Which Michelins?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crockers

MB Enthusiast
Car
XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
Today - car passed its MOT but advisory on fronts - so I want to replace them before I go into hospital as I will be laid up for 6-10 weeks afterwards and don't want Mrs C driving a car with iffy tyres.

I currently have Michelin Primacy HPs on the rear - so when I looked at Michelins for the front have been offered two different types. Same as the rears with a load rating of 94 or Pilot Sports with a load rating of 91.

Should I stick with Primacy HPs of go for the Pilot SPorts?

Pilot .............good for wet or dry, not cheap but good for the miles.

regards Karl

I have original Primacy on front (due to change any time soon) and Pilots on rear. Pilots for replacement for sure.

I would venture the opposite--- the Primacy will be the harder wearing quieter tyre whereas the Pilot will have a better "performance profile" but may be slightly noisier and have a softer rubber compound giving better wet grip but lower miles. There wouldn't be much in it to be honest. You cant go wrong sticking with Michelin or Continental on a Mercedes saloon imho but to employ the BBC's phrase "other tyre manufacturers are available";)

Last edited:
I second grober's advice for the same reason. Also...

If you're running mismatched tyres front to rear then it's general practice to put the grippier ones on the rear rather than the front because understeer is easier to control than oversteer.

I second grober's advice for the same reason. Also...

If you're running mismatched tyres front to rear then it's general practice to put the grippier ones on the rear rather than the front because understeer is easier to control than oversteer.

Staggered setup doesn't allow that

Staggered setup doesn't allow that
Yup, I understand that, so as there's not an option to shift your rear Mich HP's onto the front axle, the solution I was/am suggesting is to put another pair of Mich HP's on the front to match the HP's on the rear, rather than putting new Pilot Sports on the front which would be grippier than the HP's on the rear.

I've run both the Primacy and the Sport flavours and have to say the Sport has incredible grip both dry and wet. Supreme confidence :)
The Primacy is very good but not in the same league as the Sport grip-wise. But as you might expect it does last a little longer. Difficult to say if it's the compound or just the fact one can push the Sport harder.
The Primacy is a quieter ride though.

I would go for the Sport :D

P.S. I ran the Sport during the heavy snow last winter, no problem at all...

Do the 94 and 91 load ratings really matter or are too close together ?

The load rating of a tyre is a numerical indication of the maximum load that a tyre can carry at the speed indicated by its speed symbol and at a given inflation pressure but only up to 130mph no matter what the final speed rating of the tyre is. Above this 130mph threshold the tyre may de-rated as to its load characteristics.

91 is 615 kg so 615x4=2460kg total up to 130mph

94 is 670kg so 670x4=2680kg total up to 130mph

I'm not sure what your cars unladen/kerb weight is?

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html#loads

Last edited:
Just got 2 pilot sports with nitrogen filling - £230 the pair...I think that's a good result.

Kwik Fit wanted £280 originally but I got them down to £230 so quite pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom