Which oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jacco

Car
W203 kompressor
Hello, I am new and thank you for accepting me. I have a Mercedes W203 C200 compressor engine m111. 955 I want to ask What is the best oil as a brand for this engine. I stopped at the original Mercedes oil 5w40, Ravenol VST 5w40, Titan supersun longlife 5w40. If there is something better Suggest please Thank you in advance.

Welcome.

You won't go wrong with the Mercedes-branded oil.

Just make sure that the oil is approved to MB Spec Sheet 229.5.

(229.51 and 229.52 are primarily for Diesel engines, and not ideal for your petrol engine).

The majority will take the advice and stick with the Mercedes branded oil because it is sensible , cheap and an easy thing to do .

But I can see Jacco thinks outside the box , which some of us do...

Now there is nothing wrong with diesel engine oil in petrol , some manufacturers have a dual spec universal oil that is for both and even gets used from basic 3 cylinder to their V10 cylinder petrol engines .

It will certainly contain more dispersants to keep soot and impurities in suspension and detergents keeping the metal clean .

Now 229.5 is also allowed to be a 30 grade which opens up more possibilities , a backwards step ? No, don't confuse increased viscosity with increased anti wear , it's the oil basestock groups and additive package concentration , hell you don't even have to put Mercedes spec oil in a Mercedes , I don't...

The number 1 priority for oil is to prevent wear , everything else is secondary .

How would we know what is what , well thankfully a mechanical engineer who researched tribology tested over 250 oils at high temperatures for oil film strength and a Ravenol is right up there .

Enjoy !

Hello, I am new and thank you for accepting me. I have a Mercedes W203 C200 compressor engine m111. 955 I want to ask What is the best oil as a brand for this engine. I stopped at the original Mercedes oil 5w40, Ravenol VST 5w40, Titan supersun longlife 5w40. If there is something better Suggest please Thank you in advance.
Stay with ravenol vst 5w40. Its a strong oil.

Did that one make the test Aidroos ?

The Ravenol 0W30 VSW USVO came in 5th .

If it's not on the list but probably a top choice , now we must not read and believe everything on these oil bottle labels , but this one seems true .

Ravenol_USVO_logo.gifRavenol_Unternehmen_CleanSynto_GB.jpg

There's obviously a big difference between an inferior oil that would have caused noticeable engine wear 150,000 miles after the car has been scrapped due to its age, and a superior oil that would have caused the same noticeable engine wear 200,000 miles after the car has been scrapped due to it age.

(Practicing dry delivery - no pun intended)

Did that one make the test Aidroos ?

The Ravenol 0W30 VSW USVO came in 5th .

If it's not on the list but probably a top choice , now we must not read and believe everything on these oil bottle labels , but this one seems true .

View attachment 123613View attachment 123614
VST has both USVO and CS. If 0w30 made it to top 5, why would the same base stock with same additives not perform similar or close with 5w40 v. 0w30?

There's obviously a big difference between an inferior oil that would have caused noticeable engine wear 150,000 miles after the car has been scrapped due to its age, and a superior oil that would have caused the same noticeable engine wear 200,000 miles after the car has been scrapped due to it age.

(Practicing dry delivery - no pun intended)
Frankly, I don't have any experience in this field. But if 150K mileage vs 200K mileage is a factor, I'll buy the 50K with better oil.

Snake oil...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom