Which Estate Hatchback

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BelfastBill

Car
S CLASS 320 CDI
Hi I have to get an Estate due to the dogs and fishing equipment, my S Class won't do it. Thinking about a E Class or a Volvo xc 70 Cross country. Pro's and con's about the E Class as I would love to stick with the Mercedes.

Cheers'
Bill.

S211 all the way. Get the right one and it's reliable, comfortable and is just …… right!

My father in law has an Xc70 which I’ve borrowed a few time. The Five cylinder diesel is a peach and apparently bomb proof. It’s a super comfy car....best seats out there! But it looks like a hearse (his is black). Nice car though and super value.

Had an S211 E class estate for 3 years and it was by far my best Mercedes. Faultless, comfortable, quick enough and so cavernous i never ran out of space for just about anything I needed to cart around. Great looking inside and out IMO. :)

full

Thanks all. Keep the suggestions coming

I've had an S211 and an S212 loved them both. 211 seems to have more room and better alround visibility but the 212 seemed a better drive, both were 6 pot diesels

We get two large briards in the back of my CLS SB with no issues. Also, we moved house a month ago and managed to fit 2 bookcases (with the back seats down) to take into storage. When it's not being a mobile kennel or removal van, it looks amazing too!

I would like to stay with a Mercedes if possible, so which is the best 4x4 Mercedes around the 2008 models.

Not the SB models.
Yes they do! What would be the point of an estate without folding seats?!

SUV's were created by the US government when it introduced gas guzzler taxes. To avoid the quotas and taxes, the industry introduced SUV's which are classified as "Trucks," and therefore not affected by the regulatory limits. To everyone's surprise, the American public took to them en masse, picking them up as a more exciting "lifestyle" alternative to the Station wagon.

SUV's like the ML and GL are great, but they're sort of designed for off road work, with appropriate suspension and hopefully the right tyres.(Not always) If you're going offload, they're a better choice than estate cars. They also have the added advantage of an imperious seating position, and a feeling of impregnability.

The downside is that the have the aerodynamics of a brick, and typically carry a LOT of extra weight, which makes them fuel inefficient. They are also dreadful in general purpose motorway and country lane driving, simply because of the extra weight that you're carrying around. Think 110 kilo bloke with 38 inch waist - he's at a disadvantage.

The Estates give you saloon car handling, at whatever performance level, with easy access for equipment and dogs, and comparable rear space to the equivalent ML.

Bear in mind that your elderly in-law and dogs will also struggle to pull themselves in and out of an SUV. Which doesn't matter if it's an 80 year old Granny, but does matter if it's your favourite Golden Labrador.

If considering an ML or GL make absolutely certain that your wife or loved one is actually prepared to drive it. South West London is full of women who want an SUV but hate driving it.

Bear in mind that a GL is an enormous car. It won't give you that much extra space inside, but it is much more of a challenge to park.

But, in the end, the only way to judge this is to drive them, and work out whether they suit you. It's all about what you see and feel.

Final closing point: MB SUV's are made in the Southern USA. The E class is built in Sindelfingen, Stuttgart. 'Nuff said.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Folding rear seats on the CLS saloon only came in with the second generation car, the W218 (2010 onwards), but very few people ordered them as an extra, so you'll struggle to find one.

Folding rear seats in a saloon are a useful compromise for people who like the saloon shape but need extra space occasionally - for fishing or golf gear.

But a saloon with folding seats isn't really a solution for a dog.

If you own any oil fields it might be worth pointing out that the Sultan of Brunei gets Sindelfingen to build him S Class estate cars occasionally

8ab00a34bb09409f0371b7105a913254.jpg

S73.jpg

I thought they'd stopped issuing dog licences . . . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom