Which Oil ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manofgresley

Car
CLK 320 Elegance Convertible
Hi all.

In this ever increasing world of choice and bewilderment, I have a question about Auto Gearbox Oil.

I have a CLK 320 Automatic, Cabriolet 2001 (W208). It has done 137k miles, but the service history I received with the car, though it was serviced regularly, I cannot find any mention of Gearbox Oil change, so i have decided to do it, oil change that is.

Which / who's oil would members of this forum recommend for my car ? also, while I am at it, who's / which oil for the Final Drive Gearbox should I use?

manofgresley said:
Hi all. In this ever increasing world of choice and bewilderment, I have a question about Auto Gearbox Oil. I have a CLK 320 Automatic, Cabriolet 2001 (W208). It has done 137k miles, but the service history I received with the car, though it was serviced regularly, I cannot find any mention of Gearbox Oil change, so i have decided to do it, oil change that is. Which / who's oil would members of this forum recommend for my car ? also, while I am at it, who's / which oil for the Final Drive Gearbox should I use?
Hi lots of oils available . Mercedes have Spec no. for their oil . My local motor factor do an MB oil from Miller which isn't out of this world price wise. I did mine yesterday actually and flushed the torque converter thru as well. Black cl55 did a very helpful 'how to' on here with useful tips such as leaving a bolt in the sump to let it tilt and get more oil out before removing to replace filter. If you wish to flush the torque converter cut the old filter stub pipe off and find either a piece of hose or tube that's 3/4" od (to go inside) or 24mm id to push over it. I have the luxury of a 2 post lift so placed a large tray underneath with a bottle of oil and the pipe inside to flush. Ideally get someone else to start and stop engine as the pump can suck a litre up pretty quickly and before you know it the bottles dry. I flushed a bit over 2 litres through mine. You will probably need a dipstick off ebay to check oil level ( About £10) There are lots of u-tube videos. It takes longer to find a suitable pipe the right size, hence why I measured it. 3/4 "(19mm) tube is a bit slack but insulating tape will take up the slack for a better fit. In heinsight a trip to a camping shop for a bit of sink waste pipe( clear) might be a good fit over the outside.hope this helps. image-3135332075.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom