Which oil and where from?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr. shr

MB Enthusiast
Guys, my Mum's 211 is due an E+ service and indy wants 250 just to replace oil and filters.
I'm thinking I can do those jobs for a lot less than that.

But which brand of oil should I use and where is best place to buy from?
Opie oils suggests the car needs 5w 40.
Helfrauds suggests 5w 40 for their own brand stuff and 10w 40 for Castrol or Mobile.

Car is 2002 W211 2.6ltr petrol v6 (112.913)

Is Costco still a good place to buy oil from?

Any pointers would be most helpful.

You can't go wrong with Mobil-1 from Tesco. Best oil for best price...

But E+ service is more than just an oil and filter change, there are many other checks that needs to be carried out, plus you should also consider other 'additional items' - ATF change, brake fluid change, coolant change (if applicable), fuel filter change, air filter change, cabin filter(s) change, spark plug change (if petrol), etc.

And... the stamp in the book....

Yep, I realise this is a biggie and was put off by the £250 just for oil change and filters.
Would do spark plugs myself too but will ask indy to do the brake fluid change as he has the high pressure gizzmo for doing SBC brakes.

But thing is, I did all the MB service items on my W202 last summer (spark plugs, fuel filter etc) but didn't notice one jot of difference in the car's running.
I just wonder if some of these items do actually need changing every two/four years or if it's just MB over egging it a bit.

Car probably does 5k miles per annum (if that).

Yep, I realise this is a biggie and was put off by the £250 just for oil change and filters.
Would do spark plugs myself too but will ask indy to do the brake fluid change as he has the high pressure gizzmo for doing SBC brakes.

But thing is, I did all the MB service items on my W202 last summer (spark plugs, fuel filter etc) but didn't notice one jot of difference in the car's running.
I just wonder if some of these items do actually need changing every two/four years or if it's just MB over egging it a bit.

Car probably does 5k miles per annum (if that).

I think that's the whole point of preventative maintenance, i.e. not to allow the car's performance to deteriorate. Leave these service items in place for longer, and then you will notice a difference when you finally do replace them...but that would be fire-fighting, not proper maintenance.

For example, while I do agree that the air and fuel filters will not disintegrate at precisely 4 years plus one day, they will eventually get clogged-up, with obvious adverse affect on the car's performance. So changing them in good time is very sensible. Besides, the cost of the filters is really negligible when taken over a 4 year period, so ignoring these is definitely false economy.

Last edited:
That is a very good advice!!!
I intend to do all the work myself and save lots of money by changing all the fluids and filters etc. And the car works like new ! I also change the oil every 5k M and touch wood so far so good and !
So yes you better prevent then to be sorry ;)

Costco is good and most fully synthetic oils for the correct spec will do. The number one thing to do is change the oil when needed over any types or make of oil.
I would question Mobil 1 being the best but it is very good and unless you have a race car it will more than do the job.

Update:
OK so I've ordered the bits to do the service on my Mum's 211.

I can get this oil quite cheap. Would it be ok? Says it's 229.3 spec which is what that engine needs. Any good, or must I insist on the branded stuff?

Hmmmm just been doing a bit of googling and it isn't that cheap.

Where can I get Mobil 1 for £28 please? Opie?

Edit:
Just seen it on Opie.

Last edited:
Thanks for this.
Think I'll pop down to Hellfrauds in a bit to see what they're offering.

Why dont you go on to the Eurocar parts website, choose the oil you want and see what you get with MBclub uk member discount.

Good plan.
Just tried it and there's a nice discount indeed. Does it only apply to online or can you do it for collection too?

its online, but you can click and collect from your nearest ECP.

The stuff I was going to get (Castrol Edge 5w30) is out of stock locally.

Not coming up with any Mobil oil.

OK went with Shell Helix from Euro Car Parts in the end. Got the discount so thanks for pointing that out to me.

You don't actually have to prove you're a member of MB Cub or anything. Just use the code and away you go. They told me that there are several car clubs they give discounts to.
But it seems you don't have to be a member of any the forums to get the discount. As long as you know the discount code, then anyone can get it. :dk:

That's the current offering from Costco, both are 229.2/229.5 (but not 229.51):

oili.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom