Which Fuel SL400 (R231) 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoristheBounce

Car
EQC 400 4Matic AMG in Brilliant Blue SL400 AMG Sport in Polar White
Hi Guys.

I've done a search but cant really find the answer to this.

Which fuel should I be using in my car!

It says 98RON on the filler cap so I assume that's correct.

But just how important is this? I have a couple of touring trips coming up in the highland next month and 98RON isn't always available up there.

Will I do any damage if I use 95RON?

Cheers

Nev

Hi Guys.

I've done a search but cant really find the answer to this.

Which fuel should I be using in my car!

It says 98RON on the filler cap so I assume that's correct.

But just how important is this? I have a couple of touring trips coming up in the highland next month and 98RON isn't always available up there.

Will I do any damage if I use 95RON?

Cheers

Nev
If it states 98 RON on the filler cap I'm pretty sure that would be the minimum you should use. My R231 SL350 states 95 RON so I can use 95 RON premium unleaded or 98 RON Super unleaded

You won’t damage with 95 if that’s all that’s available buddy , just revert back to 98 when you can

My R231 SL500 also states minimum 95ron.

You have me wondering if I have miss read it now Doh!
I'm still at work at present so will check later when home.
Maybe the V6 is tuned more highly than the V8 and needs the higher ron?

It's a bi turbo, it benefits from higher octane fuel

Tesco 99 for me whenever possible

Ok, confused now, what the hell should I be using???
My SL400 also demands 98. If I get short of 98 I have put half a tank of 95 and topped up with 98 as soon as I can find some. I know that you're going to the Highlands so keep it topped up before you go further north than the Central Belt. I have some recollection of buying 98 as far north as Fort William and Inverness. Not guaranteed but maybe checkable in advance? Have a great trip. Gareth

My SL400 also demands 98. If I get short of 98 I have put half a tank of 95 and topped up with 98 as soon as I can find some. I know that you're going to the Highlands so keep it topped up before you go further north than the Central Belt. I have some recollection of buying 98 as far north as Fort William and Inverness. Not guaranteed but maybe checkable in advance? Have a great trip. Gareth
Cheers Gareth
Will be quite a way up from Fort William.

If you need it there are Octane Boosters readily available.

I have used ones from STP & Millers in the past on a Lotus Twin Cam Engine - cost c. £8 for 200-250 ml.

They seem to work - read the reviews.

NJSS

If you need it there are Octane Boosters readily available.

I have used ones from STP & Millers in the past on a Lotus Twin Cam Engine - cost c. £8 for 200-250 ml.

They seem to work - read the reviews.

NJSS
They do, we use them in the race car.

Attachments

• P8084402a.jpg
    P8084402a.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 1
What does it say in your handbook Nev about the 98-95 on your filler lid?

Hi , my C207/400 requires a minimum of 95 ( on the fuel flap ) but Mercedes recommend 98.

Reading the hand booking says if you cannot find 98 just slow down😭 until you can fill up with 98.

Ok, confused now, what the hell should I be using???
Unsure why there is confusion?

It clearly states 98 RON on the fuel filler flap as the preferred fuel rating but the 95 RON in brackets is showing that it is perfectly safe to use that type of fuel if 98 RON is not available.

The engine will automatically adapt to a lower octane rating by retarding the ignition as required. I doubt you would notice a great deal of difference.

Last edited:
You are right, it's common sense but just having stretched myself to get the SL I'm in no hurry to detonate the engine. :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom