Which engine oil for W208 230K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ollieclk

Car
Skoda Octavia vRS
The oil that has been used is Mobil Super S 10W-40
Mobil%20Super%20S%204L.jpg

Is this the best oil to use? Or would i be better with fully synthetic?

if you dont want to risk rough start-ups in the coming winter then use 0-40W fully synthetic, this is what i use in my 230k regardless.

Had it serviced yesterday and the details listed were Mobil Super - Oil grade DL-14677 I am asuming this is what they have used.

if you dont want to risk rough start-ups in the coming winter then use 0-40W fully synthetic, this is what i use in my 230k regardless.
10-40W fully synthetic in my case. The engine will thank you for it.

RH

I was always advised not to use fully synthetic in the 230K but to use semi - syn, theres a school of thought that fully syn has a detrimental effect on some of the seals and gasket materials used. This is certainly true on some Porsche and BMW engines but have never seen anything published for MB Engines. Anyway as the advice came from a MB race engineer I thought I would play safe and I always stick with semi syn. Would welcome other comments though if anyone knows if certain MB engines dont like fully syn the same as the other German Marques.

I was always advised not to use fully synthetic in the 230K but to use semi - syn, theres a school of thought that fully syn has a detrimental effect on some of the seals and gasket materials used. This is certainly true on some Porsche and BMW engines but have never seen anything published for MB Engines. Anyway as the advice came from a MB race engineer I thought I would play safe and I always stick with semi syn. Would welcome other comments though if anyone knows if certain MB engines dont like fully syn the same as the other German Marques.

On that note they have at least done something right lol.

So 10-40W semi-synthetic is better for the 230K engine than 0-40w... would someone care to explain (technically) how this is possible?

I thought when cold, the 0-40 would be better, and when hot it has exactly the same viscosity as the 10-40? whats the difference???

So 10-40W semi-synthetic is better for the 230K engine than 0-40w... would someone care to explain (technically) how this is possible?

I thought when cold, the 0-40 would be better, and when hot it has exactly the same viscosity as the 10-40? whats the difference???

Depends on what your definition of better is, I agree with everything you say in terms of performance of the oil and you are quite correct. I was told the problem is that fully syn is not compatible with some of the materials used in seals and gaskets as where semi syn is. The problem is not as bad if the engine has run on fully syn all its life but if it has had mineral oil in , semi syn and then run on fully syn I was told this gives problems. I can certainly state this is the case with some BMW and Porsche engines that develop disastorous oil leaks and engine failures when run on fully syn.

Hi Folks new here and first post.:thumb:

I have used Mobil 1 0w-40 and Shell V-Power from day one.

I thought I would share an important observation: the lack of any deposits around the exhaust tips, they are as clean as a whistle.

My car is 2 years old now.

Last edited:
Any other more recent views on this issue. Just about to do first oil & filter change on W208 CLK230K and have already gone out and bought 2 x 4.5 litres of Viscol 5w 30 Synthetic @ £14.99 a bottle. Don't know what's in the car, only when it was last serviced 20+ k ago. It may have had a change since but no idea. Many on here say that 10W 40 Semi-Synth is better. Thoughts??

Just checked their website and these are the info. I've used the semi-synth 10w 40 in my diesel's and older cars for a few years and no issues.
Viscol Oil Company

Last edited:
As stated use 10w40 semi in your engine.

I would think that 0W-40 fully synth will to thin ! this is quite a new oil, I think ! and is for the more modern / new engines.
But older cars most likely 10W-40, as already sujested.
If you have any doubt go to www.commaoil.com then click on passenger vehicles, then there is a box to enter your reg number, enter, then it will bring up your make and model, telling you which oil it takes !! :thumb:

I also have an older BMW E30 (for sale on here BTW !) and I just got it serviced and I had wrongly been informed it would take fully synth oil ! which I doubted, so I enquired with a mate who has worked in the "parts" trade for about 20 years and he told me about this site.

Hope this helps

People should remember that when servicing older cars its useful to think back to the oils AND service intervals that were used at the time the engine was designed. The M111 ENGINE introduction goes back to 1993. Not many ultra thin synthetics in general use at that time. A semi-synthetic 10w-40 changed every 6,000 miles will be fine. If you want to extend that service interval to 9,000 then a 5w-40 fully synthetic might be considered.

Last edited:
People should remember that when servicing older cars its useful to think back to the oils AND service intervals that were used at the time the engine was designed. The M111 ENGINE introduction goes back to 1993. Not many ultra thin synthetics in general use at that time. A semi-synthetic 10w-40 changed every 6,000 miles will be fine. If you want to extend that service interval to 9,000 then a 5w-40 fully synthetic might be considered.

Very good point regarding the available oils at time of registration, my C230K 1996 model, I always used semi synthetic with no issues, incidentally the service interval laid down by MB at the time for my car was 9000 miles.

So about to buy some more oil for my CLK 230k after having bought the 5w 30 and been told it's not appropriate, so i've considered the advice and now trying to source some oil. Some are saying 10w 40 but others say to use whatever has been in the car to date. Having gone through service history up to 85k, mine has been filled with Mobil Super S 5w 40. I've looked at this oil, any thoughts. It is 229.3 so meets recommended grade.

Engine Oil Service Kit: 9 litres of Gulf Formula G 5w-40 | eBay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom