Which Compression Tester Kit for OM617?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isobars

Car
300SD'79, E300TD '95, 300TDT '82, 280CE '84, 250L '84, 300SEL LPG '91, 300D '80, 300CE '91, 300E '89
Hi All,

I've never undertaken this job and would like any advice on which kit to buy - and any tips on using it if possible!

I have a couple of Petrol engines as well, so it'd be handy if they were dual purpose - or are they all if they work for diesel?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Paul

The pro ones are a lot more money, I always say if you use a tool every day, or your livelyhood depends on it, then spend as much as you can afford (even a little more) but if you only need it for a specific job, or to use maybe a couple of times, then cheaper is best.

Lets face it, how many times would you need to compression test your own car?

It's cheaper to take it to an Indie.

Thanks again.

I've a few cars I'm curious about so I'll try and get a quality piece. It'll always have a resale value.

Is it just a question of whipping out an injector, preventing the fuel from getting to the rest and cranking?

Will some of them work for petrol as well?

Cheers,

Paul

I think that you would take them all out, take the electrics off of the top of the injectors and reconnect to stop the diesel leaks. Then test each one in-turn 'dry' noting the values, on a petrol you would do the test again 'wet' by adding a small amount of oil to the cylinder before the test, if the result significantly raises the reading then the rings are gone if not and they are low then its the valves. Never done a diesel so do not know if the higher compression would ignite the oil on the wet test ......... guess you will have to find out before you try it!

You won't be able to use the tester for both petrol and diesel as the petrol only has 1/3rd the pressure of a diesel.

Rather than remove an injector, it's normally easier to unscrew a glowplug.

Would anyone have any idea of where I could find out the sizes if the glow-plug and injector holes on an om617 and 603 and 606 - or are they fairly standard?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom