Which Engine Oil?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's right we already have industry standards , if there's something asmiss we have VLS and that's why even supermarket oil is just as good as branded as a spec is a spec .
Lots made by big brand read the data safety sheet it discloses manufacturer although formula is diff to there own

I'm far more interested in manufacturer specs approved or meets or exceeds the requirements of..as it gives us the full oil performance profile .

ACEA and API are just small requirements .

I'm far more interested in manufacturer specs approved or meets or exceeds the requirements of..as it gives us the full oil performance profile .

What are you doing awake at 3.00am buddy ? I thought there was only one of them (3.00) and it was in the afternoon :rolleyes:

ACEA and API are just small requirements

most do exceed if buying decent stuff

But there is no distinction between decent stuff and marketing unless conducting back to back oil analysis .

It's worth noting that in most cases (there are a few exceptions) the various manufacturer-specific oil speculations represent the car manufacturer's preferences in respect of what the performance envelope of an engine oil should have (which is always a compromise between various indivudual properties), but it does not mean that a particular type of oil spec recommended by the car manufacturer is somehow specifically suited for its engines. This is essentially why most car manufacturers who publish their proprietary recommended oil specifications (and not all car manufacturers do that) will have only a handful of oil spec to cover a very large selection of engine types from different eras and using very different technologies etc.

VW don't mess around they produce a one stop shop universal high quality manufacturer spec oil that does 1.0L petrol , diesel , PD , LongLife , common rail , TFSl , n/a , turbo charged , super charged , 3 - 10 cylinder , S and RS models .

But there is no distinction between decent stuff and marketing unless conducting back to back oil analysis .

While raw data such as presented above is extremely useful, there are are several other aspects that should be taken into account.

1. The age of the car---- cars more than 10-15 years old may have a recommended service schedule that is geared to the oil technology available at the time.

2. The normal usage of the car- frequent stop start / cold journeys will shorten the useful operating life of any oil be it mineral based or the latest synthetic [ altho obviously the synthetic will be better in this respect]

3. Cost-- over specifying an oil to somehow derive "more benefit" is false economy. Low saps/ ash oils such as MB229.31 and MB 229.51 are only of benefit to diesel engined cars with DPF's [ diesel particulate filters] for example.

For older models my rule of thumb is- use the grade of oil Mercedes recommended when the car was in production- if they thought it was adequate -- it was. Stick to Mercedes recommended service intervals for oil and filter changes taking into account the car's normal operating conditions.
If you want to pamper your pride and joy change the oil and filter at shorter service invervals rather than go for some esoteric extended service interval 21rst century oil that costs a fortune and spend the money you save on some other aspect of maintaining the car' s health. :dk:
Thanks for your valuable information.

I've never followed manufacturer servicing schedules for oil; have always thought it be too long between oil changes; whether its VW, BMW or Mercs. More-so important with turbocharged engines as the engine oil is also used by the turbocharger(s) in the car. Oil & oil filter every 5000 miles; cost is negligable if you are doing it yourself :)

I've never followed manufacturer servicing schedules for oil; have always thought it be too long between oil changes; whether its VW, BMW or Mercs. More-so important with turbocharged engines as the engine oil is also used by the turbocharger(s) in the car. Oil & oil filter every 5000 miles; cost is negligable if you are doing it yourself :)

Similar here, oil & filter annually, with oil change in between after 6 months. Using the pump-out method nowadays.

Looking to do an oil change on my 642 E350Cdi with DPF.

Is this MANNOL stuff good? Link

The MB branded stuff seems out of stock for 20L so trying to decide what is a good value oil to buy in 20L bulk.

Also not sure if 5/30 or 5/40 is best for my mileage.

Thanks

I would personally go for 229.52 5W-30 oil (though 5W-40 is also OK).

The MB branded stuff seems out of stock for 20L so trying to decide what is a good value oil to buy in 20L bulk.

Thanks
BEWARE ...!!!!!!! MANOL MAY NOT COMPLY WITH LABELLED SPEC see below

Attachments

• 5D9D3F0B-E5E2-4647-BBC5-D7F825C8C43D.png
    5D9D3F0B-E5E2-4647-BBC5-D7F825C8C43D.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 8

Thanks

Attachments

• 6FFFF8D9-C43F-49BC-8DDD-118908A6953E.png
    6FFFF8D9-C43F-49BC-8DDD-118908A6953E.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 5
You are not understanding the infringement very well !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom