Which one would you keep? S600 V12 TT or E55AMG W211?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam87

Car
S65AMG V12 BiTurbo & S63AMG V8 BiTurbo Designo
Hello everyone

Genuine question! If you had to choose, which one would you go for, S600 V12 Twin turbo W221 model or an E55AMG W221? I have an S600 at the moment which many of you have seen my thread and I've spent a lot of money on this car but I've been after a designo e55amg for quite some time now. I still haven't found one as they are so rare but I keep looking every day.
The best option would be to have the S600 and the E55AMG but it's not like I'll drive them much and it would be a waste plus unnecessary expenses.

I took the S600 out today and gave it a wash and there must of been at least 5 people that came up to me and spoke about the car while I was cleaning it. I then went for a drive and few people gave me the thumbs up. It's a very nice car and has a lot of road presence but I keep looking at the E55AMG's.... I'm worried I might regret it if I sell the S600 and get the E55AMG and then not be happy with it.

If I was to get an e55amg I would mod that too just to make it my own and the s600 I already have done most of the things I wanted to do to it cosmetically. The e55amg can be tuned and it can be a very fast car ( standard is fast too ) but the S600 can be a seriously fast car with just a remap.

I know this thread might sound silly and even though I never thought I'd buy an s class mercedes, after buying it and doing it up, I like the car. I'm just not a big fan of silver so I'm thinking if I keep it maybe I'll get it wrapped but what colour would suite the S class?

This is the S600 if anyone hasn't seen it yet :D

bbva compass atm locations near me

And this is what I'd like to buy IF and it's a big IF I ever came across one in this colour for sale as I wouldn't buy a silver or black one, it has to be a rare colour which they dont come up that often :rolleyes:

petrol pump near me 24 hours

Last edited:
I just realised I've written e55amg w221, the phone changes it as I've written w221 so many times it thinks I wrote it wrong. I meant e55amg w211:)

Hi,
As the world moves towards electrification and hybrids - your car will become extremely rare and sought after.
Keep it low mileage, immaculate and original - it’s a future high value classic, in my opinion!
Cheers
Steve

Absolute no brainer for me Sam, I would be keeping the S600 all day long!:)

S600 is a better car for day to day driving. Leather dash, alcantara headlining and pillars, long wheel base of the 600, the engine.

I can’t get on with the cabin ergonomics of the 211. Door windows switches and indicator stalk are in the wrong place for me.

All that said, unless you hate driving turbos suck and supercharger wins. So why choose when you can keep both? Being as cheap as they are now.

S600 is a better car for day to day driving. Leather dash, alcantara headlining and pillars, long wheel base of the 600, the engine.

I can’t get on with the cabin ergonomics of the 211. Door windows switches and indicator stalk are in the wrong place for me.

All that said, unless you hate driving, turbos suck and superchargers win. So why choose when you can keep both? Being as cheap as they are now.

Well I think the W221 is one of the best shaped Mercedes ever,and in 600 guise the best there is,your car looks amazing,please please do not wrap it,just enjoy that great car,I am very envious of you owning it.

Having had both, the V12 in a SL600 and now 2 E55's both totally different in the way the power is laid down, the m275 has so much grunt as you know it feels like warp speed when its tasked to, speed increases from 70 to triple figures in the blink of an eye, and just goes on and on with no dramatics.

The 55 well its just that low down punch and torque at very low revs and feels much more aggressive than the more refined 600.

Think you might have to wait a while for your preferred colour, had you thought about wrapping...... I know of a very nice 55 for sale now LOL;):D

It's the S600 for me.

I think you’d find the W211 a step down from the W221 in terms of how it feels.

Yes the E55K is a great car but it would be a shame to lose all of the luxury/features/tech of the 221 regardless of how the two cars perform and drive, IMHO.

Why not look out for an S65? I know the performance of the TT 600 isn’t bad but the extra AMG bits might bridge the gap for what you’re missing? :cool:

S600

That comes from an ex-S500 W220 owner

The S-Class is sublime. Most other vehicles are cars. The S-Class is the way it should be

Yes 221. I am biased. Had mine from new, picked it up from the factory in 2008. 161,000 miles later, still moves along and it's only a 500 :D

Why not look out for an S65? I know the performance of the TT 600 isn’t bad but the extra AMG bits might bridge the gap for what you’re missing? :cool:

The best bang for buck in this instance is the 600, the price difference between the two does not make much sense to me, performance wise the 600 i owned previously with a safe map increased bhp and torque by a big chunk, obviously the AMG versions look like an AMG, I preferred the stealth angle, my 600 looked like a 350...well apart from the massive profile tyres, brake calipers and the V12 emblem. :D

What do you use the car for ? How many miles / hours in it ? What's important you ?

Both cars are successful amongst their users, but what kind of user are you?

(You'd never guess I spent most of my life doing "change management" and user requirements, would you? )

As a past BMW M3 fan, the W211 sounds the more obvious choice, but as a past CL500 and Lexus owner, that points more towards the S600

I'd keep that lovely S class, even though I'm a big fan of the E55.

I reckon there is a man that goes by the name of Dennis that might be interested in that lovely colour E55;):D

My immediate reaction is E55K and I am biased towards them.

But that is because I had one for well over 5 years and I thoroughly enjoyed and loved that car.

Appraising your situation, I would hang on to the S600.

Firstly, because it looks great and is "well sorted" so you are unlikely to need to spend anything of it (unless this doesn't concern you).

Secondly, S600s are quite rare. Arguably a much better specification as standard and more comfortable to drive. I've driven a 10 plate W221 S500 with £20k of options and it was a nice place to be.

Thirdly, as much as it pains me to say it, the E55K is getting on a bit now. I actually prefer the look of your S600 over the E55 you posted by quite some margin, even though I've always loved the look of the W211 in its own right and always will.

Fourthly, I prefer the newer technology and safety advances of a newer car. OK the difference is only 4 years apart but the S is obviously bigger too.

Fifthly, I have no interest in modding cars in terms of performance now, so c600 out the box is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom