Which ML, 55 , 63, or 5.5TT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Fixit

Car
2012 SLK55 AMG
OK, so I have a hankering for and ML with E55 performance so which ML is the one!

ML55 seems to have the strongest motor but its a bit dated. Does the Ml63NA suffer from engine issues as seem in the other 63's or is it worth splashing out for the newer 63 with the turbo engine

Discuss

If budget doesn’t determine the answer then I would suggest having a test drive in the W164 6.2 N/A and W166 55 biturbo.

The W163 5.5 N/A is a good car, and good value, but is lacking in terms of dynamics and refinement, so good as an occasional car, but not ideal if you’ll be using it regularly.

The W164 6.2 N/A is a superb car, and outrageous value, and it’s well up to the job of regular use. Early models do have engine issues but they’re not common - they’re just well broadcast on the Internet.

The W166 5.5 is a superb car in all respects.

Best to have a go.

If you're looking for E55K-type performance, you'll want a W164 ML63 as a minimum; the W163 ML55 is slower than the W164 420 diesel.

I've just bought a W164 420 - an SE, not the lower-spec Sport - and I still have a W163 ML500. The 420 SE has Airmatic, and the difference in ride is dramatic (as indeed is the performance) after the steel-sprung W163. The W166 5.5 will be much faster again, though still not quite as quick as an E55K.

Only one of those engines won multiple engine of the year awards - 6.3.

And guess which engine he has... All have their fans.

M113 - Bombproof. Pretty quiet exhaust as standard.

M156 - Not bombproof. Slower than E55K off the line in its earlier incarnations. Makes a lovely noise.

M157 - Not bombproof. Quicker and more economical than either of the others. Makes a fairly lovely noise.

It largely depends on how much you are willing to spend and what is on the market. OP, over to you.

And guess which engine he has... All have their fans.

M113 - Bombproof. Pretty quiet exhaust as standard.

M156 - Not bombproof. Slower than E55K off the line in its earlier incarnations. Makes a lovely noise.

M157 - Not bombproof. Quicker and more economical than either of the others. Makes a fairly lovely noise.

It largely depends on how much you are willing to spend and what is on the market. OP, over to you.
An excellent summary.

Actually, the M113 is only 99.99% percent bombproof. I was talking to Olly at PCS recently, and he told me they'd had an M113 in which had thrown a rod. :eek: It was a first for him, though, too.

Actually, the M113 is only 99.99% percent bombproof. I was talking to Olly at PCS recently, and he told me they'd had an M113 in which had thrown a rod. :eek: It was a first for him, though, too.
Given the typical age of these now, maybe a very occasional issue is to be expected - not all of them will have been well looked after. Still, first time I’ve ever read of an M113 breaking. There was one on YouTube at 450,000 miles!

How come you don't recognise three other Mercedes peformance engines have won awards?
The M113K won the award in 2003
The M275 won in 2004.
The M133 won in 2014
International Engine of the Year - Wikipedia

You appear to be unable to admit Mercedes have made better engines both before and after the M156, which is a one trick pony that has suffered more engine problems than either the M113K or the M157 put together and needs a 5 figure sum spent supercharging it to squeeze out a lot more power. But it sounds nice so that is OK;)
Denis post #6 nailed it, and he has owned them all.

Yes I’d be up for that and would guarantee the M157 would walk it.....:D
Modified, without a doubt!

On same (or similar) platform, in standard tune, I think M156 and M157 would be much closer than many would expect.

Starting from standstill, and over say 1/8th of a mile, I think it would still be a close result, but maybe in favour of the M156!

Before I recently remapped my M157, I could already tell it was consiiderably quicker off the line than my stock M113K.
The 0-60 times don't really prove a great deal and are mainly pub bragging rights.
Depending on the take off, any of the 3 stock cars could win a drag strip run IMO.

Edit.... 1/8th of a mile Bobby. We would still be in 2nd gear:D

It really would be great to put the argument to bed once and for all though. If we did have a drag race we should plan it properly, to settle as many arguments as possible.

Ideally it should be a two step process:
1 on the dyno,
2 on the dragstrip
and ideally on the same weekend.

We would need people to be honest about modifications though, or else it would spoil it for everyone else. Modified versus modified and standard versus standard.

Maybe we need a separate thread if enough people are really up for it.

It really would be great to put the argument to bed once and for all though. If we did have a drag race we should plan it properly, to settle as many arguments as possible.

Ideally it should be a two step process:
1 on the dyno,
2 on the dragstrip
and ideally on the same weekend.

We would need people to be honest about modifications though, or else it would spoil it for everyone else. Modified versus modified and standard versus standard.

Maybe we need a separate thread if enough people are really up for it.

It would need a proper run though. None of this 1/8th mile malarkey:D
A 2 mile strip with plenty of braking time.
Jules would be knocking on the door of 200mph

I'd only take part in a drag race if I could swap my 4" stiletto-heeled red leather thigh boots for trainers...

And you got to throw in a sound off competition also. Come on the 157 is of newer technology, so it really should be quicker. But where did they
Go with that exhaust or lack of lol :D:D:D only playing guys o_Oo_O

There is no lack of sound on this M157 Tom;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom