Which Diesel Estate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

georgec180

Car
S210 E320CDI
Hi, I'm currently driving a W202 C180 and am looking for a diesel due to the miles I am currently doing (About 20,000 per year) and that I'm only getting around 31mpg out of the C180.
I would also prefer an estate over the saloon.
I've looked at the C250TD, C220CDI and E300TD, E320CDI, however. although the CDI engines will do more MPG im cautious of the leaking injectors or 'Black Death' as its known. Also from what i've read on here the E300TD isnt particularly economical only achieving around 35MPG, in which case I'd be best sticking to the petrol C180. What do people think of the C250TD? I've seen a couple with manual boxes on eBay, but as the C180 is my first MB, I have never drive a MB manual or 5 speed auto. Is the auto the better option?

My first MB is a 2001 c270 Cdi W203 estate - and we love it. 45+ mpg in general use. But - watch for rust and Valeo radiator issues.

If its economy your after it has to be what Chrishazie says. The C270 - try one and see.

Yup, 270 all the way!

106,000 miles and just a split intercooler pipe and dead battery above the required services (couple of glow plugs and diff seals changed but not essential).

As Chrishazie, 45mpg with 60mpg on gentle motorway runs. Pulls like a train when needed, effortless driving...

Thanks for the replies, but the 270 is probably a bit out of my price range. Should have stated earlier I didnt really want to spend more than £2000, which is why I had only really looked at the W202 and the W210
Thanks

Between the two of them. If it has enought room in it for you then my choice would be a 202 C250 Turbo Estate. .

I have driven a C250TD manual, all I can say is - Very nice if you are used to a manual. Not the worst gear change in the world and you will getmore MPG than the Auto.
Good Luck with your choice.

You might find a W203 CDI 200 or 220 for that money, but it will be in the Valeo radiator period, so check very carefully.

My '04 200 CDI has averaged 49 mpg overall, and can easily get 60 mpg on the motorway.

Where possible I would steer towards the CDI range as these are provide much better MPG. A friend of mine has 2003 C220 CDI he uses as a mini cab and it has 300k on it and still going strong :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom