won’t be tracked its mainly to have the stopping power from high power when needed.
yes it will be a daily car and around 10k a year I would say! Thanks.

Not wishing to appear rude, but unless you're running the car on a track (and an E63, despite it's multitude of talents, isn't a natural track weapon) I'd respectfully suggest that if you're regularly suffering from brake fade with the standard brake system you're running closer to the ragged edge than is entirely wise on public roads. And that comment is based on 70k+ miles driving E63 bi-turbo's.

If you are running it on a track, maybe the (very expensive) OEM CF option is worth looking into?
Hi it’s not going to be on track at all only track it would go to is a vmax event maybe if I go for big power.
Sorry what is the oem cf option?

I’m at standard power for now I might go stage 2 at msl or might just go straight for tte900 package in the not so distant future. Then brembo discs look awesome did you notice a good difference between the standard disc and pads?

I wasn't to sure at first but once they bedded in they certainly stop you. I would think with better pads they would be even better:). I was meaning as mine is a standard N/A C63 you are making more power.

Don’t forget that tyres make a significant contribution to braking performance.

Ah
I wasn't to sure at first but once they bedded in they certainly stop you. I would think with better pads they would be even better:). I was meaning as mine is a standard N/A C63 you are making more power.
ahh sorry I automatically thought you had an e63 when I seen those brakes!

Don’t forget that tyres make a significant contribution to braking performance.
It’s got Pirelli p zeros on the front and Bridgestone potenzas on the back. I would of got either 4 Pirelli's or 4 continentals but just bought it and had 4 new tyres on

It’s got Pirelli p zeros on the front and Bridgestone potenzas on the back. I would of got either 4 Pirelli's or 4 continentals but just bought it and had 4 new tyres on

I should have read this thread before your TT900 thread and answered in that thread. So to avoid repeating myself, here is that post.

I have P-Zero's all round and can't wait to change them. I find the rear grip very poor,(6mm tread left) especially in the cold and damp and I only have a Stage 1 tune from MSL.
I'll be changing to Goodyear Asymmetric 5's when the Pirelli's are worn down and Camskill are the best for price currently. (under £160 per tyre)

Agree with goodyear and camskill

Hi guys,

Hope you all are well in these difficult times, this is my first post so I’ll introduce myself a bit first. I’m 32 from Newcastle I’ve got a couple of businesses doing damp proofing and kitchen/bathrooms, also am a property investor and have a portfolio in Newcastle. I was a mechanic for 10 years before moving onto property. Currently got a white 2014 S212 e63 estate, had it a few weeks (previous car history w212 e63 saloon, m3, f type v6, evo’s)

I’m looking to keep this car for a couple of years at least, my previous e63 saloon I got to stage 2 (Gad tuning) and around 700bhp but the brakes weren’t the best at all and suffered from brake fade even though the pads were in good nick and discs not bad also.

I’m thinking of getting the tte900 package by msl to take to over 900bhp but first ( I’ll talk about this on another post after) I want to get some new front discs and pads. I know the brakes obviously aren’t cheap and believe me I’m not going for the cheapest option I want the best so can you guys give me some feedback on these discs and pads or if you have any better options to go for. When I say the best brakes I want a bite from the brake pedal at high speed, I won’t be going on track but will be doing a lot of high speed runs having to brake suddenly:-

This is the cheapest option with the 2 piece brembo discs and platinum pads (I’m a bit sceptical of the pads having never heard of them but could do this option without the pads and just go for oem pad option)

View attachment 94709

The second option is genuine discs and pads from Mercedes, you guys probably know this but it’s a lot cheaper getting these on eBay than it is going into Mercedes yourselfs. I rang up for this package from merc newcastle and was going to be over £1200 just for discs! I would prefer to go with the brembo or tarox 2 piece discs though so it helps dissipate the heat more plus looks better imo

View attachment 94710

lastly here me have the tarox discs, these are specially made to order from tarox in Italy themselves. One question tho guys are the s212 e63 discs the same as w212 e63 discs as tarox weren’t sure and these are made to order? For pads with these I was thinking ebc yellow stuff pads? I used these years ago on my 600bhp evo and they were good not sure on a car about 600kg more tho.

View attachment 94711

that’s it guys any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
Brembo are certainly a reputable make , but I've always stuck with ATE , which are OEM and never had any issues on any of my cars ; I put ATE discs and pads all round both on my SL and my W140 ( which being a 2.5 tonne car needs good brakes ) and no shortage of stopping power with either . Have had many many other Mercs , including several S Classes , over the last 45+ years and always stuck with ATE , never a problem with brakes .

Do also check the flexible hoses and consider changing these , along with a full fluid change whilst doing a major brake rebuild .

Very good points regarding brake flexible hoses, best to fit high quality new hoses, and also the brake fluid, try a higher temperature fluid.

Brembo are certainly a reputable make , but I've always stuck with ATE , which are OEM and never had any issues on any of my cars ; I put ATE discs and pads all round both on my SL and my W140 ( which being a 2.5 tonne car needs good brakes ) and no shortage of stopping power with either . Have had many many other Mercs , including several S Classes , over the last 45+ years and always stuck with ATE , never a problem with brakes .

Do also check the flexible hoses and consider changing these , along with a full fluid change whilst doing a major brake rebuild .
Yeah good shout on flexy hoses think I’ll get some braided ones for good measure.

Very good points regarding brake flexible hoses, best to fit high quality new hoses, and also the brake fluid, try a higher temperature fluid.
I’m taking all the calipers off and being sent away to paint them so was going to change fluid with new high temp anyway. Think I’ll change the hoses at the same time

Reactions: 219
I’m taking all the calipers off and being sent away to paint them so was going to change fluid with new high temp anyway. Think I’ll change the hoses at the same time

I'd get them refurbed rather than just painted.
No point being nice and shiny if the seals are old and perishing. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom