Which oil and where from?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
mr. shr said:
OK went with Shell Helix from Euro Car Parts in the end. Got the discount so thanks for pointing that out to me.

You don't actually have to prove you're a member of MB Cub or anything. Just use the code and away you go. They told me that there are several car clubs they give discounts to.
But it seems you don't have to be a member of any the forums to get the discount. As long as you know the discount code, then anyone can get it. :dk:

Is the 10w 40 shell helix ok for a C55 AMG? I like the reduced price as I dont have a Costco anywhere near me, but obviously don't want to trash my engine.

Having doubts about engine oils is a very critical thing. Amatuer ish guessing is definitely likely to cost you great mechanical loss as well as monetary loss. It has been long proven that you should continue to use the same oil , same brand, as that which was used in the engine originally. Or step up to a superior grade or brand on professional expert advice. Its not an area where you should be trying to save pennies. And , do you trust all labels and their claims equally ?

I've still got 2 litres of this left over from when I did my mum's 211 a couple of months ago.

My 202 is now due a service. ESS states that grade needs to be 229.3 or 229.5
The 2 litres I have is of 229.5 but only 5w.

Will this be ok to use or is it too runny for an aging 202? i.e. does it need to be 10w?
If I can use this, then I'll simply buy another six litres for the service.

I've just picked up 5l of Exol 5w30 which is both VW507.00 and MB 229.51 from Ebay. When it arrived, it was in the old packaging which doesn't state any MB approvals at all, but I spoke to Exol directly and the chap sent me the data sheet and confirmed that there is no material difference in the product since it first shipped, just it hadn't received the MB cert when they ran the first labels so they could not include it.

£28 and the manufacturer couldn't have been more helpful.

OK so the oil is still coming out of the ground from one of the few pulling it out of the ground, but at least I'm supporting a smaller UK concern. They have other stuff that meets the lesser MB specs too.

Cheers,
Dan.

I'm not a Halfords fan either but they do sometimes have good offers on, they had Castrol Magnatec £17 for a 4L can before Christmas, useful as I have a car that takes 6L of 10/40 semi-synthetic. Even better as I get vouchers from mork which makes it free! I didn't look for 5/30

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom