Which CLK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peter kent

Car
Audi A4
Hi

Wonder if anyone can give me some advice please

Im new to wanting to own a Mercedes after being a 5series BMW owner for nearly 20yrs

Looking to buy a CLK model year from 2002 (models with the linked lights)

I have a very small budget 5/6K which I know is not a lot and will only buy me the oldest models.

I just like the shape so engine size not an issue. I dont mind a diesel all be it some models are more noisy than others?

High mileage is ok as I dont do too many, I do maybe 4,000 miles a year

Hope some of you can give a little help

Many thanks

Hi Peter and welcome :)

If you're only doing 4000 miles PA, I'd go for one of the petrol engined models - should be cheaper to buy, smoother and quieter and probably cheaper to maintain. Personally, I'd be tempted to look at some of the CLK500 or 320 models, as they tend to come with better spec and for the mileage you'll be doing any difference in mpg will not really matter.

A higher mileage car that has been well maintained should be okay. IMHO most of the issues that people experience with these cars aren't specfically linked to mileage, so you could get a good car within that budget.

Look out for any body rust as the early cars won't be galvanised - wheel arches and around the boot mainly.

Post up any of the cars that you're interested in and we can perhaps advise on them :thumb:

Just a quick eBay search shows cars such as this CLK500 for just over £6k, larger engined petrol cars are really good value at the moment.

2002/02 Mercedes-Benz CLK 500 ELEGANCE 2DR TIP AUTO 66. | eBay UK

Good luck with the search,

Will

Petrol engines are fine. Very smooth and refined. Ours is a 200k and this is perfectly adequate unless you like to drive very quickly. Personally I would avoid the 240 6 cylinder as costs much the same to run as the far superior 320. Go for the auto box every time. If you can stretch to the latter part of 2003 these were galvanised and resist corrosion much better. Need to check the build date as some may have been sitting around before being registered. Most come with leather and a few toys - even on the 200k. I favour avantgarde spec as to me it looks much better.
If serviced/looked after correctly very little goes wrong. Ours is now coming up for 8 yrs old and apart from a faulty airbag module its needed nothing other than routine maintenance and wear/tear items.
They are great cruisers but not really very sporty. There is a sports suspension option which improves the handling but the ride suffers especially with the bigger alloys that some come with.

Diesel

If I did go for a diesel which would be the best in terms of quietness and mpg do you think?

Im likely to keep whatever I buy for 4/5yrs so might prefer a diesel if my work changes and drive more. All be it I would be only doing short distances or 20miles at a time

Im over 45 with lots of no claims so insurance is not a big issue all be it would rather buy something where tyres are not going to mean I cant eat for a month lol Im just assuming the wheels on a 500 would be higher spec than the 320? Also 500 more juicy? As I dont drive too much at the moment Id rather buy something if I can get late at very least mid to late 30mpg

So far the 320 seems to be the winner and one from 04 onward if I can? Do these come in diesel and petrol? what about the 240? is that any good?

Sorry for all the questions

Last edited:
The earlier diesels are all the 270cdi. More recent ones were 220 cdi and I think 320cdi. The earlier ones are a bit rough by comparison. If you are stretching to 04 models then go for the post facelift models. The audio/sat nav is much more modern. Even the small engines can come with big wheels. If you stick to 17inch then around £110 on the front, £130 rear for premium brands. A 500 will not give you the mpg you desire. Our 200k does 33-34 in general use, 39-41 on a long motorway run according to the onboard computer.
I think your best bet is a 320cdi hopefully with lots of options. Not sure you will find one at your original budget though.

If i remember correctly the 220 and 320 diesels were 2005 onwards

By the sounds of it, the CLK 270 CDi should suit your need.

Bullet proof engine, good mpg and a decent turn of pace if needed.

I love the look of the 209 CLK, both inside and out, it's a shame you couldn't stretch to the 'newer' 320 V6 CDi...

For your money i dont think you will get a good diesel. The larger the diesel engine the quieter it is.

The 270 is the best of the earlier diesel engines. Well balanced and great economy.
The 220 is a little underpowered prior to 2004/05 and a lot noisier, especially when cold.

For your requirements id say find a perfect 320 petrol - super smooth and very little to go wrong.

208's look much nicer, especially the CLK 430 Convertible. Did I mention I'm selling one of those? ;) :D

Economy

Summing up, it seems if I buy older than '04 its the CLK 270cdi and if I can afford and find one '04 or newer go for the 320 Petrol or diesel?

Is there a big difference in the 320 Petrol v Diesel mpg/economy?

I saw the thread about the 208 (still getting used to the Mercs numbers lol) But really I only like the models with the double lights that are linked which I think is from 2002 onwards

PS I have no idea why I fancy a diesel as I have never owned one as all my 5series BMW's were petrol lol

There is a reasonable difference in mpg. If you do a low mileage then go for the petrol. You will get a lot more car for your money

In a way Id rather pay a little more for the car now if I have to and get better mpg with a diesel as I will keep the car for a good many years

Im still thinking the 320cdi is best though. The advice from you all has been great!

Is there a place I can see all the models and engine sizes etc? There seems to be so many! I spotted a 220 as well? Im very new to Mercedes so still a little lost to the range for the model I like

209 CLK diesels are; 2.7 (CLK270) 5cyl until 2005ish then 2.2 (CLK220) 4cyl and 3.0 V6 (CLK320)

If you could stretch to the 3.0V6 CDI, you wouldn't regret it and there isn't that much MPG difference between the 3 diesels.

I have the V6 CDi in my E-Class and it is very smooth and refined.

In a way Id rather pay a little more for the car now if I have to and get better mpg with a diesel as I will keep the car for a good many years

Im still thinking the 320cdi is best though. The advice from you all has been great!

Is there a place I can see all the models and engine sizes etc? There seems to be so many! I spotted a 220 as well? Im very new to Mercedes so still a little lost to the range for the model I like

A full list of the CLK models are listed here. Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Should make you even more confused:D

I'm new to the forum and mercs like you. I liked the shape, like you. I don't do many miles, like you. My car is doing 21mpg and 26 on motorways, so the 320 should be better. Who cares about petrol when you don't do many miles. I'm loving mine!

21-26 mpg lol wow i hope the 320 will do better than that but i know i will have to up my top budget of 6k for a diesel version :-( my only other option I guess is the 270cdi. is there a big difference between both diesels or is that a silly question. Also i cant seem to find when the 320 diesel first came out. Seems 2005/6?

Last edited:
The 270 will do around 35mpg round town whereas the 320 cdi is nearer 30mpg.

If you are used to a petrol, the V6 is the one for you if you can stretch to it...

I've had both engines in the E class and while the 270 is more than useful, the 320 makes the 270 feel agricultural.

Best thing to do is to test drive both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom