which is best fuel clip or worm drive clip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmfkf

Car
E 320 cdi estate
Hi,
what are the views regarding using a Fuel pipe clip against a Worm drive clip (jubilee ;))

reason being I found a diesel fuel leak from one of the pipes on the fuel filter (320CDi) :mad: I popped the original clip off
also found another old clip on top of the manifold under the filter :mad: :mad:
cut about 10mm of the old fuel pipe off and replaced with a new Worm drive clip
Fuel leak cured but just wondering if its worth getting a New fuel clip or not :dk:

any thoughts

:thumb:

If you are talking about the double ear crimp type clips or the double wire spring type they are used cos they are cheap or where location access is difficult. Jubilee type clips come in many different guises, are more expensive, but possibly superior in action . If you have cured the fuel leak its fine.

If you're happy with the worm drive clip and it's not leaking i'd leave it be.

While one of the main benefits of oetiker clamps or clic-r hose clamps to car manufacturers might be speed they are waaaaaaaaaay superior to worm drive clips IMO and provide a much more even clamping action. Especially compared to cheapnese tat... perforated worm drive clips with razor sharp edges etc. Good quality/genuine Jubilee clips are better but still don't clamp evenly and due to the way they work can be under or overtightened easily although the later is more common when trying to stop things leaking if/when the hose is a bit of a sloppy fit. This style of fuel hose clamp
31VWQ4G1pwL.jpg
is usually better than regular worm drive with regards to cutting into the hose but still tend to clamp unevenly compared to the style that most OEMs use these days... the double wire or flat wire spring type are, as said, cheap nasty things but i didn't think anyone ever used them on fuel systems? Used to see 'em sometimes on coolant hoses, breather hoses and the like but that was about it?

Hotrodder above has told you the best type to use,, they close up nice on the hose Pay a bit more and have the stainless steel type ..Worm clips dont close evenly and can damage the rubber pipe

Hi,
thanks for the replys

It was the "clic-R" type clip that Hotrodder had indicated :thumb:

The worm drive clip is a decent quality one
so I will add a new clip to my shopping list but will not be in a rush to swap it, but change it as a general maintenance point in the near future

:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom