Which cutting compound?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cws196

Car
S205 C250d AMG Premium+
First off excuse me if I have my 'terms' wrong! What I am looking for is an alternative to t-cut, of which I'm not a fan.

I have a Polar White S204 and there is some slight grime build up below the side window chrome strips which polishing and then Meguiars Scratch X has failed to remove, so looking for something akin to t-cut (I think).

I'd be trying a clay bar first. It should get rid of most of the contaminants, whereas a polish would just seal them in...

I did initially try a clay bar but it didn't have any effect.

The 2 high end body shops I've visited with Porsche Club use either Farecla or 3M products, they use rotary polishers but I use 3M Perfect-it with a Kestrel DAS6 dual action polisher, works well and is less "accident prone" than a big rotary polisher.

Farecla G3 polishing compound.... a buffer will make this a better job but you must be careful that you dont burn out the paint.

G10 is a finer grade for a higher polish with less cut prob find g3 is satisfying enough.

I do this professionally with a rotary polisher and use 3M Fast Cut Plus, which in my opinion is the best cutting compound out there.

As has already been recommended, use a clay bar first.

Just to add, I'll be hand polishing and not using a machine.

Well thats the product to look for Turtle Wax You put it on with a duster. The paint on cars to day is wery thin .And without a micron check to see just how thick it is dont use a buffer ,just leave well alone .

Well thats the product to look for Turtle Wax You put it on with a duster. The paint on cars to day is wery thin .And without a micron check to see just how thick it is dont use a buffer ,just leave well alone .

Just to clarify, the paint is underneath the lacquer. It's the lacquer that you will be polishing, not the paint. Modern ultra high solid lacquers are actually thicker than the medium solid lacquers of several years ago.

When using a polisher its technique which is important, not allowing friction and heat to build up, which is what causes the problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom