Which brand of tyres to go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dad4geer

Car
W204 C180 AMG Sport
Following on from my other thread which most of you are already aware of where I had a small crack on my rear wheel and I mentioned that I got it checked by a MOT tester and my dealer and they both confirmed it is safe to drive on it for next few months. But, the truth is I am not mentally satisfied ever since and have been checking that particular wheel after every drive :(. I am thinking about replacing both rear wheels in next few weeks (the other being on low tread and may have only couple of thousands miles left in it so a good time to swap both).

My question to you guys is to help me decide best brand of tyres based on your own experience and which ones you would prefer and why? Car is a W204 C180. I want to have fuel efficient tyres which are good in wet conditions as well. The more I am visiting these online tyre shops the more I am getting confused. At the moment I have Hankooks on my rear axle. Sizes below:

F : 225/40ZR18 92 W XL
R: 255/35ZR18 94 Y

Prices what I found (from blackcircles.com) per tyre as below:

1) Hankook V12 Evo2 K120 £129
2) Good Year F1 Asy3 £136
3) Continental Sport Contact 5 £137
4) Michelin Pilot Sport 4 £146

Are these reasonable prices or am I looking at wrong place?

Feel free to mention your own brand and what you prefer. The above list I have come up after reading good reviews about them.

My current front tyres are of some brand called OPALS? God knows what that brand is, maybe a cheaper brand but they both were fitted new before I bought the car so will keep them for a while. I want to go for a brand at rear which I will eventually put on front later so therefore want to make a good decision now :thumb:

Feedback much appreciated :)

The Hankook's are a good tyre and if you are happy with the feel of the ones you have today then they would be a good choice.

Michelin's despite being the most expensive last well, so overall work out to be cost effective.

Thanks Stu.

I may go back to Hankook but was thinking if there are better ones out there. I have read good reviews about Good year so if anyone has tried them please share your experience.

I have been and still using Goodyear F1 Asym 2's. Similarly i have a W204 C180 too.

They are excellent in the wet. Wears very well too.

Just changed to Asym 3s on the front. Seem to be similar quality.

I'd pick the Goodyears all day long from that list followed by the Michelins.

All the tyres you have listed can be found cheaper at Tyreleader.
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres-255-35-18/?m[9]=on&m[36]=on&m[4]=on&m[18]=on

1 Hankook V12 £108 79
2 Goodyear F1 Asy 3 £120 59
3 Continental SC5 £125 90
4 Michelin Pilot Sport4 £133 69

Fitting is extra. (I have a tyrefitter who fits, balances with new valve, and disposes of your old tyre for £12 50 each)

Tyre choice is such a personal thing that one brand may suit one driver and not another.

Goodyears for me - put them on the S204 front and rear Summer 2015 and love them, very quiet but excellent grip wet and dry, seem to be wearing well.

Tried to get the F1 asymms for the 968, not available in 16's so got Goodyear Efficientgrip, again really happy with them.

Goodyears for me - put them on the S204 front and rear Summer 2015 and love them, very quiet but excellent grip wet and dry, seem to be wearing well.

Tried to get the F1 asymms for the 968, not available in 16's so got Goodyear Efficientgrip, again really happy with them.

Quite a few votes for Good Year so far :)

You will get votes for all of them as they are all a decent tyre and will do the job well.

If you have a preference for one over the other then go for that one. Don't believe any of those you identify will do you wrong.

From all that I have read the Goodyears and then the Michelins.

I liked the reviews I read about GoodYears but as always I dont normally trust online reviews hence decided to get an opinion from forum members. So far it has been a good response and last night I watched a youtube video on F1 Asy 3 by an independent leading test body TUV and that was quite impressive.

You are right to not trust many of the reviews, especially ones where some of the budgets do very well as many are "paid for" reviews.

Sounds like you have your choice in the Goodyear then :)

You are right to not trust many of the reviews, especially ones where some of the budgets do very well as many are "paid for" reviews.

Sounds like you have your choice in the Goodyear then :)

Pretty much Stuart :) Let us see what others say as I still have few weeks before I replace them.

dad4geer said:
Can someone tell me what difference would it make if I go for a 245 rather than a 255?

Dont do it. Less rim protection and less grip.

Thanks Sirius, yes it was just a thought. I will stick with 255s :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom