Which is more reliable m156 or m157

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

badgx

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes e55
Hi, it might be a silly question but I'm looking at an e63 w212. It needs to be reliable. Torn between the m156 and m157 and hearing slot of scary head bolt issues and other stuff with the M156. Which one shall I go for, the price gap between the models seems to jump.

I do like the facelift looks though.

Buy one you like. Headbolt issue is apparently on early build models. There are numbers knocking about. Check out the forum you will gather loads of information. There are posts running in this section debating the exact content.

Haven't seen or heard of a headbolt failure to date so it's very hyped in my opinion.

As said read up in this section you will get the best of both write ups on the both models.

I'm a M156 dude :D.

Watch out for the M157 clan they are very persuasive and think the 157 is better :confused::confused:. I dont!!!:D:D

You can be unlucky with either. If you don’t have a preference based upon character, then buy the one which has the lowest mileage and bst service history within your budget, regardless of which engine it has. Both are cracking engines.

The M156 is normally aspirated, the M157 twin turbo. The M156 was designed in house by AMG the M157 is a tuned version of an MB engine. I imagine the M157 is better on emissions which tho cleaner may imply more ancilliaries to go wrong in the longer term.:dk:

I understand the M157 is turning out to be perhaps not as bulletproof as first thought either.

Get an M100, all the others are just pretenders.

Test drive both variants and decide for yourself. If you want the facelift it will be an M157 unless you get the facelift grill but that doesn't work in my eyes.
There are fanboys of both engines, so you'll find it hard to get an unbiased opinion IMHO;)

Test drive both variants and decide for yourself. If you want the facelift it will be an M157 unless you get the facelift grill but that doesn't work in my eyes.
There are fanboys of both engines, so you'll find it hard to get an unbiased opinion IMHO;)

True. I’d like to think i’m quite unbiased though.

A very rare occurrence :(

It probably is; mine was one of the highest-mileage M157s around.

The M156 is biased more towards top-end power, the M157 low-end torque. I know one individual who has had (and still has) lots of high-performance cars, who found the M156 rather underwhelming, and loves the M157. Neither engine will disappoint in the real world, though.

It probably is; mine was one of the highest-mileage M157s around.

The M156 is biased more towards top-end power, the M157 low-end torque. I know one individual who has had (and still has) lots of high-performance cars, who found the M156 rather underwhelming, and loves the M157. Neither engine will disappoint in the real world, though.

Underwhelming to very little I would say in the real world. I bet he wished the M157 had the 156 exhaust note :D :banana:

Underwhelming to very little I would say in the real world. I bet he wished the M157 had the 156 exhaust note :D :banana:
It sounds as good if modified correctly.

Both decent engines, but both have mechanical risks which are well documented on the forum and in turn through awareness, makes buying either perfectly fine.

It sounds as good if modified correctly.

If modified possibly. Stock the M156 all day :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom