Which Comand unit is this please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W4SIM

Banned
Car
S55 AMG Kompressor
This is in a 2004 W220 S-class.

Im kinda new to all the electrics of Mercedes and i know there are several variants of the Comand unit. Can anyone please confirm which one this is?

The CD slot above the screen houses the Sat Nav disc. I dont know wether thats a normal CD or a DVD.

Thanks.

ComandUnit.jpg

It takes a CD version of the maps. The DVD won't work.

Same unit I have.

Do you have a DVD navigation drive in the boot?

So its a version of the CD based command 2.0 like I have in the CLK but styled more like the early DVD based system in our SLK. Confusing but clearer now.

So if i was to take the Sat Nav CD out of there and put in a normal music CD it should just play from there right? Or will that only happen through the multi-changer in the boot?

And this is the Comand unit im trying to get to play MP3's and DVD's through. Getting very confused about it now.

Your head unit will play CDs.

It will not play MP3 CDs as it has no inbuilt decoder.

It will not read DVDs at all.

Its called Comand 2.0 MOPF.

It is a widescreen COMAND 2.0 only fitted to S and CL class vehicles for Model Year 2003. In Model Year 2004 S/CL switched to NTG1 (completely different technology). Model year 2002 and before had Comand 2.5 the original COMAND system with a small display.

It takes DX disks such as Comand Online Ltd :: Mercedes SatNav/COMAND :: Mercedes Navigation Disks :: United Kingdom :: Teleatlas DX UK & Ireland 2011-2012 with Major Roads of Western Europe

There are 2 identical looking variants. One with Navigation and one without. In fact they are the same physically (internally) but one has different software in it. In UK all S/CL always had the navigation version, but in Europe this is not necessarily true, so be careful to get the correct part number if replacing.

The TV button only works if you have the TV tuner option. Phone buttons only useful if you have the Phone system. Both can be retrofitted as they are external boxes that connect via the fibre-optic network. However the only TV tuner is analogue so not going to be useful for long apart from having 2 AV inputs on it.

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
Had this unit on my 2003 CL55AMG. It's a D2B fibre optic system fitted to some S and CL's for a short period:

- No DVD player
- Sat Nav works from CDX discs so cannot hold full maps of say europe.
- Navigation only works from 5 digits of post code so quite useless these days really.
- No CD information text display on the screen (if that sort of thing bothers you)
- I found to me disappointment that the D2B systems are not forward compatible, so they cannot be upgraded to any of the features of the later NTG systems.
All in all not a very good unit compared to the NTG system that came out a year later.

I'm a little surprised that an '04 reg S-Class has this model fitted? Should it not have come with the NTG1 system? I know on CL's the comand was upgraded to NTG1 from Sept '03.

Mel.

However the only TV tuner is analogue so not going to be useful for long apart from having 2 AV inputs on it.

Cheers

Richard

This car does have both a phone in the armrest (Nokia) and a TV front and rear, which did work before the signal changed to Digital.

But where is the TV Tuner located in the car so i can have a look and see f it has the AV inputs?

Something good might just come out of this afterall. :(

tv tuner

Hi, just read this thread did you find the location of tv tuner and is it poss to get it working again as i have the same set up, so confusing and my car is 02 year, sat nav disc at the top of screen and cd unit in boot

Hi

Yeah i eventually found the TV tuner, by accident as it happens, it was located just under the CD changer in the boot. Depending on wether yours has the dynamic seats or not it will either be located just under the CD changer or just above and slightly forward of it.

Either way, the side trim panel will have to come off. Two T20 bolts hold it in place.

These are my other threads, with pictures that will help you. If you find you have the AV ports then your laughing.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/119044-location-tv-tuner-w220-s55.html

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/electronics/118220-anything-make-tv-work-again-w220-s-class-2.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom