which scanner for sl55 R230

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rudycob1

Car
SL 55 AMG
Hi,
Looking for advise on which scanner you would advise to get, besides STAR , for diagnostic function and being able to reset service lights when they appear. I do a lot of the work, basics, myself but need to be able to reset service and read fault codes, etc.
My SL55 has an OBDll plug not the round pin type.
thanks in advance.

I have the icarsoft MB11 and have used it on my CLK and the Sprinter. The cost is reasonable and the functionality is good, plus it is updated online via the website.

My iCarsoft MB 2 arrived yesterday, I am just about to plug it in to my C55 AMG and have a 'poke around' . I installed the software on my laptop and downloaded its upgrade last night, didn't take long and was pretty straightforward. The unit itself looks pretty robust for home use.

And provided it does what it says on the tin it will be money well spent.

Let us know how you get on with it.
can I ask were you purchased it from.
thanks.

I use a Knock off Delphi.
Used it yesterday to release the air from a front strut, which made it easier to get off.
Today to fit new strut & pressure it up before lowering it to the ground, then went for a ride & then made sure the levels were all good.

Its been telling me for months I have had an open circuit on my strut & it was correct.
Also it showed me last week that my wife's throttle potentimeter had gone south along with her Glow plug heater module...paid for itself over the years.

Let us know how you get on with it.
can I ask were you purchased it from.
thanks.
Downloaded software on to lap top from their website (quick and easy) then upgraded the TF card they sent in the device via the TF/USB adapter that comes in the box with the iCarsoft MB 2. This will be how you will install any free updated they supply in the future, the TF (micro SD card) lives in the iCarsoft unit and you only remove it to update via your laptop.

Plugged it into car , read a bunch of historical fault codes (including a scary looking transmission one). Decided they were old history and one by one deleted them. Driven almost 90 miles since and none of the 'faults' have returned.

Plug it in ,get some on else to drive and simply scroll through and watch just about every function of your car in live action on the screen in front of you . Hours of fun !

Buy one you won't regret it. Got mine from a well known South American jungle warehouse online supplier.

Is this tool just for Mercs or for multiple car brands?

Are the updates free?

Is this tool just for Mercs or for multiple car brands?

Are the updates free?
This particular one (iCarsoft MB 2) is just for Mercedes Benz , Smart car and Sprinter and has OBD11/EOBD. It has multi language support .

Updates are free on line, just take the micro SD (supplied) out of the device and put it in the USB adapter (supplied) plug it into your laptop or PC and go to their website to upgrade. Simple.

Mine arrived yesterday. Updated it and looking forward to trying it out on my sl55.
Want to clear service overdue date as already done. Let's see if it can do it.

Just a slight correction, the iCarsoft MBii can and does read any vehicle with an OBD port.
Just select the correct make in the options.

Tony

Just a slight correction, the iCarsoft MBii can and does read any vehicle with an OBD port.
Just select the correct make in the options.

Tony
You are correct, but when I plugged it into the wife's Vauxhall some of the codes were a bit gobbledygook. probably easily decipherable using the interweb , AND by someone interested in what a Vauxhall has to say :)

Apologies for dragging up an old thread... will the icarsoft MB11 be capable of switching of/putting into service mode the SBC Brakes on my 2003 SL55 AMG for a brake disc/pad change and resetting any faults afterwards... ? I realise I can disconnect the rear battery before and after.. just looking at options..

After extensive use I can answer my own question... No iCarsoft MB2 V2 will not put your SBC brakes into service mode. you will have to unplug the cable from the SBC computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom