Which fast estate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

seven

Car
Transporter Kombi
Okay, so I want a quick estate-my work and personal needs mean I can't get away with a saloon. My preference (of course) is for an e63 amg but I would want a w212 and they are not yet affordable for me. I have been looking at m5's which are now under 30k - and I think will drop some more when the new one comes out in September - but am a little concerned about stories of 9 mpg and with a 60 litre tank that means not far between fill ups.
Now I know that if you are buying a v10 engined 500 bhp car then you should not be worrying too much about mpg and if I was then I would stick with my e320. However the prospect of having to stop for fuel maybe a couple of times to get to where I am going does not particularly appeal.
The other option is the rs6 v10 which are now at about 40-45k. I have absolutely no experience of audis but have a friend with an r8 which is an awesome machine.
Of course I could wait a while until the e63 becomes affordable, and looking at how prices have dropped in the last few months that may be sooner than I think!
What experience do you guys have with any of these and what would your choice be?

If you've got about £30k, that should nearly get you a C63 estate.

Noted, but not big enough!
In fact that is one thing I don't like about the BMW - the rear seats don't go completely flat so losing valuable loading space.

What do you have to cart about?

What about an ML63?

Noted, but not big enough!
In fact that is one thing I don't like about the BMW - the rear seats don't go completely flat so losing valuable loading space.

Neither do the rear seats of the 212.

Ah! Didn't know that. Why would you make an estate with seats that don't go flat?

Sweetpea - antique furniture.
I do have a van for larger things but it's nice to see things sometimes as you go and get them then.
Hadn't considered ml 63 will have to have a look.

Ah! Didn't know that. Why would you make an estate with seats that don't go flat?

Simplicity. You can lower the seat backs from the rear of the car by pulling one lever on each side. I do think though that with weight on the seat backs they will go flat.

Sweetpea - antique furniture.
I do have a van for larger things but it's nice to see things sometimes as you go and get them then.
Hadn't considered ml 63 will have to have a look.

I'd definitely look at the ML63 then, or an ML420 CDi (302 bhp).

With the seats down, it *will* have more room than those that you mention.
You can pick up an ML63 for about £28k, the V8 diesel around the low £20k.
What is your actual budget?

Last edited by a moderator:
Budget is about 35k ish.

Give me your £35k and I will give you my C55 estate. I will then spend the change down the pub.

You cant beat the RS6, but i think you will be seeing M5 fuel econamy :doh:

I came from an RS6 Avant into my E350. Awesome potential, although strangely soulless. Total overkill for what I was mainly using it for (commuting into Central London) so it had to go. 10mpg around town. Range wasn't too bad on a long run at 350 miles or so, but that was with an 80 litre tank of 98RON so £££. £40k should get you an early one no problem. Mine sat at an Audi dealer for 3 months losing £1.5k a month before it disappeared from the locator last week. How about a late RS4? Much more involving drive and while a little smaller than the RS6, you'll have your pick for less than £30k. Which leaves you cash for the Milltek and roofbox. ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom