Which iCarsoft reader?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fredfoxuk2

Car
CLA 200 Coupe (C118)
Hi

There's quite a few diag readers on Amazon - is this one any good?

Thanks.

Hi

There's quite a few diag readers on Amazon - is this one any good?

Thanks.
Yes the MB V2.0 is a good reader, but there's a newer model available as well, it's the iCarsoft CR PRO which gives a bigger coverage of other makes as well as the primary one, which is MB. Its a bit more expensive, but yiou can do more with it, Check it out, and see if it will suit you better. Which ever one you decide on, make sure that you get it from an iCarsoft recognised supplier so that you will continue to get regular updates. As onefortheroad has already mentioned, ukpartsdirect .com are good suppliers, and I got my Cr Pro from them.

Yes the MB V2.0 is a good reader, but there's a newer model available as well, it's the iCarsoft CR PRO which gives a bigger coverage of other makes as well as the primary one, which is MB. Its a bit more expensive, but yiou can do more with it, Check it out, and see if it will suit you better. Which ever one you decide on, make sure that you get it from an iCarsoft recognised supplier so that you will continue to get regular updates. As onefortheroad has already mentioned, ukpartsdirect .com are good suppliers, and I got my Cr Pro from them.

My understanding is that the CR Pro covers a larger range of car brands, which is useful if you also own one or more non-MB cars, but I don't think there's a difference in functionality between the V2.0 and the CR Pro when it comes to MB-related features - unless anyone knows otherwise?

Doesn't seem to be as we have both .

The MB I keep in the car all the time .

Theres also a 10 car model out now for around £160 . Just noticed it on uk parts website.

Mercedes only was no use to me or other restrictions so I’ve just bought the Pro for £220 and it should be with me in a couple of days so I’ll report back.

My understanding is that the CR Pro covers a larger range of car brands, which is useful if you also own one or more non-MB cars, but I don't think there's a difference in functionality between the V2.0 and the CR Pro when it comes to MB-related features - unless anyone knows otherwise?
I'm not sure Mark ....the 1st iCarsoft scanner I got was the iCarsoft MB 11, which was shortly ( literally days.. in fact) replaced by the MB V2.0, so I let it go for awhile, and then the CR Pro was introduced, and presumably with more capabilities, inc, regen, so I went for it. But as to its capabilities compared to the MB V2, I don't know. Maybe there's some forum members who would know? It was a more expensive scanner though. Last Feb 2020, when I bought it, was £246.00

We had a "group buy" on this forum for the CR pro in Dec 2019 for £175. I bought one of them and am very happy with it (and it does my Audi as well!!)
Perhaps the mods could see if there is interest in another buy??

kc

We had a "group buy" on this forum for the CR pro in Dec 2019 for £175. I bought one of them and am very happy with it (and it does my Audi as well!!)
Perhaps the mods could see if there is interest in another buy??

kc
Yes, that's what got me interested in the CR Pro, but as I had already bought the MB 11 not too long before, I dithered , and by the time I made up my mind the offer had reduced from £246 to I think £200, still I'm happy with it. Mark raised the question about the differences between the MB V2 and the CR Pro ( aside from covering a greated range of vehicles) I dont really know, but for sure it does have much more capabilities than the MB11 version.

One of the differences at the time was that the CRpro could programme a new battery to the car, the MBII couldn't. I do not know if that has been rectified now with a software update

kc

My wife bought one after I'd apparently "gone on and on about it".
The comical thing is, it doesn't support the C118 :) I downloaded the latest version of the s/w but the machine doesn't connect when I manually pick the car, or when I use the automatic connection.
There's nothing there for the GLA, which I think is H247.
I've mailed iCarsoft asking if they'll be providing support.

I've no urgent use for it, but it seems such a useful bit of kit.

(I haven't excluded that I'm doing something wrong, but it seems pretty foolproof)

Attachments

• icar 2.jpg
    icar 2.jpg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 13
  • icar 1.jpg
    icar 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
I haven't tried it ( yet at any rate ) but I believe that it can trigger a regen, which was the main reason I bought it TBH. So far though, I've used it on Skoda's, Peugeot's, VW's and Audi's. All Family cars and of course my Merc. I find it more than capable for what I need. Attached is the most recent update version from11.01.2021 @19:39

Attachments

• iCarsoft MB CR PRO Upgrade V03.18.PNG
    iCarsoft MB CR PRO Upgrade V03.18.PNG
    236.8 KB · Views: 19
Mine came this morning and so far I’m really impressed for the money - we’ve got a V6 diesel Navara that had the engine management light on (turned out to be an O2 sensor) and it’s gone through the faults and cleared them no problem.

Very easy to use as well, straight out of the box and no instructions looked at..!

Well to start with, there's not much instructions to begin with, aside from the very basics on how to operate it. Plug it in, select vehicle, select scan mode, general all functions or selective mode, When scanning is finished, go through each report for stored faults and clear them . ( I usually take a pic on my phone ) Give it a drive then and rescan to see if any of the previous codes are still there. If so, then you can enter the code in the reader itself, and it will identify what it is.
Best of luck with it, and would be good if you posted your ongoing experience with it.

I bought the PRO through the forum bulk buy. It's very good but I was slightly miffed I had to tell it what car, engine etc. I have. My £40 cReader Chinese knock-off does all that for itself, even tells me the VIN.

They both identify my diesel as a 'spark ignition' though :dk:

Perhaps it's the presence of an ECU?

I have had the MB v2 since last year and it's a good starting point for the average mechanic to read and cleared faults. It does give you the option for a Regen bit not tried it yet on mine. I have used the electric handbrake reset a few times and that works great but you can't do much with the gearbox and that's why I also have Delphi to reset gearboxes with.

For the money I don't think you can go wrong but don't expect dealer software

I’m not expecting the same features as a £5k Snap On thing, I’m happy that I’ve bought something that has a straightforward interface and does more than the generic £100 jobbies on eBay.

Pound for pound I’m very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom