Which Diagnostic Software and Lead for C180 2002?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flooky

Car
C180 Kompressor
I use VagCom for my VW which is a simple OBD lead plugged into my laptop and tbh is awesome..

Is there anything like it for Mercedes? I don't want to be buying a diagnostic
tool and any software I could download for free or a purchase would be ideal.

The lead I use for VagCom is a 9 pin, Would my C180 2002 have the same connector and would this lead work with the correct software?

Thanks...

Your MB has a 16 in connector.Most diag equipment is pretty crap compared to the MB specific "Star" system.

I can get you a Star if you want one.

As Black55 said.

I found that you can get many very cheap devices under £50 that will read ODBII codes, but then they do not do any of the MB-specific controllers e.g. ABS/ESP, Airbags, etc.

If you go for professional diagnostics equipment you will pay 2k to 4k, plus hefty annual subscriptions, and it will still not be nearly as comprehensive as STAR.

I have the Autel MaxiDiag EU702, see Autel .

It costs around £150. It can do all ODBII codes and some live data, and it can also read and reset some of the MB-specific controllers. In my view, this is the best you can get for this kind of money. It works reasonably well for what it is and what it costs, but it is obviously no STAR. I found it very useful when I needed to read and reset the SRS warning light that came on - SRS is MB specific and not covered by standard ODBII code readers..

One point regarding the Autel EU702 - it usually gets good reviews in magazines, in part due the Autel's policy of free software updates (some manufacturers charge for updates which include details of newer vehicles) . This sounds good, but if you check Autel's website you will fins that there have been no updates availble since the launch in 2006, so effectively post 2006 vehicles are not covered.... cheeky, that.

Last edited:
It's interesting why some ODB readers are more expensive than others. I know that Autel sell one compatible for VAG cars for £50, but the MB equivalent is £150.

One for the OFT maybe?

It's interesting why some ODB readers are more expensive than others. I know that Autel sell one compatible for VAG cars for £50, but the MB equivalent is £150.

One for the OFT maybe?

No quite.... the Autel MaxiDiag EU702 actually covers several European cars MB is only one of the makes covered. The manufacturers covers are VAG, Audi, BMW, Mini, Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, and Opel/Vauxhall.

I suspect that this is why the VAG-only model is cheaper - the EU702 is probably aimed at (very) small garages and mobile mechanics rather then to individual owners.

Star

Your MB has a 16 in connector.Most diag equipment is pretty crap compared to the MB specific "Star" system.

I can get you a Star if you want one.

Hello BlackC55. I have a CLK 350 2006. What OBD hardware do I need to not only read but also program? Do you know? I'm looking for some OBD hardware I can connect to my laptop and then run STAR.

[email protected]

Many thanks,
Stefan

You need a complete system. Not just the hardware.

I can get you one if you wish.

Hello BlackC55. I have a CLK 350 2006. What OBD hardware do I need to not only read but also program? Do you know? I'm looking for some OBD hardware I can connect to my laptop and then run STAR.

Many thanks,
Stefan

What is your budget? If you really want to run Star diagnosis SW, I don't think there is any other option than using it with a dedicated multiplexer (genuine or clone).

Hi van you tell me where to locate the bdo connector on my 04 c180 komp. And what type of pin is req. Ta

Hi van you tell me where to locate the bdo connector on my 04 c180 komp. And what type of pin is req. Ta

It's behind a small cover just above the driver's right shin, next to the bonnet release handle.

It should be the newer 'standardised' type of connector.

What money will cost MB Star to use like vagcom style if possible atall?

What money will cost MB Star to use like vagcom style if possible atall?

I bought a Chinese clone version of Star C3 just before Christmas which cost a little over £200 delivered to the UK.

On top of that you need to add the cost of a suitable old LapTop which is capable of running XP - they're on EBay for less than £50.

I bought a Chinese clone version of Star C3 just before Christmas which cost a little over £200 delivered to the UK.

On top of that you need to add the cost of a suitable old LapTop which is capable of running XP - they're on EBay for less than £50.

It won't run on win7?

It won't run on win7?
The version that I bought came complete with a hard disk drive containing all the M-B software, so I simply swapped drive out for new drive in. The benefit being that the old machine has an RS-232 interface ready to go, which is what Star uses.

The alternative is to buy a version of the Star clone which comes with a separate hard disk containing an XP operating system which you run in a VM off the primary machine (which could be Win 7).

That combination seems to be the subject of much discussion across the internet with many people struggling to get VMs to work with RS-232 to USB adapters.

Also, personally I wouldn't want any software sourced from China to be connected to my primary Laptop, VM or not, hence I used an old machine.

Last edited:
Cheers for that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom