Which fast estate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This reminds me of the adage...if you have to ask the price of a Rolls Royce, you can't afford it! In this context, if you are worrying about fuel consumption or frequent fill-ups, then a V10 is obviously not for you...
Since load lugging seems to be your top priority, the compromise needs to be on speed/engine - no brainer for me, the cavernous ML and you can get a top one for £35,000. Best of luck with your search...

ps: can the Beckhams' little girl blame you for her name???:)

The E class is longer inside than the ML with both the seats down, and behind the rear seats. The ML is higher in the back. Both are the same height above the back seats.

I'd go with the E class.

What about non amg models. E500 211 or 212 cars would make a great fast estate. Or down a notch in the Audi range an s6.5.2 v10. I saw last year a low miles estate for under 25k and it was 3yr old on sale at main dealer.450bhp 4wd was very nice very fast lovely sounding big car. Ok it only got 19mpg but I thrashed it so thought it was ok

From what I am divining from your requirements, I think you should stick with what you already have.

Perhaps go and get it chipped (or get a D6 box) if you feel the need for more 'oomph'.

Or an Audi Q7 V8 diesel that a well-respected forum member is selling.

There was an w212 E500 estate on autotrader for £38k recently, that looked a lot of car for the money, someone probably got that for around £36k.

It had everything on it and about 10k miles on it.

How much are they new??

I would also consider an Alpina B5s, that is an absolute monster, but also very refined when need be, plus people are getting between 20-32mpg which is pretty good for such a weapon.

M5 is ****e!
Who wants an estate with a semi manual gearbox? Just doesn't make sense to me.

gIzzE said:
There was an w212 E500 estate on autotrader for £38k recently, that looked a lot of car for the money, someone probably got that for around £36k.

It had everything on it and about 10k miles on it.

How much are they new??

Over 50 grand someone on the other forum has bought a new one and been generous with options. Looking at 70 grand plus for that car new

As has been indicated, 4x4's don't have the length. In addition the load heights are higher.

The largest estate remains the E Class and in the W211 the seats drop flat.

With your budget you should find a great W211 E63, very well specified, very very quick and very practical (other than the economy).

If you search hard there's an powered extending/retracting loadspace floor option (rare) and auto open/close tailgate (more common).

If you go chipped E320 diesel you'll still get reasonable pace, loads of addictive torque and excellent economy - it's a great package, plus at your budget you'll get a later reg.

What's not to like?

I could be tempted to make mine available if the price were............oh, hang on - I didn't mean it......

Last edited:
I actually went from a v70 to my e class and had a 740,850 and another v70 before that.
Great cars for load carrying.
I have considered chipping my 320 but am a little wary of these type of aftermarket add-ons.I am also not sure how much of a difference it will make (although I understand that there will obviously be a difference if you add 50 bhp).

I have considered chipping my 320 but am a little wary of these type of aftermarket add-ons.I am also not sure how much of a difference it will make (although I understand that there will obviously be a difference if you add 50 bhp).

There are a few of us in here with the Brabus chip.

I have the V6 CDi and it takes the engine up to 272 bhp.

Why not try it and if you don't like it, at least you can say that you have given it a test?

There are a few of us in here with the Brabus chip.

I have the V6 CDi and it takes the engine up to 272 bhp.

Why not try it and if you don't like it, at least you can say that you have given it a test?

I agree, I have it on my w221 S320, enough power for my needs, it brings back the pleasure of driving, coming from a big V8, the torque it has at low revs is very good.

Alan

Do it, the Brabus chip is a very good one, better than some ecu maps I have had on other cars for noticeable gains. There is a massive difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom