Which Dashcam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yus

Car
E200D
Taking delivery of my first MB on Monday (E200d) - its brand new and wanted to install some Dash Cams

Any come recommended? Something easy to install and not an eye sore :)

Thanks

Ordered today garycat, looks a good deal.

For the local mileage I do probably not worth it but I intend drivimy dawn souf next week so it is good insurance for the scallywags out there

Couple of questions if I may?

Where was it connected to for the power supply?

Do Nextbase provide a Cigarette Socket lead only or one that may be connected directly to a fuse position?
The camera comes with a 12v plug, the hardwire kit is extra. I did wire it to my previous car but haven’t yet done so in the Merc!

My Nextbase 312 proved itself when my XF was written off last year as the other driver was charged at the scene after the Police viewed the contents.
I decided to upgrade to the 512 and have fitted the 312 into my Rover 75
Both cars have them hard wired as I don’t like cables showing.

Edit. I connected my power supply onto the auxiliary supply plug on the centre console.
This powers up the camera with the ignition on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yus
OP what's your budget and preference (screen or no screen)

The Next Base ones are okay (pricey, but okay)
www.dashcamtalk.com is the site I used to pick out the BlueSky one I have two off.

Taking delivery of my first MB on Monday (E200d) - its brand new and wanted to install some Dash Cams

Any come recommended? Something easy to install and not an eye sore

Thanks

Try a deaths on this Forum for " Dash Cam" plenty of information will be provided!

OP what's your budget and preference (screen or no screen)

The Next Base ones are okay (pricey, but okay)
www.dashcamtalk.com is the site I used to pick out the BlueSky one I have two off.

Under £150 i would say. Ideally without any screen (so small & discreet), but the Nextbases do look good.

And i would want it wired. Cant be doing with the 12V cigarette charger

I have an aukey dr 01, which is about 40£ on amazon, and it's one of the best under 150£. Pretty much all dashcams are recording very good during daylight, but the situation changes during night. With this one, the image is clear, you can easily see the number in front of you, even if it reflects because of the headlights (not easy to be achieved by other dashcams), hence the reason for which I bought it. Highly recommended!

I have an aukey dr 01, which is about 40£ on amazon, and it's one of the best under 150£. Pretty much all dashcams are recording very good during daylight, but the situation changes during night. With this one, the image is clear, you can easily see the number in front of you, even if it reflects because of the headlights (not easy to be achieved by other dashcams), hence the reason for which I bought it. Highly recommended!

Thanks for this. Reviews look great.

Did you hard wire it? Does it Parking mode by any chance?

Both cars have them hard wired as I don’t like cables showing.

Edit. I connected my power supply onto the auxiliary supply plug on the centre console.
This powers up the camera with the ignition on.

Thats great. Is the cabling visible? And does your center console close or does it have to remain open? Due to the cable?

If poss, i would love to see some pics of the cabling. Many thanks

Cabling is relatively easy to route down to the centre console. Remove the sun visor and left hand pillar trim. On my CLS I also unclipped the panel on left of dash, visible when door is open then drop down the panel above passengers feet. On the console itself remove the cup holder clip then remove the cup holder cubby box. This then allows you to get access to the front cubby box which houses the auxiliary plug.
Dash Cam cable is then routed down taking care to ensure it does not foul the curtain air bag going up the pillar.
I tied my cable using small tie wraps approx every 8 inches. There is just enough room to Locate the small transformer in the centre console area and to splice into supply and earth
At the camera end of the cable I cut a small groove in the mirror casing to allow it to pass through to the camera position.

Hope this is of some help.

Reactions: Yus
Ddpai arrived today, well pleased with it, small and unobtrusive, maybe too small the scallywags might not spot it as I think these are a deterrent if spotted. Very professional packaging, got an email from amazon supplier day before delivery with operating instructions. Even includes a twin usb socket for cigar lighter so I can still plug in my nav device as I do not use in car nav, it is too old although I like the soothing female voice instructions.

Well pleased Gary thanks.

Thanks for this. Reviews look great.

Did you hard wire it? Does it Parking mode by any chance?
Yes, it's hard wire without visibility (it depends on each car). I don't know to have the parking mode function available to be honest.

I have a E200d (W213). Went to Halford today to inquire. Was told they do a fair bit of E classes and that the fuse box is at the back, so the cable has to run to the boot.

Is this true? Where abouts is the fuse box?

Will also drop an email to Halfords to make sure they guarantee their work

I had a nextbase 212 until it died but it was far from unobtrusive, I've now moved to a Blackvue DR590W which cannot be seen under my rear view mirror. It has built in wifi for viewing the footage directly on a smartphone. On sale at halfords for £150. It really is a quality piece of kit
BlackVue DR590W-1CH 16GB

I fitted mine myself using the front 12v socket, as you're local i don't mind helping if you get one, i'd never let halfords dismantle my car

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom