Which grade of fuel should be used in AMG's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spireite

Car
C63 Coupe
Hi, just wondered which fuel fellow AMG owners put in their vehicle, whether its standard unleaded or super unleaded?
Nobody from MB told me anything when i picked up my car, so have been putting in ordinary unleaded. That was until i just read in the book that super unleaded should be used!!!
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

IMHO - if you can afford the overall running costs of an AMG, why use anything other than the best fuel available?

The cost is fairly insignificant unless you're doing very high mileage - in which case why would you buy a 6.2 V8 petrol engined car? :D

I would use V-power, if nothing else than for the additives, I think Shell do double loyalty card points on V-power too.

But then I only did about 900 miles in the CLK55 last year...! :rolleyes:

Hi, just wondered which fuel fellow AMG owners put in their vehicle, whether its standard unleaded or super unleaded?
Nobody from MB told me anything when i picked up my car, so have been putting in ordinary unleaded. That was until i just read in the book that super unleaded should be used!!!
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

What octane rating did it say for this 'super unleaded'?

I very much doubt if it needs anything higher than the standard fuel. I've never been a fan of paying even more for some fancy fuel, I'm of the view that it's just a way to get more money out of people by telling them it's better because it costs more.

I've tried a few tankfuls each of premium (95), super (97) and V-Power (99) and so far I get the best overall results (economy and performance) with 97 RON petrol.

What octane rating did it say for this 'super unleaded'?

I very much doubt if it needs anything higher than the standard fuel. I've never been a fan of paying even more for some fancy fuel, I'm of the view that it's just a way to get more money out of people by telling them it's better because it costs more.
Hi, it states 98 RON or 88 MON?:dk:

I just put normal unleaded in mine because it's a lot cheaper. On the odd occasion of to hell with it I have put in 98 Ron (Tescos Momentum or whatever it's called) but haven't noticed any difference.

M

It will tell you on the inside of the fuel flap. Mine says 98 RON on it which puts you in super unleaded. Must admit cant notice any difference with V Power so have been using Tescos Momentum. Car is quite happy on it.

Mine came with a glove box full of receipts for bp ultimate for the first 8k of its life before I owned it so that, and the fact it says 98 in the filler cap, means I have continued with bp ultimate. Never tried any other brand/type to compare.

AMGs need 98RON Super Unleaded.

The owner's manual states that you can of course use 95RON Unleaded in the event 98RON is unavailable, but should expect lower performance and poorer economy as the ignition will be retarded when using the lower quality fuel.

The difference between 95 and 98 should be quite noticeable and, as others have said, it simply doesn't make any sense to buy a performance car like an AMG and not run it on the best fuel you can get your hands on.

I just put normal unleaded in mine because it's a lot cheaper. On the odd occasion of to hell with it I have put in 98 Ron (Tescos Momentum or whatever it's called) but haven't noticed any difference.

M

I'm the same, no noticeable difference and use 95 most of the time

I'm the same, no noticeable difference and use 95 most of the time

Using 95RON on a performance engine is like asking AMG to de-tune your car, a kind of Negative Performance Package, if you will.

Some reading: Thorney Motorsport - Fuel Test Results Update

Once you've listened to an engine knock like crazy on inappropriate fuel you'll never put it in your tank again!

The DME operates a closed loop knock detection system.

They will knock on 95 octane if coming straight from 97+ and the DME will automatically retard the ignition timing. This wil result in atleast around 20hp less HP and midrange torque. The engine will generally feel less responsive.

If you cannot feel this it's because you've not run the car long enough on high octane to notice.

While the DME is quite quick it will take a while to overcome the negative knock adaptions per cylinder. Once the DME achieves close to the factory set ignition targets you WILL notice the difference going back to 95.

How long it takes to achieve the stock ignition targets moving to high octane will depend on the knock adaptions. In most cases the knock adaptions must be reset.

Understand opne simple fact - using high octane fuel stops detonation and is the cheapest performance upgrade you can have.

If you think 20hp is not alot then you should remove 20hp from your current setup and go drive the car. You WILL notice it.

Also, the closer the engine runs to the stock ignition targets the better the fuel economy will be.

When the DME listens to knock it not only retards ignition but also adds fuel under heavy load to full load at high rpm to protect the engine.

Yes, if there was no knock detection the factory targets would be so low that it would work just fine on 95 octane and probably never knock (until carbon build up int he cylinders takes it's course). So using high octane gives little or no performance gains on a static ignition setup.

Some reading: Thorney Motorsport - Fuel Test Results Update

Fascinating reading, have found the Tescos stuff to be good on my wagon.

Shell v power is highly recomended not just for performance but is also a cleaner fuel

I am pretty sure that the 112 and 113 engined AMG's were designed for 95 Ron fuel so will not have any signs of knock, not sure on the 156 or 157 engines though.

Just a note to say that in the USA, 'regular' gas is 89 RON and Premium is maybe 95 depending on the brand, i.e. well below the UK equivalent.

The sticker in my E63 says to use 98 RON, but a minimum of 93.

I generally use standard 95 from my local Tesco. Even if it loses a few horses, there's plenty more where they came from :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom