Which oil ? M271 engine c200k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

b92753

Car
Mercedes c200k
Which oil do you use in your m271 engine and which one is recommend ? Been told mobil 1 0w 40 is too thin for m271 hence bit of clicking and clatter on cold starts as it leaks out of the tappet valves overnight. So when the engine is started in the morning the valves have to repressurise therefore the clicking. Does this seem about right?

Would 5w 40 shell helix be a good alternative ?

Use this link to find the Mobil recommendations. Shell equivalent will be just as suitable.

Which Oil for my Car? - Mobil? UK & Ireland

I use Mobil 1 New Life 0w/40 in my engine. Currently recommended by Mercedes for use in all Mercedes, according to my local main dealer.

Cheaper from Eurocarparts using MBClub30 online Discount code if doing it yourself.

Last edited:
Use this link to find the Mobil recommendations. Shell equivalent will be just as suitable.

Which Oil for my Car? - Mobil? UK & Ireland

I use Mobil 1 New Life 0w/40 in my engine. Currently recommended by Mercedes for use in all Mercedes, according to my local main dealer.

Cheaper from Eurocarparts using MBClub30 online Discount code if doing it yourself.

Code doesn't seem to be working??

Currently recommended by Mercedes for use in all Mercedes, according to my local main dealer.

Then your dealer is an idiot.

That is an oil meets the MB 229.3 and .5 specs.

It does not meet the MB 229.31 and .51 specs clearly stated as being required by vehicles with Diesel Particulate Filters and Catalytic Converters

Then your dealer is an idiot.

That is an oil meets the MB 229.3 and .5 specs.

It does not meet the MB 229.31 and .51 specs clearly stated as being required by vehicles with Diesel Particulate Filters and Catalytic Converters

Oops, Sorry I did forget that very important DPF option. Apologies :fail

Code doesn't seem to be working??

Just checked it and you're quite right it appears that the 30% discount promotion has finished. MBClub25 works though :thumb:

The eurocarparts code for Mobil 1 New Life is 521771851 - 5 litre & 521771852 - 1 litre
Also the purchase has to meet minimum value to qualify for discount.

Last edited:
I changed my oil about 4weeks ago using mobil 0w 40. Do you think it would be worth changing to 5w-40 shell helix ?

Slightly mixed messages here. A good 5w40 synthetic will be fine. If not then any oil that meets 229.3 or a 229.5 will be fine. MERCEDES do recommend suitable Mobil Oil products that meet their specification BUT NOT EXCLUSIVELY there are many others from other manufacturers equally suitable. For a car with "a few miles under the bonnet" then Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 Fully Synthetic meets MB229.5:thumb:

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 fully synthetic engine oil

Do not be fooled by the other shell helix HX7 10w40 "synthetic technology" oil which is not suitable as it only meets MB229.1

sorry got mixed up there till I saw you were talking about a petrol car.- post now edited :eek:

To be honest I doubt you will see much difference changing from a 0W40 to a 5W40 as long as the engine quietens down once the oli pressure comes up.

Last edited:
b92753 is asking about oil for a C200k M271 Petrol engine not Diesel, so no DPF

Haha if followed this thread I would have had diesel oil in there lol

Mobil 1 New Life 0w/40 is suitable for petrol and diesel engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom