Which is more reliable m156 or m157

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What’s the alternative?
A C0CK?

Whatever you want it to be 🤷

There are alot of hens around here so a few cocks wouldn't go a mis 🤣🤣

Some of us might think there are a few too many cocks on here already...

Reading up on the US forums. Issues with the M157 unit seem to keep arising at a rather alarming rate.

We know the M156 has its issues. I have had my own cam adjusters replaced, with the uprated kit from 63 Motorsport. Back in March. Was hearing the metallic knocking noise on start up lasting 2/3 seconds. All good and back to normal and no abnormal noise's on start up.

Like has been said during the entire thread. Both engines have issues that may occur in a owners past and present ownership.

Apart from normal wear and tear parts my M156 has been a pleasure to own and drive. LMIC

Definitely more issues showing up with the M157 engine, rather costly ones also.

What often gets forgotten is that AMGs are very high performance engines which get used and abused like every day cars, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that issues emerge. More cars, more miles more problems.

Both the M156 and M157 are corkers.

What often goes under the radar is at the low mileage these problems show themselves. And are becoming more apparent especially on the more modern engine of the two in question.

The M156 gets so much unfair criticism, where other supposedly more bullet proof engines do not. Which is definitely not the case with the issues that are arising.

Long live the mighty 156 😉

In this case "mighty" = "outdated", though...

🏅🥇

Outdated. Remind us, how long ago was that? Twelve years, was it? The rest of the world has moved on; M156 owners, maybe not... :D

Why move on from such a good thing if it ticks all the boxes one requires. That would be very foolish. Old/outdated tech however you want to address the 156.

You have experienced first hand what the not so bullet proof 157 can throw 😭

Have owe my car just over a year now and got to know my way round the engine. Love the classic lines and the awesome engine and great soundtrack of the M156.

Most of my colleagues in the same age group as me seem to look at new cars. But I look at cars that I grew up with, mainly 90s, 2000s. Have no idea why but just love them.

Just came back from a car meet, love these old skool. Enjoy them while we can 👍

20220910_132539.jpg20220910_132714.jpg20220910_132514.jpg20220910_132108.jpg20220910_132043.jpg20220910_150811.jpg20220910_134420.jpg20220910_134336.jpg20220910_134304.jpg20220910_134230.jpg

Old skool with some new skool kit installed on them. Some belters in there 👍

Why move on from such a good thing if it ticks all the boxes one requires. That would be very foolish.
Where do you draw the line? M113/K owners could say the same, as could the owners of every generation of engine going back to the first. You mention reliability and faults, by that measure, the M113/K would almost certainly be “better” than the M156.

An exception will prove the rule, however objectively speaking newer engines will almost always be technically better than those which went before. Subjectively, better will come down to personal taste, and everyone’s taste is different.

As cars to be used every day, each generation of AMG engine (and platform) is objectively better than the one before in almost every dimension. Whether you enjoy it more will be down to personal Al taste.

Sound is subjective however most would argue that AMGs sounded better before 2019, but even then, as an every day car - which is the way that most new AMG la are used - then you could argue that interesting but quieter is no bad thing.

Where do you draw the line? M113/K owners could say the same, as could the owners of every generation of engine going back to the first. You mention reliability and faults, by that measure, the M113/K would almost certainly be “better” than the M156.

It is. Someone who owned both has given a very good review of both and the M113K came out on top.
Never mind the M156 won engine awards, that was years ago.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

But this is about the M156 v M157 reliability, not 156 v 113k
Both M156 and M157 engines have flaws, neither are perfect but both brilliant engines in their own way.
Highlighting recent M157 problems yet ignoring continuing M156 issues isn't a balanced view, just an M156 fanboy having a pop as usual. Nothing new.
I miss my M157 and if I had more use for the car, I'd still have it.

They're very different engines, delivering their power in different ways. MB went back to forced induction after the M156, so it would seem the M157 was better suited to the market Mercedes saw as their mainstream. Plus, of course, development and tuning potential remains much greater with forced induction. The M156, good though it was in its day, was a blind alley for MB.

I'd be quite content if my CLS SB had an M113K, but less so if it had an M156; a loud exhaust, relatively modest low-end torque and high-revving power are not my thing, except perhaps in a two-seater fun car. Horses for courses.

Last edited:
🤣 I have run both the 113k and the 156 7 years of split ownership. Not that this thread is about the 113k. E class armour. And it's near impossible to give an outright winner. I have never gone on what (others) say about a particular car/ engine. I make my own observations.

With my own findings the 113k wasn't as trouble free as I was lead to believe. My 156 has been less trouble than that of the 113k.

But back to the thread topic.. ....

The less criticised 157 doesn't seem to get the negative feedback the 156 undeservedly gets.

The Fanboys will always back there corner 😉 the same can't be said for the old boys!! 😉🤣 Had to let the so called masterpiece go!!!!

I've had six M113s, both n/a and blown, all on over 100K miles, and never had a problem with any of them. I think you were unlucky. On the other hand, with a high-mileage high performance car with lots of owners, even with an impeccable MD service history you have no way of knowing whether one or more of the previous owners was a knob with the mechanical sympathy of a gorilla who thrashed it unmercifully, even from cold, so maybe I've just been lucky.

The problem with my first M157 was the intercooler coolant pump, incidentally, and when it goes in for service I'll get Terry Gates to fit a new one, just in case.

Last edited:
With my own findings the 113k wasn't as trouble free as I was lead to believe. My 156 has been less trouble than that of the 113k.
That’s luck of the draw and/or past maintenance. Even with common problems, not every car will be affected.

The less criticised 157 doesn't seem to get the negative feedback the 156 undeservedly gets.
I think you are particularly tuned into the criticism of the M156. If it wanna for you mentioning it regularly then I wouldn’t think twice about it. Ironically you’ll be single handedly taking M156 problems further up the Google rankings!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom