Which brand of tyres to go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Goodyear comes with a good size flange on it , if you like that kind of thing.

I'd pick the Goodyears all day long from that list followed by the Michelins.

All the tyres you have listed can be found cheaper at Tyreleader.
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres-255-35-18/?m[9]=on&m[36]=on&m[4]=on&m[18]=on

1 Hankook V12 £108 79
2 Goodyear F1 Asy 3 £120 59
3 Continental SC5 £125 90
4 Michelin Pilot Sport4 £133 69

Fitting is extra. (I have a tyrefitter who fits, balances with new valve, and disposes of your old tyre for £12 50 each)

Tyre choice is such a personal thing that one brand may suit one driver and not another.

Be cautious with Tyreleader, some of their tyres are many years old. In fact I recently (a week or so ago) had a reasonable quote from them for a tyre that was manufactured in 2011.

Be cautious with Tyreleader, some of their tyres are many years old. In fact I recently (a week or so ago) had a reasonable quote from them for a tyre that was manufactured in 2011.
If it's stored in a dry warehouse, it's fine.

Doesn't matter, it's reaching it's replacement date. The compound ages irrespective of storage conditions (clearly dry cool is better than sat outside...) and most manufactures recommend replacing between 5-7yrs old...

I will probably go with blackcircles.com as they are offering a garage very near to where I live all inclusive in that price which I quoted initially. Has anyone dealt with them before?

Put some rainsports on last week for all corners. It's my third set over the years.

I don't expect many miles out of them from experience but they were a really great price.

Sadly picked up a nail yesterday on the nsr so that's costing yet again.

I live in a very Very wet South West wales and we bought 4 x Michelin cross climates last year to cope with our continuously wet roads. 1 year later 12k miles later inc a 3000 mile continental trip all is very good and tyres still have over 6.5mm left. Very happy. Paid £72 per corner

Haven't tried Goodyear tyres but am happy with Michelin.

Well I am coming away from the normal tyres we all fit,I have had Continental ,Michelin and I have a set of P zero's on at the moment the fronts have nearly had it still some tread on the rears,I have decided to go with Nexen,made in south korea the company is owned by Michelin,they have rave reviews,so at £372 fitted I will give them a go,I am no racer these days so have no need for a blood and snot set of tyres.

Just fitted F1 Asy 3s and cannot recommend them enough. Very quiet tire, fairly low resistance and no slip in the wet at least for me. Mine is 245/40/18 on a CLS320 CDI

I have tried most of of the above above plus yokohama tyres on my car. Spent lots of time researcing the best tyre for grip comfort etc. Have spent £130.00 per corner. But to be honest for the last couple of years I just get the cheapest budget tyres and IMHO there is no discernable difference.

Last edited:
Used to swear by Michelins on my last E55 although they didn't last as long as I'd have liked (although that could be the punishment they received), until I tried Goodyear F1 A2s.

Then switched all round.

From a swift glance, I don't think they make my current wheel size so I am not sure I will be able to stick with them but I am nowhere near replacing so will research when getting closer.

A slight deviation from the main thread but I found Asda Tyres pricing to be better than Black Circles and E-Tyres recently. Just avoid the Halfrauds service centres for fitting!

Used to swear by Michelins on my last E55 although they didn't last as long as I'd have liked (although that could be the punishment they received), until I tried Goodyear F1 A2s.

Then switched all round.

From a swift glance, I don't think they make my current wheel size so I am not sure I will be able to stick with them but I am nowhere near replacing so will research when getting closer.

If you have the factory optional AMG 20" wheels you can get the F1 A2s in 255/35R20 97Y and 275/35R20 102Y.

Just fitted F1 Asy 3s and cannot recommend them enough. Very quiet tire, fairly low resistance and no slip in the wet at least for me. Mine is 245/40/18 on a CLS320 CDI

Guess that's for the front of the CLS, do you have the same on the rear, with no slip in the wet from a quick start?

If you have the factory optional AMG 20" wheels you can get the F1 A2s in 255/35R20 97Y and 275/35R20 102Y.

Yes, those are the ones.

I couldn't see them on their website nor Event Tyres.

Nice one. :thumb:

Yes, those are the ones.

I couldn't see them on their website nor Event Tyres.

Nice one. :thumb:

Under £750 for a set via Asda Tyres

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom