Which is the best colour for a Benz?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Munkee

Hi, my brother is getting his W124 saloon resprayed next week. The existing colour (which is the original factory paint) is dark grey or graphite grey.

Should he get it resprayed the same colour or something similar? He is seriously thinking about black, but which black colour in particular is the best, and what's the difference between these black colours? :confused:

Please nobody recommend blue as he absolutely hates it, even though midnight blue is the best Benz colour ever! (Don't tell him I said that!) :D

*EDIT*

What is 'reglazing'? He might not even get it resprayed if this process can bring back the shine and remove the mass amount of swirls! If it works well then I might even have the same done to my Benz.

Last edited:
I wouldnt change the colour as to do so properly involves doing inside the engine bay and other not easy to get to places.

I'd keep it the dark grey, mebbe go a shade or two darker (you can get away with this) but I would definately lose the two tone and colourmatch the lower panels.

Last edited:
pity he doesn't like blue...

i think the best colour for a benz is #359 Tansanitblau! :D but if that is not an option, then sapphire black would be nice.
but then to change the color would involve a lot of work (and cash) better just to stick to grey, darker or otherwise. and get the grille insert painted black if it hasn't already been. :rock:

I agree with Sp!ke here, you have to take out everything to change the color and have it look original, inc engine :crazy:

brilliant silver

Munkee said:
What is 'reglazing'? He might not even get it resprayed if this process can bring back the shine and remove the mass amount of swirls! If it works well then I might even have the same done to my Benz.

If the problem with the paintwork is swirls then a respray is madness.

The paint is undamaged, only the laquer coat has swirls. All this car needs is a polish with an electric buffer using polish and glaze. The glaze hides swirl marks.
After this refinish with a good wax coat applied sparingly.

A trip to a good refinisher should do the trick.

thanks 4 the advice dieselman, but will this reglaze provide a permanant fix or will my brother have to keep on mainatining it with wax, polish etc. ?

best Benz colour

:bannana: :rock: The best colour is midnight blue which is on my 1997 C180 Classic. This is a good day colour, but not that good at night. Due to the dark colour, you see all the polished paintwork, chrome parts like the front grille, the alloy rims and other chrome stuff. At night all you see of the car are the lights! My 1994 C180 Elegance is Beryl metallic and its a beaut night colour, shows all the outlines and has a nice night sheen also. In the day time it is not so attractive due to the half blue half green colour unless you get a very bright sunshine on it.Then it really glows like it is emitting light. My 2cents . :eek: :crazy:

Azurite Blue, looks purple in some light, blue in others :)

A respray will never look original, you will have problems selling it unless its an extrmemly good/expensive job he's having done. You'd be better off using good polish and buff the marks out. Then a diamondbrite type treatment will make it last...

What exactly is 'reglazing'? Does anyone know, and exactly how the process is carried out?

Will it be a permanant solution to remove the swirls or will my brother have to keep on maintaining it with extra care? (Rediculous amounts of polsih/wax and very regularly??!).

Once the car has been reglazed, then will it leave the painwork looking brand new and original or will it look odd in anyway? (Smears, streaks etc.???)

Please HELP!! It will be very appreciated.

I personally think the best colour for a 124 is metallic blue-black. But then, I do drive a metallic blue-black 124, so I could be biased here..... ;)

Could you post in a pic Dave, of your metallic blue black Merc please, so my bro can use it as one of his options if he likes it.

Here we go. Taken in S.France this Easter. In the er, flesh, it looks a bit blacker. Depends on the light.

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 107
Lovely, she's a beauty! I like the colour, let's wait and see if my brother likes it!?

The condition of the paint work is great, no swirls. Is it the original paint? How do you keep it looking so good?

I agree Blue /Black Metallic is smart, I have a few pics on the gallery of my car in this great colour.

It's the original paint. I've had the car since last November, it's had three owners, full MB history. It's a 16-valve 2-litre. I just wash it by hand about twice a month, and polish it every now and then with the cheap Zymol they sell at Halfords. So far, I'm very pleased with it. The engine's a bit thrashy when pulling, but smooth at cruising speed. Economy is better than I expected, and comfort, especially on long journeys, is second to none. I love the build quality, reminds me of my old Scania 113! Probably the best car I've owned in 35 years. :)

Best colours for a Mercedes in my opinion is Silver (classic German colour)... also goes well with Audis and VWs

or that dark blue.

Black seems to be the new 'in' colour now, so loved by the Japanese mafia with darkened windows :D
http://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/pc/gfx/home/main/cclass_range.jpg

LOVELY!

In summary... silver, dark blue and black (but black is very difficult to keep clean, dust is very obvious) silver hides the dirt well and is my preferred colour over the three.

Black is definitely difficult to keep clean , I wash my car every week !
Silver looks modern and is a good W124 colour as it makes it look very up to date.
At risk of upsetting some, red and cream are not great. Almandine red looks good when well polished but can look a bit " pink " in certain light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom