Which month do Mercedes update sat nav maps?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGJames

Car
C43
Is there a set schedule for map releases please?

I have NTG5 Star2 and wondered if it's likely I would get a new map version before my free map updates end in October.

Many thanks

V13 came out last Oct/Nov - V14 will probably be out the same time this year, but Mercedes dealers are very slow to source the new updates, so your still likely to get V13 months after the new map is available.

My experience is that maps for current COMAND models are usually released once a year, and usually around November, though on some occasions maps were released twice in the same year, i.e. also in April.

V13 came out last Oct/Nov - V14 will probably be out the same time this year, but Mercedes dealers are very slow to source the new updates, so your still likely to get V13 months after the new map is available.
Didn’t get updates from dealer it’s SDcard so use MBdownload program and do it from pc at home

The OP said he has NTG5*2, which is COMAND.

Other SatNav systems (Becker Map Pilot, Garmin Map Pilot, Navigation 50) get their updated in different ways.

Ah, you don't have COMAND then, or A class is different? The OP has a C Class.

The A Class COMAND unit uses as SD Card (my 2016 A Class did), but the NTG5 unit in the C Class needs to be hooked up to Star to update, this reminds me that mine needs doing.

Didn’t get updates from dealer it’s SDcard so use MBdownload program and do it from pc at home
Most probably your car is equipped with Audio20 and Garmin Map Pilot.

The OP has COMAND NTG5*2 with in-built Navigation, which is a different system.

The A Class COMAND unit uses as SD Card (my 2016 A Class did), but the NTG5 unit in the C Class needs to be hooked up to Star to update, this reminds me that mine needs doing.
I suspect your 2016 A-Class had in fact the Audio20 unit, not COMAND.

(COMAND does have an SD-Card slot, but it is not used for the navigation software, because the navigation functionality is built-in to the COMAND unit hence no need for SD-Card media).

I suspect your 2016 A-Class had in fact the Audio20 unit, not COMAND.

(COMAND does have an SD-Card slot, but it is not used for the navigation software, because the navigation functionality is built-in to the COMAND unit hence no need for SD-Card media).

Apologies you're correct, mine was the Audio 20 with the later Tom Tom System (had the live traffic subscription) and I suspect Jaspo250 is the same. I believe you got the Garmin system (smaller screen as I understand) on the none premium plus pack A Classes.

Apologies you're correct, mine was the Audio 20 with the later Tom Tom System (had the live traffic subscription) and I suspect Jaspo250 is the same. I believe you got the Garmin system (smaller screen as I understand) on the none premium plus pack A Classes.

I believe that the Audio 20 unit was using the Garmin Map Pilot navigation software (off the SD-Card media) with TomTom Live Traffic subscription.

The latest version V13 has been available since the 9th November 2018 in the MB Download Manager so you may just miss the next one.

Screenshot 2019-07-29 at 20.04.18.png

I did my NTG5s1 when I first got the car - downloaded the map data via MB Download Manager from Collection Site - United Kingdom and then got the PIN to activate it.

I did the whole process from home, it took around 3.5 hours for the map installation from the SD card to the built in COMAND HDD and then just a case of popping the provided pin in. The initial download itself I just kicked off overnight and left it to it.

The latest version V13 has been available since the 9th November 2018 in the MB Download Manager so you may just miss the next one.

View attachment 87864

I did my NTG5s1 when I first got the car - downloaded the map data via MB Download Manager from Collection Site - United Kingdom and then got the PIN to activate it.

I did the whole process from home, it took around 3.5 hours for the map installation from the SD card to the built in COMAND HDD and then just a case of popping the provided pin in. The initial download itself I just kicked off overnight and left it to it.

Great thanks. I don’t have a nav SD card so assume I’m stuck using a dealer? (Unless it’s hidden somewhere other than in the centre arm rest?). Or can you just use a usb stick of your choosing? Thanks

If you don't have an SD card slot then just format a 64GB USB stick using NTFS, use the MB Download Manager to download the data onto the USB stick and then just insert it and the system should recognise the data and prompt for the update and then the PIN. From memory it may be USB port specific so if it isn't recognised in the first port swap it to the other.

It's probably worth giving your dealer a call to see if they'll give you the PIN / license needed from VeDoc for activating the map, if not you'd have to either take it to them or buy from other channels.

Do you have the two USB ports in the armrest on that model?

I was under the impression you could do this on newer cars, but not on a 2016 C Class? Has anyone tried?

If you don't have an SD card slot then just format a 64GB USB stick using NTFS, use the MB Download Manager to download the data onto the USB stick and then just insert it and the system should recognise the data and prompt for the update and then the PIN. From memory it may be USB port specific so if it isn't recognised in the first port swap it to the other.

It's probably worth giving your dealer a call to see if they'll give you the PIN / license needed from VeDoc for activating the map, if not you'd have to either take it to them or buy from other channels.

Do you have the two USB ports in the armrest on that model?

Worth a try I guess. Yeah I have the 2 ports thanks.

Worth a try I guess. Yeah I have the 2 ports thanks.
Good luck - just ensure you're using a freshly formatted card so as not to cause any issues and hopefully it should recognise it fine.

If so just make sure you have the PIN before proceeding.

Silly question but has it ever had any updates or are you on the original maps? Is it using Europe maps or just UK as you'd need to select the same map for the update as it has already otherwise it would be a charge for the new map PIN.

Tried downloading the download manager and
Good luck - just ensure you're using a freshly formatted card so as not to cause any issues and hopefully it should recognise it fine.

If so just make sure you have the PIN before proceeding.

Silly question but has it ever had any updates or are you on the original maps? Is it using Europe maps or just UK as you'd need to select the same map for the update as it has already otherwise it would be a charge for the new map PIN.

Just getting a 'Data medium not found/ Storage medium not found' error with a freshly formatted SD card in the Mercedes download manager.

Europe maps that may well be original (v11 2017/2018).

Shame MB doesn't make this easier - costs them money to take my car in for hours and update it rather than letting me do it myself, with a courtesy car thrown in with no cost to me.

Will call MB and see if there are any other options.

Cheers

Edit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom