Which executive car for <£10k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've read issues of 5-series fitted with run flat tyres and how that badly effects the handling. Was this your finding also? I am presuming the standard SE had normal tyres and the M-sport has the larger run flat tyres.

We have an E60 535d with runflats and yes they give a slight 'edge' to the ride but only compared to the E39 Sport which rides superbly.

I can add a + to the Jag diesel option in terms of engine and ride as my father in law owns one. Great engine. Interior space is probably less than any of the other rivals though (5 series of E class).

I have the same dilemma.

Been looking for a W211 but I can only find prices well over 10K at dealers with 1 year warranty and 40-50k mileage. I don't do a lot of mileage so a big engine isn't a worry(insurance is).

My thoughts were E60- BMW 530i se
E60 BMW 520I SE
E60 BMW 525D SE OR 530DSE
I have seen a 530 for 10.5k and a 520 se for 9k.

Which colours combos are safe. Oxford green/beige interior or grey/black int?
The diff in mpg in 520 and 530 is about 1-2mpg...not sure why that is? insu is 15 and 17 group.

I can look at w211 but new model is coming and used prices will fall. Anyone know when new 5 is out?

Hi thanks for those details. One of them the private guy i've already rung.
The think is being not car clued up..I'd rather have 12 months warranty via bmw or say major dealer.

Seen 54 plate 525d se auto 75k miles leather for £9999 at main dealer

also a 520se 54/05 manual with cloth at £9999 at main dealer not bmw but jag.

if a 530d se came up for 10k is that a steal since one got sold for £9949.
One bmw dealer is trying to sell me a 520 se manual leather for 9K with 40k miles extras are sunroof, leather, loading no nav.

which extras are amust for resale?

How come nobody has yet suggested a W203 C Class?
To get a car to meet all the criteria is pushing it a bit.
Petrol.
30MPG
Executive size
High performance

Some of the cars suggested would never qualify for the 30MPG target. Maybe on a good run, but never mixed driving.
An E class would be nice but you arent going to get 30MPG are you? Now be honest.

With the current climate, I would expect a facelifted W203 C180K to be within the £10K budget.
You WOULD easily reach the 30MPG goal plus all the other stipulations.
I think it would all come down to whether the C Class is percieved as "executive sized".
I would argue it is.

Around town I get absolute lowest 20-24 on my auto w203 c180. On the motorway it is v.easy to hit even 40+ mpg... but usually average around 34-38.

BTW I usually drive in 'C' mode does that affect the figures?

How come nobody has yet suggested a W203 C Class?
To get a car to meet all the criteria is pushing it a bit.
Petrol.
30MPG
Executive size
High performance

Some of the cars suggested would never qualify for the 30MPG target. Maybe on a good run, but never mixed driving.
An E class would be nice but you arent going to get 30MPG are you? Now be honest.

With the current climate, I would expect a facelifted W203 C180K to be within the £10K budget.
You WOULD easily reach the 30MPG goal plus all the other stipulations.
I think it would all come down to whether the C Class is percieved as "executive sized".
I would argue it is.

I read somewhere you're 6'4? Is that correct? My mate after a car is also 6'4, so cabin size is important to him. I'm 6'2 and comfortably fit in a W203. How do you find it? Can anyone sit behind you?

Around town I get absolute lowest 20-24 on my auto w203 c180. On the motorway it is v.easy to hit even 40+ mpg... but usually average around 34-38.

BTW I usually drive in 'C' mode does that affect the figures?

A bit.
This point has been discussed at length before and if I recall correctly, the general concencus of opinion was that using C Mode gave about 2-3MPG extra over S Mode.
All down to the fact that C Mode skips 1st gear and pulls away in 2nd - unless you floor the accelerator in which case 1st gear does kick in.
I always use C Mode as well.
My average MPG in my C200K is approx 32-34. Around town about 28-30 but on a good long run, the best ever was 43.

I read somewhere you're 6'4? Is that correct? My mate after a car is also 6'4, so cabin size is important to him. I'm 6'2 and comfortably fit in a W203. How do you find it? Can anyone sit behind you?

About 6'4"ish with flat loafer style shoes. 6'3"ish without.
My W203 has a sunroof which cuts down headroom by about an inch or so. Providing I set the drivers seat low, then I have PLENTY of headroom. And legroom. Its one of the few cars I have owned where I dont have to adjust my seat forwards to allow a passenger sitting behind me. Providing they are average size of course.
I find the W203 is a good compromise. Any larger and it would be a bit tight down some of the lanes around where I live. Any smaller and it would not be quite big enough. Mercedes got it just about right for UK use IMHO.

A bit.
This point has been discussed at length before and if I recall correctly, the general concencus of opinion was that using C Mode gave about 2-3MPG extra over S Mode.
All down to the fact that C Mode skips 1st gear and pulls away in 2nd - unless you floor the accelerator in which case 1st gear does kick in.
I always use C Mode as well.
My average MPG in my C200K is approx 32-34. Around town about 28-30 but on a good long run, the best ever was 43.

Thanks for this yes spot on info. +1

I agree with VTD to a point, especially given a 203's compactness which will favour the car on narrower twistier roads and around town.

However, I do think that the 203 is more of a compact exec, rather than a full size exec like the E class. Size is not the only consideration and one will find the basic materials in a 211 slightly better, the refinement and ride comfort a level above and just that wee bit more space. I'm not slagging a 203 off, just thinking that a 211 will give about 10% more "executive" car traits.

I agree with VTD to a point, especially given a 203's compactness which will favour the car on narrower twistier roads and around town.

However, I do think that the 203 is more of a compact exec, rather than a full size exec like the E class. Size is not the only consideration and one will find the basic materials in a 211 slightly better, the refinement and ride comfort a level above and just that wee bit more space. I'm not slagging a 203 off, just thinking that a 211 will give about 10% more "executive" car traits.

All very true. I believe the C Class W203 was always described as a "compact executive" in tests and reports - like for example the JD power and TopGear surveys. When I bought my car I test drove many other cars, an E Class being one. It was a 320CDI. Went like a steam train but was too big for my purpose. Didnt like the diesel sound either.
The E Class would certainly qualify itself in most of the criteria given by the OP. Where it would fall down would be fuel consumption. With the best will in the world, you arent going to get 30MPG from a petrol E Class. Unless of course you drive it VERY tentatively and dont ever exceed 60mph. Driven normally, I would guess 25-27MPG would be an acheiveable, realistic figure for one of the smaller engined petrol models.

One of the factors that hinders choosing a Merc over other models is the near necessity to have an automatic, which reduces mpg. Pitched against a FWD manual then it looks worse still.

I'm seeing my mate tomorrow evening, so hopefully I'll persuade him to at least test drive an E-class diesel, which may open the possibilities for other diesels to appear on his wish-list.

One of the factors that hinders choosing a Merc over other models is the near necessity to have an automatic, which reduces mpg. Pitched against a FWD manual then it looks worse still.

I'm seeing my mate tomorrow evening, so hopefully I'll persuade him to at least test drive an E-class diesel, which may open the possibilities for other diesels to appear on his wish-list.

What does your mate think of your car?
Just so we know where he stands on the Mercedes front.

What does your mate think of your car?
Just so we know where he stands on the Mercedes front.

We drove it 1000 miles to Scotland and back last week. It was his first time in a Merc and he liked it. General comments were:

· Seats not as comfortable as in his Saab
· Didn't link the single stick to control all indicator/wiper functions etc
· Pleasantly surprised by the efficiency of 3.2 V6
· Found the auto box smooth but it didn't always select the gear he would have chosen if in a manual
· Boot was big for a coupe, but would be too small for him
· Some W208 switches (digital climate) looked dated
· Car looks good for 10 years old

I think he'd like the drive of the E-class as he's more of a motorway wafter than a B-road burner. After all he's a Saab owner ;)

hi

the 5 series or the E class for me.

Or a 2003 730i would be great, but may struggle for a decent one under £10k

but, its a waste of time.... if he is a Saab fan, he will get another Saab. Saab fans are loyal to the last. Just wait and see ;)

Going by some of his comments regarding Mercedes, I am now firmly inclined to agree with SilverSaloons comment and opinion.

Last edited:
Yep, there's no helping some people it seems :)

When he bought his current Saab 95 he also test drove an Audi A6 2.4. It was £1k more, higher mileage and lower spec.
But I think he would consider test driving a newer A6 this time.

We drove it 1000 miles to Scotland and back last week. It was his first time in a Merc and he liked it. General comments were:

· Seats not as comfortable as in his Saab
· Didn't link the single stick to control all indicator/wiper functions etc
· Pleasantly surprised by the efficiency of 3.2 V6
· Found the auto box smooth but it didn't always select the gear he would have chosen if in a manual
· Boot was big for a coupe, but would be too small for him
· Some W208 switches (digital climate) looked dated
· Car looks good for 10 years old

I think he'd like the drive of the E-class as he's more of a motorway wafter than a B-road burner. After all he's a Saab owner ;)

You/he do know that you can change gear manually with your auto box dont you?
Simply knock the lever to the side one way - or the opposite - to change either up or down the box. Providing of course your speed allows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom