Which H7 headlight bulb?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
1) When I was a young lad... I fitted 100W bulbs to high beam only. I had no idea at the time that 100W bulbs were illegal for road use, and I still don't understand why you should not be able to use them in the high beam - it makes no sense to limit the high beam.

However... be it is it may, you can't get 100W road-legal bulbs in the UK (the box usually says 'off-road use only'), so I am not using them.

2) I have used Osram NightBreaker, NightBreaker Plus, and NightBreaker Unlimited before, they were all good but none lasted for very long. Typically, a bulb lasted between 6 months to 2 years. By the 2 years mark, all 4 ere replaced.

3) I am currently using Osram NightBreaker Silver, which for me represent a good compromise between brightness and longevity.

I thought about using NB Silver for dipped beam and NB Unlimited for high beam, but I am no sure that the bulbs in the high beam will actually last longer, because they tend to come on and off all the time, and potentially that shortens the bulb life even more than continues use.

Also having 4 identical bulbs is logistically more simple.

All these after market bulbs are the same wattage as standard and here is the really weird bit, they even have to comply with the same lumen output which under ECE regs a H7 bulb has to be between 1350 and 1650 lumens at 13.2 volts. Even on the high output types the data sheet will still typically say 1500 lumens +or- 10% which means they can't be more than 1650.

So how is it they manage to appear brighter and how to they get away with the up to 60% more light claims etc ?

One fact and perhaps the biggest is that the light is whiter because the filament runs hotter.

The rest is down to a smaller and more accurately positioned filament that perhaps does put out the claimed extra light but only in specific parts of the beam. They are probably pushing the measuring techniques too.

Pretty much summed up all my thoughts there and my mind keeps wondering back to previous winner of AE tests, here's last years result.

The specifications for today’s halogen bulbs were set back in the sixties and seventies, when manufacturing wasn’t as precise as it is today. To cope, generous tolerances were allowed, and makers now exploit these to give extra performance, taking outputs and build restrictions to the extremes of what is allowed. One area is light output, which we check to ensure bulbs remain in compliance. Both our RacingVision samples exceeded the maximum by some margin and are therefore not rated. They were tested in Osrams light tunnel though so ........ :rolleyes:

Facing an MOT next month I wasn't sure how to take this, I had racing visions before and they were great but I'm not risking an MOT fail over bulbs so well done AE I was spooked enough to avoid them lol.

I caved to peer pressure and went for the "night breaker laser next generation" (bit of a mouthful) and a lightning Mc Queen wall sticker for my youngest which instantly got stuck to him the second I peeled it off :wallbash:.

Taking into consideration I'm replacing old with new there are always going to be noticeably brighter, that being said they seem ok so far but I never really took notice how well lit my route to work is lit by massive LED lamp posts until today.

I'll have a bit more of a test tonight when I pick up my daughter and have to hit the country lanes. They are very bright though and I'll be looking for better side light bulbs today.

In terms of their longevity time will tell but I always have a full assortment of bulbs under the floor in the boot just in case as any good road user does.

One last thing to consider is the headlamp itself I think. I love my w203 and look after it meticulously but I have never been a fan of the headlamp pattern, where the light falls is all a bit higgledy piggledy so I think I'll only get so much from the bulb but we strive to do the research and get the best for our money regardless.

I really appreciate everyone's help, feedback and experience and will report a bit more on them once I have used them a bit more.

Reactions: 190
1) When I was a young lad... I fitted 100W bulbs to high beam only. I had no idea at the time that 100W bulbs were illegal for road use, and I still don't understand why you should not be able to use them in the high beam - it makes no sense to limit the high beam.

The further up the road I can see the better.

Thankfully you're in Scotland not down south, so I won't be lighting up my main beams at you as yours are blinding as well as illegal. Just hope there are coppers in your neck of the woods who are not so accommodating.

I'll be back on dipped long before you have to worry.

3) I am currently using Osram NightBreaker Silver, which for me represent a good compromise between brightness and longevity.

To put some numbers on that Osram data sheets now quote 330 hours for the Night breaker silver and 150 hours for the Laser.

I’d love to know proportion of light throw derived from the bulb and the proportion from the headlamp reflector...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom