Which ML for LPG 320 or 430?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simonish

Car
C Class Coupe
Just wondering if anyone can throw pearls of wisdom, is the 430 a better motor than the 320? The plan is to convert to LPG so advice is gratefully received

I have absolutely no experience of LPG or petrol MLs, but I reckon if you're going to do it, then it might be nice to have the V8!! ;)

Many more 320 MLs out there than 430 ML so choice will be greater. Cost of install will be greater also-more injectors/holes bored in manifold. If you want economy the 320 would be the best bet IMHO, but those V8s make a lovely noise!

I believe that Mercman in Southampton has an E430 on LPG - might be worth a call for advice / recommendations?

I have the ML320 with LPG installed. Sometimes I really wished that I had gone for the V8. However the install is more expensive on the V8 and with the ever increasing price of both petrol and LPG I fell that I made the correct decision.
I have the donut tank fitted on the spare wheel space and get approx 130miles between fillups of £20. This can be a problem as I regularly do 200+ miles in a single trip!
Resell will be easier on the 320 also.

Last edited:
Simonish said:
Cheers chaps, I must admit the noise of the V8 is tempting me that way

I would try and find one to listen to first, most M-B V8s are a bit disappointing sound-wise (almost silent)!

I had a standard 430 and would never go near old shape MLs again. Unhelpful I know but the list of problems was just too great and was the causal factor in selling on.

Pluses for 320: -
Simpler LPG install, much better economy, okay residuals
Pluses for 430: -
Much more oomph, often better spec'd, and poor residuals meaning more car for your initial outlay

Depends on what you are using it for but the very small range to a fill up would annoy the hell out of me on long journeys.

dougal74 said:
Depends on what you are using it for but the very small range to a fill up would annoy the hell out of me on long journeys.

The annoyance is negated by the cost saving! :D

Seamster15 said:
I have the donut tank fitted on the spare wheel space and get approx 130miles between fillups of £20. This can be a problem as I regularly do 200+ miles in a single trip!
Can you not get a bigger tank? My old P38 Range Rover used to manage about 200 miles and I can't imagine the economy was worse than your ML.

996jimbo said:
Can you not get a bigger tank? My old P38 Range Rover used to manage about 200 miles and I can't imagine the economy was worse than your ML.

Of course I can, but that would have to go in the boot area which I require. The ML has an issue that the donut tank can only be small becuase of the rear axel - atleast that what the LPG installer told me. :(

Seamster15 said:
Of course I can, but that would have to go in the boot area which I require. The ML has an issue that the donut tank can only be small becuase of the rear axel - atleast that what the LPG installer told me. :(
Yep that is what I heard - basically spacesaver size rather than full size. Boot install would not work with Family Pack. The best Rangie conversions are twin undertanks down the flanks I wonder of anyone has designed something similar for the ML?
See here for various 4 x 4 installs: -
http://www.gascarco.com/gallery/album30

Last edited:
Not to sure if the thread is still going but I recently bought a ML500 and had it converted to LPG. I have a 60L tank but that is due to the removable towbar, if the car does not have one a 70L will go on. I am really happy with the whole set up, cost wise it works out the same as 32mpg on petrol (cheaper than a CDI). The conversion cost was £2100 for the lot plus free annual service for life! If anyone is intrested I can go on ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom