Which E class Diesel engine to go for.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any update ?
Hi, sorry for the late reply.
Ok I have now driven both the 250 and 350 estates ......I drove the 250 first and really liked how it drove. It had quite a few extras but i didn’t mind a few sacrifices-for the all round package. It drove smooth enough and quite powerful and I thought that would probably be the one for me. A few weeks later I then drove the 350 and felt it was a different beast all together. The engine is a lot more powerful yes but the power delivery is easy and smooth and just on test drives didn’t feel like I would be loosing major mpg but couple this with the amount of added extras that seem to be available on this model (second hand) around the same year.....I feel I will be happier with the 350 having all the extras and the power😂. I think some of you will be reading this saying I told you so😂. (One thing i have changed in the search is I prefer the new front end 13 onwards)

So that’s where I’m at right now.....looking for the right one.

Regards
Paul

Good choice. Totally understand. The thing that you miss on the facelift is a the bonnet-mascot and "bolder" front end.

There are some great facelift cars out there in the 350 guise. Curve ball................ in the event that you do not need the extra room of an E class estate, have you driven a CLS350, another underrated car.

Funny how people think different, (which is good) but I think the pre facelift is much more aggressive, the facelift model has a much softer look, good choice of engine, the 350 is brilliant. :) 👍

Good choice. Totally understand. The thing that you miss on the facelift is a the bonnet-mascot and "bolder" front end.

There are some great facelift cars out there in the 350 guise. Curve ball................ in the event that you do not need the extra room of an E class estate, have you driven a CLS350, another underrated car.
Hi,
I have not driven one but my friend had a 350 cls for a short time and I really liked it. I will be needing an estate for some years yet with my kids only being young. Must admit I don’t know what I would do without one now though😂.
Regards
Paul.

Hi, sorry for the late reply.
Ok I have now driven both the 250 and 350 estates ......I drove the 250 first and really liked how it drove. It had quite a few extras but i didn’t mind a few sacrifices-for the all round package. It drove smooth enough and quite powerful and I thought that would probably be the one for me. A few weeks later I then drove the 350 and felt it was a different beast all together. The engine is a lot more powerful yes but the power delivery is easy and smooth and just on test drives didn’t feel like I would be loosing major mpg but couple this with the amount of added extras that seem to be available on this model (second hand) around the same year.....I feel I will be happier with the 350 having all the extras and the power😂. I think some of you will be reading this saying I told you so😂. (One thing i have changed in the search is I prefer the new front end 13 onwards)

So that’s where I’m at right now.....looking for the right one.

Regards
Paul
Personal view of course, but I think you’ve made a wise choice. The 250 is a super vehicle, but the 350 is one of Mercedes all time greats. I prefer the pre facelift model myself, slightly more bang for your bucks and sleeker lMHO.
But all in the eye as they say. Best of luck looking. 😎

Hi,
I have not driven one but my friend had a 350 cls for a short time and I really liked it. I will be needing an estate for some years yet with my kids only being young. Must admit I don’t know what I would do without one now though😂.
Regards
Paul.
CLS shooting brake is a design icon for me. 😎
Certain future classic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom