Which lowering kit should I buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noogieman

MB Enthusiast
Car
I Loewe Old Skool AMG
As recommendations from US C43 owners I've decided to buy a Vogtland lowering suspension kit.
However I found one kit fitting US version C43 AMG and another kit fitting CLK430.
Both kits are sold in USA for both C43 and CLK430, but they are not sold in europe for these cars.
Why is that?

My car weights 1635 kg according to registration documents, since then I've added an electric rear roller blind, underbody coating, illuminated doorsills, a US luxury style cd-changer metal case.
I believe this has added a meere 65 kg?
Is it possible these springs will sag because I have a heavier car than a US version of C43?

Both lowers 35 mm.

Kit #952014 for CLK430 handles:
Front 1010 kg
Rear 1070 kg
Vogtland lowering Springs 97 02 Mercedes CLK C320 430 6 8 Cyl Type W208 EXC | eBay

Kit #952079 for C43 AMG handles:
Front 970 kg
Rear 1150 kg
Vogtland lowering Springs 96 00 Mercedes C Class C280 C43 6 8 Cyl Type W202 | eBay

Which kit should I buy?
Is it CLK springs that handles more weight upfront or should I buy spring kit fitting C43 that handle more weight on rear axle?
Can anyone tell me how much a fully loaded CLK 430 weights in kg?

I found cheap kits on german Ebay.

Last edited:
Vogtland are German I think.
Got a set for my w140 while back from ebay.de very good

Vogtland are German I think.
Got a set for my w140 while back from ebay.de very good

Jawohl, Deutschland über alles when it comes to MB cars and springs.

Did you experiance any sagging from these Voggies since your car is a 2 tonner car?

How is the ride quality, bumpy suspension?
Did you lose MB ride quality?
Did they reduce body roll?

Is it true that if I use stock AMG/Bilstein shox they will wear out faster with aftermarket lowering springs?
I believe lowering spring are 1 to 1½ coil shorter than stock AMG springs?
Is this going to be problematic to stock shox for premature wear 'n' tear issues?

Last edited:
Both kits are sold in USA for both C43 and CLK430, but they are not sold in europe for these cars.

Why is that?

Which kit should I buy?

Have you checked if the springs from Vogtland are TUV approved????????

I dont think they are

Get a kit that has been TUV approved to work with the C43 AMG

Most Aftermarket lowering springs have been designed to work with OEM shocks. H&R lowering springs (Still the best IMO) are probably the stiffest of all aftermarket springs and the increase is about 8-10% compared to the OEM springs.

mazza

I would say go for the H&R route, the ride quality is hardly effected and you can raise or lower ample amounts using the correct spring pad thickness.

I would say change the shocks also and try and get a new set of bilstiens, it will ride lovely!

Have you checked if the springs from Vogtland are TUV approved????????

I dont think they are

Get a kit that has been TUV approved to work with the C43 AMG

Most Aftermarket lowering springs have been designed to work with OEM shocks. H&R lowering springs (Still the best IMO) are probably the stiffest of all aftermarket springs and the increase is about 8-10% compared to the OEM springs.

mazza

these vogtlands are TÜV approved for MB, there shouldn't be any problems.

I would say go for the H&R route, the ride quality is hardly effected and you can raise or lower ample amounts using the correct spring pad thickness.

I would say change the shocks also and try and get a new set of bilstiens, it will ride lovely!

Not many seems to like H&R springs, many seems to complaint about ridequality on US forum.
MB ridequality will somehow be negatively affected using H&R?
Don't know what to believe?

Vogtland lowers 35mm.
I want a 1 - 1½ finger space.
My stock springpads are #1= 5mm thick all 4 of them.
With Vogtland springs might be to low and rub?

Not many seems to like H&R springs, many seems to complaint about ridequality on US forum.
MB ridequality will somehow be negatively affected using H&R?
Don't know what to believe?

That's because most Yanks are Pussies and think any car that is stiffer than a Marshmellow is somehow crap! :p

They like their cars to handle like a Pig on a Cake Trolley! :rolleyes:

H&R gear is excellent, I have their Coilovers on my car and TBH I'd go stiffer if I could which would be the Bilstein B12/14 gear. :thumb:

On the plus side the H&R kit is better suited to keeping my 19" rims from damage on the UK's shyte highways! :(

That's because most Yanks are Pussies and think any car that is stiffer than a Marshmellow is somehow crap! :p

H&R gear is excellent, I have their Coilovers on my car and TBH I'd go stiffer if I could which would be the Bilstein B12/14 gear. :thumb:

On the plus side the H&R kit is better suited to keeping my 19" rims from damage on the UK's shyte highways! :(

LOL!!

I was going to be slightly more diplomatic with my answer...but yeah!!! what the man said!!!

Have you checked with Vogtland.de if they actually make springs for the c43??? with TUV

Mazza

is a stamp with tuv logo legit in the US?
If yes, then Vogtland 952079 is ok for US C43.
i guess it's not tüv approved for c43 in europe?
as I said in my starter thread this kit is not available for C43 in europe.

a buddy of mine whom deals with brabus tuning parts did not recommend H&R for MB, he said these springs are rubbish and should be avoided.
therefore i got stuck with vogtland in my mind

i checked on vogtland pdf site
you can see for w202 up to 970 kg springs and for clk208 up to 6 cylinder cars
it's in german though
http://www.vogtland.com/en/certificates.php?sCarId=Mercedes+Benz&sProCat=Sportfahrwerk

Last edited:

Bahahahahahahahah !!!

One for my archives , brilliant !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom