Which Car to buy? E250/c250

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hmltnangel

Car
E250
Hi folks,

Just new so be gentle.

I've sold my old car, it's being picked up in a week or too once the new owner comes back from his holiday.

I've concluded bang for buck that either a c250 or an e250 will be my preferred option for a new car.

So where am I.

I've looked at both, I like both. But from you guys, are there pros and cons to either of them?

I'll admit I'm tempted with a nice 2010/1 black E250 wagon with around 70k on it. Or a C250 saloon much that same price etc.

What's the difference on real world economy with both?

Key points for me
Economy - needs to be around 40 minimum combined
Power - moving from a 450bhp Rx means I want something which will actually move, but I don't expect it to set the tires alight.
Styling - I like both saloon and wagons for both, but not keen on the coupes. Ideally the AMG style pack should be in it as it makes all versions look 10 times nicer in my eyes.
Price - max 10k
Reliability - I want it to be decent, although comfortable working on most things myself.
Option packs - no idea what the options are on these cars so guidance for what I should look for would be helpful

It'd be interesting to get some views from the owners and make an informed decision.

Cheers

Just buy the first one you see with good service history and condition.

So, what, there's nothing to choose between them?

Is there any big difference between the economy in a wagon Vs saloon?

The C and E are very different cars - how much space and payload do you need for luggage and passengers?

What equipment do you need v what equipment would you like?
Leather, heated seats, sunroof, comand sat nav?

Look at these to see the different specs and trim levels

Classifieds - Traders Cars

That's just it I think. If I had specifics of what I need/want then this question wouldn't be there.

Economy is important, I need it to be decent in real life.

Are there any typical mechanical issues I should be checking?

Other than that I'm open to listening to everyone's views.

You will easily achieve the economy you are looking for, if you try too hard (like I did the other day) then 65mpg is achievable.

Realistically I get around 45mpg mixed.

I don’t find the c250 lacking in power, it’s not a brute but does the job it needs to do. If you do feel the need for more power then a remap will give it more than the 350.

One of key factors in a cars ride quality is its wheel-base= the distance between front and rear axle lines. The E will always beat the C in that respect no matter what fancy suspension components are fitted. The E class is more likely to have such things as self leveling rear suspension [ in the estate version] which helps ride quality also. The down side of any sophisticated adjustable suspension in an older car of course is that they tend to be more expensive to repair when things go wrong--- swings and roundabouts. The other thing to consider is sheer physical size of course which may or not be an issue when you consider where the car is going to be parked /garaged.

Old Tech Industry Man say "Describe requirement before attempting to describe the solution."

How many people are you driving around, over what kind of roads, what length of journeys, with what kind of priorities ?

Both are fabulous, reliable, leaders in their respective sectors, but they do different things.

As you're coming from an RX7, the easy guess is that a C Class is the obvious next step, but that could be a false guess depending on the way your describe your requirement.

Under all circumstances an Estate will be a couple of grand more more than its saloon equivalent, like for like. (And a lot rarer and difficult to source)

The good news: you'll get far better engine reliability and fuel consumption than you've seen on the marvellous RX7, the bad news: it'll cost a lot more money.

Last edited:
Well I have just bought a c250 palladium silver amg sport, and I must say it is a fast car! With all the torque you will need! is not an amg but fast enough! Couple with 50+ mpg , cheap tax,insurance,sporty looks, and very reliable,what more do you want,I had the same choise 3 months ago,E too big and boxey for me!!! Just my opinion

Thanks folks
To be honest, it's me on my own atm, dependant on how things work out with the missus. So there's a possibility I may be transporting me her and the dog about.

That's all.

From my perspective, I want a car I will enjoy, that's practical, economical, reliable and powerful enough to have fun with from time to time. Whichever, will get a remap and subtle mods to up the power/economy. I'm not going down the Rx route here.

From a style perspective, they all look good. The e, is boxy but I kinda like it. Plus the interior is a huge improvement on the c. The ride is massively better too based on the cars I've driven. Do you lose any 'performance' due to the bulk? And is the economy massively different? That's the things that would push me back to a c regardless of the things I like about it.

It's hard as they all seem to tick the boxes I need. It might just come down to how they feelto drive.

Top speed around the same, c250 slightly better 0-62! Mpg way better on the C, the E is bigger a weighs more, would not say the interior is MASSIVELY better! But as you say both are nice cars,I am biased as had the same choise to make and went for the C with no regrets( so far)

The W204 pre-facelift interior is pretty grim compared to the 2011+ facelift which feels far more modern.

Same thoughts really with the W212 but maybe not such a big jump, it’s more the exterior of the facelift that is much better from an aesthetic point of view.

What’s your maximum budget?

See this is the oddity.

W212 pre facelift....I really like. Even the interior is acceptable. I don't like as much the post facelift versions.

W204 pre facelift I hate the interior and the exterior. However the post facelift is spot on.

So far I've tried to drive
C250 coupe. Really nice and smooth to drive. Post facelift and the car was very very nice all round. Few stone chips but nothing to be concerned about.

E250 saloon. Base model I think and I felt it pretty grim aside from the external aesthetics.

I will be going to see a post facelift c250 saloon next weekend. Also the one that's almost winning I think, an e250 wagon. The wagon is immaculate. Not even a stone chip.

So i think I have it narrowed down to

E250 wagon
C250 saloon
C250 coupe

In the real world, what do people get economy wise from these 3?

Also, what's an 'average' price and power expectation from a remap.

£10k is the budget

OK, I think I have narrowed it down.

My preference seems to be the E250 Coupe. seen a few that fit the budget and have decent mileage on them. I think I will start hunting down one now. Seems the best compromise between the RX7 and practicality/economy but still have the coupe looks. Besides, the 2012 model, I really like the look of.

Own both.

Rack up 25-30K/annum mostly motorway and some A roads. Without a doubt the E Class is the better of the two for me.

When at home and need to go into the city/town then the C Class is easier to navigate. It is pretty quick when needed and more than adequate for most needs.

Both are reliable and no real foibles. Both are diesels. Both are good cars. only significant irksome issues - replaced water pump on E Class and had an ESL repair on the C Class, other than this usual servicing consumables.

As for MPG - just know that the E class is generally around the 50s and C around 40s. Latter does 3,500 of city driving and former 25,000+ on motorways.

One of key factors in a cars ride quality is its wheel-base= the distance between front and rear axle lines. The E will always beat the C in that respect no matter what fancy suspension components are fitted. The E class is more likely to have such things as self leveling rear suspension [ in the estate version] which helps ride quality also. The down side of any sophisticated adjustable suspension in an older car of course is that they tend to be more expensive to repair when things go wrong--- swings and roundabouts. The other thing to consider is sheer physical size of course which may or not be an issue when you consider where the car is going to be parked /garaged.

BTW, the C250 Saloon, C250 Coupe, and E250 Coupe are all built on the same W204 floor pan (the E-Class Coupe replaced the CLK).

The E250 Wagon (and the Saloon) is based on the W212 floor pan which is bigger and offers better ride.

The problem is markjay, I have no requirements specifically. As long as it's reasonably economical and I like it to look at then it's ok. The e250 wagon, is superb to look at, it's just unnecessarily massive, which I have no need for. The c250 saloon and coupes seem to be everywhere I look on the road just now. The e250 coupe, just seems like a nice fit. Big, but not huge, economical plus I love the looks. If it's the same floorpan as the c250 coupe then I've driven a few now of those and all seemed to have a nice ride.

Feels.like forever, but the chances are I'll be getting a 14 /15 plate e250d coupe this weekend. (Yes I'm splashing out a wee bit more) Got three I like all close to each other and exactly what I want.

Hopefully my next post will be to show off my new wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom