Which C Class?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Igurisu

Car
911 Turbo
HI all, just introduced myself in the new members thread, I'm planning to buy a C Class and still trying to get my head around the different variants.

Originally I was hoping to shoot for a W124 coupe but SWMBO is terrified of the size of the car :wallbash:

So now I'm thinking C Class (W203) 2005/6 Coupe, but not sure which to go for. My gut feeling is the C180 or C220, but I'm still trying to understand the engine range and badge designation. So far I think I have this,

C180 = 1.8 4 pot 129 PS
C180K = 1.8 4 pot 143PS supercharged
C200 = me :confused:, is this a 1.8 or 2.0?
C220 CDI = 2.1 4 pot diesel

Any help on the C200 (petrol) would be appreciated. I'm also wondering about the bigger engined models for a bit more fun, in particular the C230 2.5 V6.

Any general recomendations either for or against would be appreciated. Weekly use will be a 15 mile round trip to work plus weekend jaunts but we also tend to go to France/Spain/Germany for holidays in the car. I'm thinking the diesel may not be the best option for my commute to work of 7.5 miles as it won't warm up properly.

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers :)

Try to get her to try a 124. Whilst longer than a 203 they are not as wide - or so it appears to me. Also turning circle is very good so very easy to manipulate if space is limited. They are superb long distance cruisers for continental motorways.
The early C180s were a 2 litre 4 cylinder and a bit rough. The later C180k or 200k - both 1.8 4 cylinders are much better. Unless you do a lot of miles diesel does not make sense.
If you can go for a post facelift model - mid 2004 onwards. The electrics and rust prevention were rubbish on the early ones.
Just my thoughts

Get a C220CDI 203 from 2004 onwards. Vey reliable car. 124's are getting on a bit and unless they have been maintained very well they can cost quite a bit to rectify. There are plenty of brilliant 124's out there but just be aware there are many many sheds.

My wife was scared of the w124 estate's size before she started using it. It did aquire some scrapes, but she is used to it now. And I feel easier knowing that the w124 is well built and if, god forbid, anything gets in her way, it will have to cope with a 3 litre OM606 before it gets anywhere near her.

Thanks for the replies :)

I haven't given up on the 124 yet, I'll take her to look at a couple, maybe that will help. If I go for C Class then I was planning to go for a facelift W203. So reading the reply from GP801 the engine variants are early and later models, thanks for that.

My wife was scared of the w124 estate's size before she started using it. It did aquire some scrapes, but she is used to it now. And I feel easier knowing that the w124 is well built and if, god forbid, anything gets in her way, it will have to cope with a 3 litre OM606 before it gets anywhere near her.

Have the same problem here and I really wanted her to drive an old merc but without any luck

Thanks for the replies :)

I haven't given up on the 124 yet, I'll take her to look at a couple, maybe that will help.

If you're after a nice C124,give us a shout

We have a 2001 W203 estate in C270Cdi form - a lot of our mileage is 4-7 miles each way to the shops a couple of times a week, occasional longer runs - and the trip computer invariably shows 45mpg or better. Engine is lovely and smooth, with enough grint when required - surprises quite a few at the traffic lights grand prix! 5 speed auto/tip box, really comfortable cruises, wife loves the car.

OK, being an early one (elegance trim, not too many electrical toys!) we have a bit of rust at the rear wheel arches and a small amount of paint bubbling along the bottom of the offside doors - but on the plus side the Assyst system for when she needs service is 2 years/15k miles rather than the 1 year/15k miles of younger models (not sure when MB changed it) so in almost 3 years ownership she's only needed 1 x A service so far. From choice I had the ATF and filter changed (made a slight but noticable difference to the smoothness of the gearbox), also needed new front discs/pads plus thermostat and MAF. Cheap motoring in great comfort!

I'd be a bit concerned about the C220 being a bit short of grunt (this was the opinion of road testers when the model first came out, they said the 270 was the engine to have so I did!). I haven't driven a 220 so can't comment from personal experience.

Thanks for the heads up Chris, will add the C270 to the list of possibles. I've spent most my life driving sensible cars (except my off roading years with Landrover), through nessecity, cost when younger and restricted choice of company cars later. So now the kids don't travel with us and I can afford a decent car and insurance I want to combine a little fun with my motoring.

Have you considered a 2004 + C230K?

1.8 Supercharged petrol with 190ps, very good IMO for decent MPG with a little bit of umph.

C200 not bad either, 1.8 supercharged petrol 163bhp.

Avoid the C200 CDI... underpowered :(

Have the same problem here and I really wanted her to drive an old merc but without any luck

Shame!
My experience tells me that ladies do not always specify the precise reason as to why they are against a particular course of action. I will get shot for saying this but **they** do rate colour higher up the list of important things than blokes and judge colour not on resale values or popularity but on whether or not it "goes" with all the other stuff they own. This happens alot with clothes too including those I am "asked" to wear by my wife. Wardrobe control syndrome. There I feel better already.

As said above...

180K - 1.8L 4-cyl Supercharged 143bhp (petrol)

200K - 1.8L 4-cyl Supercharged 163bhp (petrol)

230K - 1.8L 4-cyl Supercharged 190bhp (petrol)

All are same M271 engine, different states of tune, and obviously less MPG with the higher-output engines.

The theory is that higher-output engines are more stressed, so the low-powered ones will last longer, but in reality I doubt there is any noticeable difference in long-term reliability.

Incidentally, I never actually saw a 4-door 230K on the road - must be very very rare..

My 180K 2006 is very good and extremely reliable, at 37k miles.

Not an expert on Diesels, but do keep in mind that they will be more expensive to buy due to higher desirability in the second-hand market.

So you want some fun?? Only one way to go as far as i am concerned(wont be anyones else) after thr TG prog the other week I bought a pristine showroom condition CL600 V12 with full AMG kit. Awesome!!! Yeah I know its gonna cost some dosh at some point but I am trusting in 102 pages of history and reciepts plus full service stuff. Crap fuel consumption but just awesome fun and power with as many electric toys as you could ever hope to use. Understated styel and sheer whoosh !! And all for the price of a cheap ford £7k Nothing else to say lol

I, too, have a C124 for sale if you're still interested.

Friend of mine has a 230k 4 door. He thinks its great. There are not many about. He bought his new because it was a stock car the dealer could not shift. Got a hefty discount.

Thanks for the info guys and gals, keep it coming please :) I'm soaking up lots from the forums and understanding much more about the stuff to look out for.

However, a little knowledge as they say, also including CLK's now in the potential list. The missus likes the look of these so no problem in that area.

The replies are much appreciated, really helping me to get to grips with the model range and platforms they are based on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom