Which insurance company

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beege

Car
C200 Estate
Evening all, just wondering what insurance company people are with for their MB. I’ve always been with LV who have been great but this year they want £1200 to renew ; C200 AMG Line estate, I’m 27 years old with full licence for 10 years and no claims or convictions, 9 years NCB.

I don’t necessarily want the cheapest quote possible as I know some of the cheaper ones can be poor when it comes to making a claim, I just think £1200 seems a bit steep.

Regards
Beege.

Wow that does seem high, 3x my 23 year old daughter's premium on her SLK200 with 5 years NCB! She is with Diamond part of Admiral I believe.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I prefer big names myself, I'm with Aviva currently.

You only know how good your insurance is when you claim on it.

Have a look at firm's % pay out rates and try not to be one of the 5% decline cases.

Before I bought the CLS55 I had our daily driver with LV= for about £220. Added the AMG on their multicar for another £250. As an unsolicited bonus I get fully comp cover in Europe FOC. Need that because we are off to Germany in 4 weeks.
Insurance is a bitch. Sorted my buildings and contents yesterday. Admiral wanted to lift mine from £148 to £194 on renewal. After 30 mins on the phone we agreed £143. If I can make £100 per hour making phone calls, I'm happy.

Before I bought the CLS55 I had our daily driver with LV= for about £220. Added the AMG on their multicar for another £250. As an unsolicited bonus I get fully comp cover in Europe FOC. Need that because we are off to Germany in 4 weeks.
Insurance is a bitch. Sorted my buildings and contents yesterday. Admiral wanted to lift mine from £148 to £194 on renewal. After 30 mins on the phone we agreed £143. If I can make £100 per hour making phone calls, I'm happy.
That home insurance sounds way too cheap.

Sounds ok to me

Privilege wanted £1200 to insure the SL55. In the end I got a multi car policy for an X5, Jeep Wrangler and SL55 for £950! With Admiral.

Thanks everyone... having read reviews on Trustpilot I think I’ll stick to one of the big names.
Does anyone have any experience of Direct Line?

23, 3 years NCD, just paying over £1k on a C180. No black box. Its to do with your location most likely, my parents house has their own postcode so we tend to get cheaper quotes anyways

Im one for going with the cheapest insurance company - they're all pretty much in the same boat. Having said that, any incidents and we always use our own bodyshop and pay the extra £250 excess so we don't have many issues.

Its to do with your location most likely.............

Bingo.

Obviously age plays a part in the premium, along with experience and driving record, but location is king.
You live on a sink estate on Moss side Manchester, its going to cost you.
Live in sleepy Eastbourne and you pay less than half.

So many variables to say which company is best. Just keep shopping around using the comparison sites and others like Direct Line that don't appear there.
Always try and read a few reviews of the company before parting with the £££'s
Its only if you have to make a claim you really find out how good they are.

23, 3 years NCD, just paying over £1k on a C180. No black box. Its to do with your location most likely, my parents house has their own postcode so we tend to get cheaper quotes anyways

Im one for going with the cheapest insurance company - they're all pretty much in the same boat. Having said that, any incidents and we always use our own bodyshop and pay the extra £250 excess so we don't have many issues.
I think it does have a lot to do with where I live. I did also wonder if it’s got anything to do with the increasing number of keyless thefts of expensive cars these days.

I was with LV for years till last year....did the usual confused...meerkats etc and went with Aviva....so far so good....they are all very similar on price...you will only find out if they are really any good if you have the misfortune to make a claim

Where you live has the biggest effect on your car insurance unless you have been done for drink driving or dangerous driving,of course all our members have spotless records and so expect cheap insurance,I am not over concerned with the big names,I use a comparison site and chose the cover that suits me,I have used LV,Diamond ,Quickfit,and because I have never made a claim it means that I have no idea what will happen if I did make a claim,but being retired a car is not essential to conduct my life,it helps but my 10,000 or less a year is mostly pleasure driving.I think the op should try comparison sites and ring Direct Line to get quotes,I have always found Direct Line to be way to expensive.

Sounds ok to me
Sorry Abs, I missed this until now.

Price is the worst measure of how good a policy is, Admiral offer 3 levels of cover and under £150 will get you into their least comprehensive cover, thankfully most people rarely claim on their house insurance so the fact that they have poor cover is rarely recognised.

Buying expensive insurance cover adds up. If you've have 20 years claim free and paid £100 a year over the odds that's £2000 that could have been in your back pocket. There are so many things to insure these days that within reason I buy on price.

In shopping for insurance, what would be really helpful is a list of companies to avoid at any price. There was a thread recently that was very damning about a particular company but I forget the name. Lets say it was called sleazy insurance, why would the comparison sites deal with such a company. That begs the next question which is; do any of the comparison sites have higher standards than others.

Buying expensive insurance cover adds up. If you've have 20 years claim free and paid £100 a year over the odds that's £2000 that could have been in your back pocket. There are so many things to insure these days that within reason I buy on price.

In shopping for insurance, what would be really helpful is a list of companies to avoid at any price. There was a thread recently that was very damning about a particular company but I forget the name. Lets say it was called sleazy insurance, why would the comparison sites deal with such a company. That begs the next question which is; do any of the comparison sites have higher standards than others.
I'd recommend using a broker, their experience should be able to match a policy with your needs.

Evening all, just wondering what insurance company people are with for their MB. I’ve always been with LV who have been great but this year they want £1200 to renew ; C200 AMG Line estate, I’m 27 years old with full licence for 10 years and no claims or convictions, 9 years NCB.

I don’t necessarily want the cheapest quote possible as I know some of the cheaper ones can be poor when it comes to making a claim, I just think £1200 seems a bit steep.

Regards
Beege.
I found LV to be the worst for huge hikes in premiums at renewal . I suspect their retention rate is low.
I would simply go on all the price comparison sites and see what is on offer. One thing to remember is that most on these sites are just intermediaries and not the actual Underwriter.( It should be a requirement on these sites for the company to state exactly which Insurer they are quoting on behalf of.) I suspect you will easily be able to beat £1200.

I'd avoid Hastings as they are shocking (I have been following the story of two different bods at work, one who is with them and one who they are the third party for albeit third party at fault, and they are truly appalling).

I used to use Direct Line in my younger years as they were one of the few who would insure me on high group cars - they were OK although I don't recall making a claim with them.

I had to leave them though as when I got my first Merc modified, they told me they would not allow me to renew as they don't cover modified cars. Of course I've heard of multiple instances of them covering people with stated modifications so I wouldn't use them on principle now.

I was with Aviva once albeit a few years ago. I was sat outside my Saab inde of the day trying to add his loaner to my policy. 45 minutes on the phone later and just about done.

Been with Admiral for many years now. They've always come out the best in terms of price, bar the weird companies you've never heard of in price comparisons, and I know from a claim last year (when another car decided to re-arranged my wheelarch whilst exiting a roundabout), they were top notch from start to finish. They even sent me a text to tell me the final claim was settled. A first in 25 years of car insurance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom