Which Diognostic system?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sgc321

Car
A180d 2016
I have just picked my shiny new (used) A180d, 2016 and there are one or two retrofits I am looking at doing. For this I will need the correct hardware/software. Just to be clear I am looking for dealer level access and we can discuss what options and their Viability in another thread, I would like to keep this one for diognostics.

I have done some research and I know that I would need Xentry software with the correct multiplexer. The first question is what is the difference between SD C4 and C5? I assume C5 is the better one and C4 is just an older version. Below is a link to what I’m looking at:
Plug&Play V2019.03 HDD SW +MB SD C5 SD Connect Compact 5 Star Diagnose+Dell D630 | eBay

The next question is the version of xEntry on my laptop (or the laptop that comes with it) specifically married to that C5 unit or can I just update the software next year and it will still work fine. If so I would buy it without the laptop like below and I would just install Xentry myself on a current windows xp laptop.

MB SD C5 SD Connect Compact 5 Star Diagnosis for Cars Trucks without Software | eBay

Should I purchase that first option, how long would the 2019.03 software last? And when it expires is it just a case of buying/upgrading the xEntry software on the laptop?

How difficult is it to add Vediamo and get full developer mode?

Finally I would require online SCN coding, I noticed a lot of logins on eBay that you can buy, how long do these last, do they even work? And has anyone got any experience using UPKEY?

One last ting, why do all these units come with numbers you can stick on them?

Any answers you can provide I would be most Appreciative.

The most important aspect regarding diagnostics is the experience to use it fully and correctly. Especially relevant to retro-fits as these tend to be somewhat obtuse in their implementation/coding.
I'd say, rather than trying to use pirated software and key/logins you'd be better served getting to know a good indie with the experience required

I would prefer learn it myself as it’s extremely difficult finding one with the time or knowledge to do such specific things. As far as software goes is there anyway to verify genuine software and will it perform any differently?

How do I go about buying a genuine system or checking that the star system I am buying is genuine? And Tricky do you mean the entire xEntry software would be shut down or just the online account?

it’s extremely difficult finding one with the time or knowledge to do such specific things
Olly and Jack down at PCS in Hornedean have a wealth of knowledge and excel at this sort of thing. They did many of my retro-fits on my S203, which is why I know they rarely are straight forward. A lot of research done by Olly to sort out the shortcomings of the WIS instructions.

As Tricky posts above, go online with cloned/pirated software and you will get shut down. MB are very hot with this sort of thing.

How do I go about buying a genuine system or checking that the star system I am buying is genuine? And Tricky do you mean the entire xEntry software would be shut down or just the online account?

You cannot just buy a genuine system. The ones posted are not genuine.

For a genuine kit, you need authorisation from MB and proof that you are in the trade. It costs thousands and I think you need a subscription too.

With regards to SCN, it would close your online account and blacklist your serial number. TBH good clones are fine to use for everything except SCN coding. You could always get that bit done at a dealer or indie. I have read of clones being used for SCN coding but not sure how it all works.

"I think" what happens is that you tell the SCN Seller what part you need code. They log in with their details then send you the return code

You cannot just buy a genuine system. The ones posted are not genuine.

For a genuine kit, you need authorisation from MB and proof that you are in the trade. It costs thousands and I think you need a subscription too.

With regards to SCN, it would close your online account and blacklist your serial number. TBH good clones are fine to use for everything except SCN coding. You could always get that bit done at a dealer or indie. I have read of clones being used for SCN coding but not sure how it all works.

As above.

I contacted MB regarding the purchase of STAR and and was told that I had to provide evidence that I am in the a business of servicing cars - including website details, VAT registration, etc.

So not applicable to private owners and DIY (unless you are willing to engage in very elaborate fraud... )

Potentially you might find a garage that are selling their genuine STAR kit (because they shutting down, or they got a newer model etc), but this is quite rare and even so I am not sure you will be able to renew the subscription.

Personally, I found that the best way of dealing with SCN coding is by letting Comand UK do it :thumb:

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys, I have talked to Command and they have been helpful however this is a project I would enjoy learning about.

Are any of you able to answer the first couple of quiestions aswell just so I have all the facts and figures and can decide where to go from here?

Again all help is greatly appreciated!

C4 is discontinued, C5 is current.

You can update the software yourself. In fact if you know how, you can buy just the hardware and install your own. Can be updated as long as the C5 supports it, which will be a long time yet.

I have a copy of WIS and EPC and from previous experience retrofitting and module programming in ford vehicles I feel I could obtain/manufacture the correct wiring looms and order the correct parts. I just need to find somebody with access to SCN programming, would anyone be able to assist?

Ok thank you, is that available offline? And is WIS up to date or are there parts that are obviously missing? The current modules I am looking at are for Distronic, memory seats and lane assist plus.

If you subscribe to WIS online then it is always up to date. Same with Parts Info.
Off line versions do not get updated, obviously. That said if you are only working on older models the info is still relevant, just not for parts that are constantly superseded.

You do realise your looking upwards of £3000 for dealer level hardwate/software + subscriptions which would be around £100 a month and you would be tied into this for a minimum period, i dont think the cost is worth it tbh

Ok thank you would the 2019.03 software expire eventually?

Doesn't expire but obviously can't do any models released subsequently.

Doubt you will find an SCN solution on here, there are places out there that can help you though.

Thanks for all of your replies, you have been most helpful! This means I can make more of an informed choice about where I go from here.

I have since noticed a C6 system,
BEZN C6 OEM DOIP Xentry Diagnosis VCI Multiplexer Tool(MB STAR C6)
Is this a successor to the C5 or an unrelated product?

Be careful out there. With this tool you only get the cover that looks like the genuine MB tool. Even the sales text says it is a PassThru device. I understand a a cheap copy of one particular PassThru device.

This is worse than the "C5" with some crap "C4" circuit boards inside. Worse than the old flat "C4" box that had some crap "C3" boards inside. See how Chinese are playing with names to cheat western world customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom