Which S Class W221 should I buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrWriter

Car
Mercedes-Benz S class - W221

I’m looking to buy a used S class, the W221 shape, and would like some advice.

I’ve always driven BMWs: 3, 5 and 7 series. I usually buy used cars that are between 3 to 8 years old.

I actually got to drive a W221 about three years ago and I don’t think I’ll ever forget how smooth, quiet, comfortable and refined it was, and so easy to drive too - more so than the BMW 7 series even and I didn’t think any car would be as smooth and quiet as a 7 series. I've always loved the idea of owning a Merc, but was a little concerned about the astronomical running/servicing/parts costs - based on what I've heard or read over the years.

Anyway, I’d like a bit of advice before buying a used W221 if W221 other owners and those in the know could be so kind to assist with your knowledge.

First question - servicing/parts/maintenance costs:
First things first, obviously a Merc is going to cost more to own and run than a Ford Mondeo, for obvious reasons, but comparing to my current car (a 2006 model BMW 320i petrol) how much more is a W221 going to cost me to run and maintain? I know the fuel bill will be higher (though I’m yet to work out by how much as my BMW gets me 36mpg combined), but I’m talking about servicing, maintenance and parts etc here and I’m a keen DIY sort of guy and I am capable of changing pads, discs, air filter, cabin filter, oil, spark plugs and similar things. Though I can not do more complex things like fix a gearbox or replace a rear diff with a refurb unit.

Do Mercedes parts cost more to buy than BMW parts - both from dealers and the likes of Euro Car Parts and German & Swedish for example?

I don’t want to buy a W221 if the bills are going to be astronomical compared to my BMW 320i.

Second question - reliability:
Is the W221 a reliable car? I keep reading conflicting things on the internet. Sometimes I’ll read that Mercedes always score really low in owner survey reliability studies and sometimes I’ll read that they score higher in owner reliability surveys. Would a W221 be more, or less, reliable than a BMW 7 or Audi A8 for example?

Third question - which W221:
Which W221 would you recommend. I’m looking to buy a used one between the year 2010 and 2013 (due to budget constraints as I intend to buy it outright). I’m not a huge fan if diesel, but I would consider one in the case of the W221 due to the mpg figures, I suspect the petrol ones will not even do 20mpg combined. Realistically, I’d like to get a ‘real world’ combined mpg of at least 27.

Fourth question - what to look for:
When buying a used W221, what should I be looking out for and checking while inspecting a used one and test-driving it? Are their any common known faults or issues that I need to be aware of and checking for?

Thanks so much in advance, I know this is one question in four parts, but I really hope to gain some W221 knowledge here before looking on the used market for one.

Last edited:
The years that you mention would be a W220.

They can be ruinously expensive to maintain, mine cost £7k in one year at 5 years old.

That era wasn't Mercedes' finest hour.

DrFeelgood, it wouldn't be a W220, that was from 1998-2005. I'm talking about a W221 from 2006-2013, more specifically I want to buy a W221 made between 2010 and 2013.

I apologise, I think I made an error in my original posting, where I put I'd like to buy a yese one between 2000 and 2003, I actually meant to put between 2010 and 2013 - sorry about that.

If you're worried about the costs of an S class you're looking at the wrong car.
I had a 2006 S320 w221 and it was brilliant, well over 40mpg and it didn't cost me a penny on any other parts..... Until the air con needed re gassing and my indy said it had a timing chain rattle and advised me to get rid of it, he wouldn't fix and he's an honest guy.
I now run a BMW x3 as my other car, which could be comparable to your 3 series, personally I hate the x3 and all bmws as I find they aren't a patch on mercs for comfort.
But if you want to buy a German rolls royce don't expect to do it on a budget.
You can't compare reliability, you may get a good one or a bad one, but one big issue will cost you the price of your 3series if you can't diy repair it.
I'm looking at throwing the x3 in for a phaeton now!

You can save a fair bit on repairs and servicing by using an indy once its out of warranty. Labour charge is up to half of main dealer and quite honestly I have read too many times of main dealers missing things yet still charging. (Filters especially come to mind).
An S Class will never be totally cheap to run and maintain, after all they were £50k - £150k new but will be a big step up in quality and comfort to a 3/5 series BMW.
If you see one you fancy, try and get it inspected by an independant MB tech (indy) before signing on the dotted line. It could save you £0000's in the long run to get a clean bill of health. MB approved cars aren't infallable either.

You should get a nice spec car with as many gadgets as you can. My last one had massage seats and air pockets in the seats that inflated when you went round a corner. Check for front suspension squeaks as well. Problem is, once you've had one its hard to go back!

I don’t want to buy a W221 if the bills are going to be astronomical compared to my BMW 320i.
Thanks so much in advance, I know this is one question in four parts, but I really hope to gain some W221 knowledge here before looking on the used market for one.
\

Stick with your BMW 320i. There's not a hope in hell of a W221 (or a BMW 7 series) costing anywhere near the same to run as Germany's definitive small Executive saloon.

It's not Advanced Maths. When new a S500 cost three times that of a 320i.

The worst internet whingers about car reliability on t'internet are people who run expensive cars without maintaining them, and who are shocked, shocked, to discover that cars need to be serviced and bits occasionally repaired or replaced.

The BMW 320i is a fantastic car. Enjoy it for the fabulous bargain that it is.

$_86.JPG

Honestly I really doubt the scaremongering on here.

An S350 diesel is mechanically no different to a C350 diesel. Same gearbox, same engine.

Both cars have complex electrics with ESP and all the sensors that go with it and they’re broadly shared between models.

The only difference is the S class has an air suspension system and slightly larger brake discs and a few more features inside the cabin, which won’t fail.

You might get a big bill with an air sprung car but that’s relatively unlikely on the age of cars you’re looking at. They are reliable. If you buy a C or E class with that engine/gearbox you’ve got the same risks and exactly the same cost of routine servicing and parts. The v6 diesel is a reasonably reliable engine (it’s spanned 3 generations of E class) and the gearbox design is perfectly reliable.

My E class needs 4x new shock absorbers and it’s not even 70k miles old. The cost of replacing them is less than buying a new Airmatic pump on an S class.

Ignore the doubters, it won’t cost much more to run than your BMW and you should buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An S350 diesel is mechanically no different to a C350 diesel. Same gearbox, same engine.

Both cars have complex electrics with ESP and all the sensors that go with it and they’re broadly shared between models.

The only difference is the S class has an air suspension system and slightly larger brake discs and a few more features inside the cabin, which won’t fail.

You might get a big bill with an air sprung car but that’s relatively unlikely on the age of cars you’re looking at. They are reliable. If you buy a C or E class with that engine/gearbox you’ve got the same risks and exactly the same cost of routine servicing and parts. The v6 diesel is a reasonably reliable engine (it’s spanned 3 generations of E class) and the gearbox design is perfectly reliable.

My E class needs 4x new shock absorbers and it’s not even 70k miles old. The cost of replacing them is less than buying a new Airmatic pump on an S class.

Ignore the doubters, it won’t cost much more to run than your BMW and you should buy one.

Have you owned one?

Have you owned one?

Uncle has for 5 years and 80k miles. Nothing has fallen off it and bar a lambda sensor and abs sensor nothings gone wrong on it and won’t either. I’m tempted to buy it off him but really want the W222 newer shape.

Strangely I had a lambda go on the E class and the abs sensor could go on any car at any age. I think it’s a Bosch part. He didn’t say that it was particularly expensive.

The hysteria about these cars is very misguided. They’re built of the same components that the rest are. Bar air suspension there’s nothing different about them other than well, they’re bigger, more comfortable and a little bit more ponderous to drive.

In that case, ignore me and go for it OP, the experts have spoken.

Lots of them EBay are being sold by east Europeans who see them as the ultimate status symbol.
But when something goes wrong that’s when they realise why they were so cheap to buy in the first place

These guys ain’t daft!!

I tend to agree. I had a new S Class in 2007 which I kept for 3 years and 50k miles and it was all fine. I have had the Airmatic suspension on various cars, the longest on an ML for 70k miles, again all good.
There is ,of course, risk with anything we do in life. If you want to enjoy the finest and most stress free driving experience which Mercedes make, then you must balance this risk with the price you pay.
Or just buy or get a proper warranty with the car.

Oh!...and unless someone knows differently or you are 007, we only live once.;)

Lots of them EBay are being sold by east Europeans who see them as the ultimate status symbols.
When something goes wrong that’s when they realise why they were socheap to buy in the first place

These guys ain’t daft!!

Same caveats apply to any “premium” car.

Would you like to know what it costs to replace a DSG on a golf or a4?

There’s no fundamental difference bar the suspension between a C class or S class.

The lexus will be quieter, more comfortable , cheaper to maintain, cheaper to run, more reliable, have as many bells and whistles but all standard, and it'll probably be cheaper than your 3 series.
The only thing is it's not a mercedes.

Hi Mr. Writer,

I've got an S350 bluetec (diesel) from 2011. If it helps your choice: Consumption since new = 37 mpg. Tyre use: 4 tyres (Michelin) changed at 32200 miles. Parts changed: NOx sensor changed under guarantee 2013, Front wheel speed sensor changed in 2016, out of guarantee but done FOC.

There are certainly cars that are cheaper, but I've never had an other car that was such a pleasure to drive :).

My advice - try to find one with Comfort seats, Distronic+ and Harman Kardon.

The lexus will be quieter, more comfortable , cheaper to maintain, cheaper to run, more reliable, have as many bells and whistles but all standard, and it'll probably be cheaper than your 3 series.
The only thing is it's not a mercedes.

They’re a phenomenal car I’ll give you that.

So both things that failed on @todes car were items that are fitted to every Mercedes passenger car rather than ones exclusive to the S class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom