Which locking pliers do people recommend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's why they lasted 55 years ...you never used them because they didn't show you how during your apprenticeship ! :D
I thought they were adjustable spanners for most of that time.

These 10" Irwin locking pliers are the 'big pair' that I'm going for. As said, now the owner of the original Vise-Grip brand 👍

Good price at the moment on Amazon
You will find they will be too big for a lot of stuff, i would recommend 7’ ones, at work thats the ones i use 95% of the time the other 5% i use the small long nose ones, obviously when im needing to use vice grips

You will find they will be too big for a lot of stuff, i would recommend 7’ ones, at work thats the ones i use 95% of the time the other 5% i use the small long nose ones, obviously when im needing to use vice grips
I do a lot of house DIY renovation at the moment, and the big pliers are used regularly for that. The 7" long nose Stanley locking pliers are currently £9.99 at Screwfix, so that will be another pair. I can have a go and lock/feel the quality of those two, and decide what brand I'll get, or if I want to try a different brand.

Surely the only brand for pliers etc is knipex

What’s the score with a ‘deleted member’ making posts??
Well, it was Ashlee86 at the time of posting, but since yesterday their account has been deleted. I guess it will either be for significant Forum rule breach and therefore banning, or at the request of the forum member who wanted their account deleted, which happens from time to time.

Well, what a stroke of luck. I was setting about ordering some this evening.
Amazon flash sale, I've ended up with the following Irwin 3 pliers set:

£29.26, normally £40, but same reduction on FFX. Amazon probably price matching. Cheapest they've been since 2015.
Yes please 👍

I thought they were adjustable spanners for most of that time.
Like that really thin adjustable spanner I was given, you know , the one with the measurements etched on it. Rubbish at tightening bolts but I believe some of the brainier 'appies worked out you could measure stuff with it.

I couldn't handle such witchcraft so became an electrician instead.

Like that really thin adjustable spanner I was given, you know , the one with the measurements etched on it. Rubbish at tightening bolts but I believe some of the brainier 'appies worked out you could measure stuff with it.

I couldn't handle such witchcraft so became an electrician instead.
Yeh, similar to those small ‘c’ clamps I used to use, you know, the ones with the very fine adjustment (0 to 1”) (1” to 2”) etc, and the little clicky thing on the end.
I had the choice of lechy or mechy, colour blindness helped with the decision, oh, and also not understanding all the fuss about two wires!

I got the Irwin 3 pliers set delivered today.

On 2 of the pliers, there is slight lateral play in the head (the moving jaw), meaning the tip of the jaws can be positioned whilst closing the pliers anywhere between 3mm left or right of the central position for the fixed jaw. The third pair is rock solid.

Not the end of the world and for less than a tenner a pair I can live with it.

What is noticeable is when closing and locking the pliers, they snap/click locked very obviously and securely, and I'm sure will be capable of a much tighter grip than the junk I have already 👍

Which locking pliers do people recommend?

50 replies since last Thursday... wow. Only on MB Club :D

(I may have read all of them... 😊 )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom