which Eclass for upto £19k?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dave10

I'd appreciate some advice in choosing a merc.

I need one with adjustable steering column.
Do no more than 10k
Budget about 15-19k
Plan is to hold on to the car for about 5-8 years
Not keen on anything less than a 2.6litre.
Been told best to stretch to a 320CDi if i can

read a couple of problems :eg"
Daimler Chrysler has now admitted to another rust problem on all W210 E Class up to June 2001 build - apparently due to using stretched steel construction. Affects areas around door window seals and suspension mounting points. May be a problem with the engine mounts of the E320CDI. Complaints of water ingress leading to corrosion damage of ventlilation system blower motor. "

Is this a common problem?

I don't suppose saloons have split rear seats that fold down for access to the boot?

Realistic servicing costs- £500 a year?

Why not go for a 220 CDI. It will perform like a 2.6 petrol due to the extra torque.

There has been a rust issue on W210s but I didn't think it applied to late model years. The car has a 30 year warranty anyway and MB will pay for justified repairs.

The problem areas are the door tops where the seals hook in, the boot around the lock, bonnet frames where the two skins meet. Suspension tops have been known but are not common.

A good dose of rust preventative wax is a must but does work wonders.

Last edited:
220 CDI is the best all rounder. 240 guzzles the petrol with no real results to show for it.

many thanks.
i'v now tried the cdi220 manual
240 saloon and estate autos.

will keep eyes peeled for a 320cdi.

320 TD Estate

Lowest depreciating car you can buy.

Go like a train, brilliant crusiers, with virtually unburstable engines and transmissions.

Auto car tested a 320CDI saloon 271099
0-60mph 8.0 secs 0-100mph 20.8 secs 141mph a shade behind the petrol 320 but it was faster 30-70mph in only 6.9 secs.
On thier test (including the performance testing) they got 31mpg compared to 22mpg for the E320 :eek:

You see mega milers, my friend has a 97 300TD estate 285,000 miles (about two months ago) with irregular maint, still runs like a dream, he gets well over 30 mpg. He bought it at 89,000 miles and the dealer who sold it to him wants it back.

Top gear tested

"Mercedes-Benz E320 CDi estate
[May 01 2000]

I've moved to the country. And you know all that stuff about moving house being one of the most stressful things you can do? Well, that's absolutely correct, especially when you're leaving the place of your birth. Suddenly, I'm no longer a city dweller. I'm having an identity crisis, I'm even beginning to like diesels. Aaaarrrgh!

Take a deep breath. It's OK, this diesel doesn't smell as bad as most of them. That's because it's a Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI, with the new six-cylinder oil-burner using common rail technology, don't you know. And if the combination of estate body, automatic gearbox and diesel engine sounds like the cure for insomnia, think again.

If there's one thing that derv-drinkers have going for them, it's torque. This 3.2-litre has 347lb ft of it, available from 1,800 to 2,600rpm. Which can be very entertaining in the right place. There's enough grunt to get the rear wheels spinning and send the traction control warning light into a flashing frenzy.

What about the noise? Granted, it does sound like a Stuttgart taxi when cold, but climb into the quiet cabin and you can forget all that. Settle into the comfy seats, slide the gearshift into 'D', you are going on a prejudice-challenging ride. And what a good ride it is - smooth and forgiving without being sloppy and wallowy.

Corners are taken with more neutrality than Switzerland. Just steer it and the front wheels do your bidding. Within reason, of course. Shifting through the five ratios is as sweet as a Crystal Gayle tune, whether you let the automatic 'box do the work or use the 'Tipshift' function yourself. The time lapse between toe hitting the floor and car propelling forward is quickly compensated for once the big brute gets moving. And, sure enough, the brakes work great.

So why move to the country? The idea was to get some space and some fresh air. This place was my colleague Frog's idea. He lives in this little town where it seems that everyone is married to their sister (excluding Frog, of course), so it seemed only right to bring my banjo.

As it turns out, the estate part of this E320 can hold enough banjos to keep a whole barnful of rednecks busy. Luckily for all concerned, I've only got the one, but I've amassed a heap of other stuff over the years. So this car has been ideal for reducing the stress of moving house. Well, the Merc, and Jason and Terry in the Transit van, and my mate Matt. As for Frog, I think I'll make him squeal like a pig. "
:eek:

the estate does sound appealing. just have to get my head around having the biggest car on the street by about half a car's length! fantastic for th ehouse moves etc i guess.
appreciaet your time to reply.

We have a 220 CDI estate . When i go between my C class and the estate its like driving a bus :p but you get used to it.

Its a great car to drive. I find it easy to park as well as when you can see to is where it ends.

Dave
I can highly recommend the E320. Had mine for a year and its been pretty good. Of course the usual dealer problems as I am sure most people have. The 6 cyclinder is a lovely engine and always has power in reserve. The fuel consuption is not bad neither. I travel into London every day and with the traffic and a bit of motorway conbined I never get much less than 26 to the gallon. On a run with a constant 80-90 mph about 33 to the gallon.
No real problems apart from a new petrol sender which is a common problem.

The only real problem is finding one and lowish mileage at that!
Good luck with your decision.
Cheers
Ian

I know you asked about an E class, how about a C270 CDi......

Fully spec'ed you get a superb motor for that budget.

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom