Which insurance company

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd avoid Hastings as they are shocking (I have been following the story of two different bods at work, one who is with them and one who they are the third party for albeit third party at fault, and they are truly appalling).

I used to use Direct Line in my younger years as they were one of the few who would insure me on high group cars - they were OK although I don't recall making a claim with them.

I had to leave them though as when I got my first Merc modified, they told me they would not allow me to renew as they don't cover modified cars. Of course I've heard of multiple instances of them covering people with stated modifications so I wouldn't use them on principle now.

I was with Aviva once albeit a few years ago. I was sat outside my Saab inde of the day trying to add his loaner to my policy. 45 minutes on the phone later and just about done.

Been with Admiral for many years now. They've always come out the best in terms of price, bar the weird companies you've never heard of in price comparisons, and I know from a claim last year (when another car decided to re-arranged my wheelarch whilst exiting a roundabout), they were top notch from start to finish. They even sent me a text to tell me the final claim was settled. A first in 25 years of car insurance.

Never used direct line, they always come out double or can't provide a quote. Admiral have been good to me - covered my first car at 20 years old for £700 and i subsequently stayed with them for 3 years as their price was unbeatable. Had parents cars with them too and had to make a claim which was sorted very quickly to be honest - as long as you dont use their Auxilis service! lol

Never used direct line, they always come out double or can't provide a quote. Admiral have been good to me - covered my first car at 20 years old for £700 and i subsequently stayed with them for 3 years as their price was unbeatable. Had parents cars with them too and had to make a claim which was sorted very quickly to be honest - as long as you dont use their Auxilis service! lol

Never had of that before. Will bear that in mind!

I found LV to be the worst for huge hikes in premiums at renewal . I suspect their retention rate is low.
I would simply go on all the price comparison sites and see what is on offer. One thing to remember is that most on these sites are just intermediaries and not the actual Underwriter.( It should be a requirement on these sites for the company to state exactly which Insurer they are quoting on behalf of.) I suspect you will easily be able to beat £1200.
That’s interesting as until now I’ve never really had any price rises with LV, it’s always reduced every year.

I’ve been on comparison sites and I can easily get it for less than £1200, I’m just a bit dubious about going with one of the smaller names, particularly the ones I’ve never heard of which appear to be online only.

Thanks for all the replies so far, it’s really helpful to know what companies people have had good/bad experiences with rather than just reading online reviews.

Try Aviva plus pretty safe with them and they are quoting low currently to build their portfolio.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Initially I went for the Mercedes Insurance (more expensive) but I was doing everything at Mercedes.
Having been insured in the last 12 years in Austria, Germany and Portugal, I presented those for my no-claims bonus.

A few months later I was informed by a colleague at work to double-check my insurance because they do not accept my EU no claims.
I contacted Mercedes Insurance and was told that same... and re-quoted for an extra 500£!
I was very unhappy and cancelled my policy immediately.

Currently I'm on Aviva, they also don't accept my EU no-claims, but much cheaper.
(... and it seems Mercedes Insurance uses Aviva anyway)

Aviva have always been cheapest for me, customer service is always prompt and based in the UK.
Same here.

I started using Aviva 10 years ago and so far had no reason to move away from them.

I'm with AXA, part of Prudential I think;
but the renewals are dealt with through my broker who keeps the price pretty fair.

Two claims, neither my fault; both were dealt with very well - after a little 'encouragement', direct with the body shops as to what I wanted done - all was paid without question.

I'm with AXA, part of Prudential I think;
but the renewals are dealt with through my broker who keeps the price pretty fair.

Two claims, neither my fault; both were dealt with very well - after a little 'encouragement', direct with the body shops as to what I wanted done - all was paid without question.

Presumably the no-fault claims were dealt with by the other party's insurer - i.e. not AXA? Unless the other party was also insured by AXA?

With Direct Line myself, came out much lower price than anything on the comparison sites. Also, put a named driver on your policy, it will lower your premium.

. Also, put a named driver on your policy, it will lower your premium.

Very true.....unless the named driver is 17 year old Kevin with a list of accidents and convictions that would make you consider him a risk on a pushbike;)

My wife is named driver on my car although I doubt she will ever sit behind the wheel. She says the speed is frightening:D. I just say you don't have to use it all.

Presumably the no-fault claims were dealt with by the other party's insurer - i.e. not AXA? Unless the other party was also insured by AXA?

Possibly, I really don't know, I pay my broker for that and (as long as I present them solid info: images/statements/Acceptance of fault/blame etc),
they seem to be happy to use said 'evidence' to ensure I get all I ask for.

As soon as I know which body shop proposed, I contact them and either reject them if not 'helpful', or manage a few 'extras', like a wheel/s refurbished, new screens, grill, decals and similar.

Possibly, I really don't know, I pay my broker for that and (as long as I present them solid info: images/statements/Acceptance of fault/blame etc),
they seem to be happy to use said 'evidence' to ensure I get all I ask for.

As soon as I know which body shop proposed, I contact them and either reject them if not 'helpful', or manage a few 'extras', like a wheel/s refurbished, new screens, grill, decals and similar.

That's fine.

Just to say that you (or your broker) would not normally need to involve your own insurer when making a no-fault cliam, other than notifying them of the event.

The exception is when the other driver does not admit liability, and you do not want to wait with the repairs until liability has been settled. In that case you claim off your own policy while incurring the excess etc, then once the other party has finally accepted liability your insurer will recover the costs off the other party's insurer.

(Another option is to engage your own insurer in the capacity of an accident management firm, without actually making a claim off your own policy).

Looking at what Aviva offers in terms of mobile phone cover and car cover, I suspect they are one of the worse companies to insure anything with. I am with admiral and they are indeed very cheap. I wasnt able to prove my NCB and Admiral were the cheapest and most understanding to the situation as i was never involved in any car accidents.

Looking at what Aviva offers in terms of mobile phone cover and car cover, I suspect they are one of the worse companies to insure anything with...

How's that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom