Which R129 Variant To Buy ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vito

I have had my very reliable R107 for many years now and experienced very few problems with it , due to the fact that if serviced regularly little can go wrong with this model.

Which model of the R129 suffers from the least problems ,always assuming it has had a reasonable amount of care during it's life ?

Many thanks.

I Had an anniversary R129 - one of the last straight 6 320's
Looked lovely in Flip Paint -
Only things that played up were the Key recognition and the Electronic Climate neither was a major issue - it was a weekend car I enjoyed it for 3 years
Guess the main difference in ongoing reliability between your 107 and the 127 would be electronics (see above)
Wish I had kept it sold it for a pittance as I recall

I would say that the final editions would have the least maintenance overhead thanks to the lack of rather troublesome distributors found on the earlier models and better diagnostic capabilities due to OBD2.

I would say that the final editions would have the least maintenance overhead thanks to the lack of rather troublesome distributors found on the earlier models and better diagnostic capabilities due to OBD2.

It would appear logical that the longer a vehicle has been in production the more problems have been ironed out in the final editions.

Do the final editions suffer from wiring loom problems, soft top malfunctions and other electrical failures ?

My own research pointed me at 1996-98 cars, so the first facelift but before the cost-cutting after the Chrysler merger.

Production ceased in 2002 ish so he latest ones are approaching 12 years old
I would assume that as most survivors having been owned by enthusiasts problems would have been resolved
FWIW - I never had any Loom or soft Top Problems

Do the final editions suffer from wiring loom problems, soft top malfunctions and other electrical failures ?

No loom issues, but the soft top is the same throughout. I wouldn't say the distributors are "troublesome", they just have a comparatively short service life. You quickly get the feel for when they're due replacement.

Other electrical failures - can you be more specific?

My own research pointed me at 1996-98 cars, so the first facelift but before the cost-cutting after the Chrysler merger.

Yup I've had my '97 for 10 years now and touch wood it's been pretty good. Only four issues ... none of which put the car out of action:

Gearbox electrical plate - common to all M-Bs with that 5-speed box and a relatively cheap job
ADS accumulators (spheres) replaced - these have a finite lifespan, most R129s don't have ADS anyway
Plastic windows in hood cracked - normal at that age, replacement not that expensive
Some hood/window/rollbar errors came up after low voltage when starting - cleared on STAR and I kept the car on a maintenance charger after that

Would recommend the 500 as the best all-rounder, SL60 would be nice but they are rare and a lot more expensive.

Last edited:
No loom issues, but the soft top is the same throughout. I wouldn't say the distributors are "troublesome", they just have a comparatively short service life. You quickly get the feel for when they're due replacement.

Other electrical failures - can you be more specific?

Electric seats,wiper motor and window problems.

I understand that a lot of problems with the electrical system can be put down to less than careful auto electricians fitting after market 'goodies',which is hardly the fault of the car but very time consuming trying to trace various malfunctions.

A very valid point.

You have only to look at the build quality of the CLK's et al to verify that.

I dont think the R129 model really suffered from cost cutting since it was already in production.

Some would argue that the change from the 119 engine to the 113 was a cost cutting measure but there is more than a reasonable argument to suggest that the 113 engine was an improvement despite its fewer valves and simpler overall design.

The later models also came with more toys as standard, so rather than cost cutting, they seemed to be on a mission to use up all of the parts bin before launching the R230.

I dont think the R129 model really suffered from cost cutting since it was already in production.

Some would argue that the change from the 119 engine to the 113 was a cost cutting measure but there is more than a reasonable argument to suggest that the 113 engine was an improvement despite its fewer valves and simpler overall design.

The later models also came with more toys as standard, so rather than cost cutting, they seemed to be on a mission to use up all of the parts bin before launching the R230.

Thank you for your advice.

The later models certainly do have more toys but being a bit old fashioned I have found that more toys normally equate to more potential problems,if that makes sense.

I think the model most suitable for me is the first face lift with the M104 3.2 straight six circa 1997.
The next problem is finding a good one.

This article seems quite informative on the R129.

Mercedes-Benz SL buying guide (1989-2002)

Also have a read of the Ken Rockwell pages. Most of what he says is on the button but there are one or two areas that I have my doubts on. Mercedes SL500 R129 1990s History

My favourite is the one where he says that the titanium blades on the front grill are made from Eurofighter turbine blades. :D

If you are going for a 320 the V6 is an infinitely better engine.

I think the best engine is a V8 so 500 or 60... I am biased but I think all SL's from the 80's onwards were made for V8's...
Just so much more balanced.

I actually prefer the late M119 engine, I think its one of the best engines MB ever designed. Not a massive fan of the 113... not sure why maybe the 16 plugs or the leaking cam covers... I dont know, just not the same as a M119 for me.

I actually prefer the late M119 engine, I think its one of the best engines MB ever designed. Not a massive fan of the 113... not sure why maybe the 16 plugs or the leaking cam covers... I dont know, just not the same as a M119 for me.

The M119 won Le Mans too :)

Also have a read of the Ken Rockwell pages. Most of what he says is on the button but there are one or two areas that I have my doubts on. Mercedes SL500 R129 1990s History

My favourite is the one where he says that the titanium blades on the front grill are made from Eurofighter turbine blades. :D

Interesting read , thank you.

I have no basic objection to purchasing an SL500 if I could find a well cared for one at a reasonable cost but they seem few and far between.I drive my 1981 280 SL as a cruiser and my driving habits do not really require the extra horses.

If the front grill were made from the turbine blades of the F-22 Raptor there would be some performance.:D

the post facelift 280 and 320's suffer from headgasket problems but all in all r129's are pretty robust well made machines imo

For what its worth I thought I would share my thoughts on this. I have had quite a few mercs over the years inc amg editions etc. I bought my first 129 sl last monday.. it is the 500 and after a little bit of sorting out today (still a few dashboard sensor lights occasionally appearing) I have to say that it is truly awesome. It is my weekend car so I am not bothered about poor fuel economy etc etc. I had been thinking about a 280 or 300 or tried to sell myself on the 320 and they are great cars - i viewed quite a few. A late edition 320sl with the pan roof in silver and amg kit woulkd suit lovely - but if you are on a budget and just want to enjoy the buzz of the sl then go for the v8.

Today after picking up the car from a service with the hood down through a tunnel (and the first time I found first gear to do a standing start) I can not recommend enough a v8 :) trust me on this, it is brutal and still has that classic merc tank like build quality. I guess it depends on what you want from the car but if you can live with 15 -20 mpg and the odd niggle here or there then go for the V8.... top tip - if it starts to get a bit moist on the road dont floor it.. it will slide all the way up the road (I found this out just as an experiment!)

Go for it and enjoy - they are all awesome and full of character in their own way...

For what its worth I thought I would share my thoughts on this. I have had quite a few mercs over the years inc amg editions etc. I bought my first 129 sl last monday.. it is the 500 and after a little bit of sorting out today (still a few dashboard sensor lights occasionally appearing) I have to say that it is truly awesome. It is my weekend car so I am not bothered about poor fuel economy etc etc. I had been thinking about a 280 or 300 or tried to sell myself on the 320 and they are great cars - i viewed quite a few. A late edition 320sl with the pan roof in silver and amg kit woulkd suit lovely - but if you are on a budget and just want to enjoy the buzz of the sl then go for the v8.

Today after picking up the car from a service with the hood down through a tunnel (and the first time I found first gear to do a standing start) I can not recommend enough a v8 :) trust me on this, it is brutal and still has that classic merc tank like build quality. I guess it depends on what you want from the car but if you can live with 15 -20 mpg and the odd niggle here or there then go for the V8.... top tip - if it starts to get a bit moist on the road dont floor it.. it will slide all the way up the road (I found this out just as an experiment!)

Go for it and enjoy - they are all awesome and full of character in their own way...

Glad you're enjoying it, 15-20 seems a bit low to me, I don't really know what I get but I've always "guestimated" it at around 20-25. Could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom